Is anyone having altitude effects?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by WeBee7, Aug 17, 2005.

1. WeBee7

WeBee7 New Member

Three years ago I moved to a much higher elevation (5000+ feet). My illness started right after. I have been to several cities (so cal, seattle, even so arizona) that are much lower and have felt much better while down there. Within a day of return, I am complete stiff again. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this...
    karyn
  2. tilla

tilla New Member

Yes, we live at 8,000 feet (Lake Tahoe) in the summer and then go to AZ in the winter. I feel a lot worse here. I mentioned to my doctor that I am having a hard time breathing and getting used to the altitude, we have lived here 9 years but it was getting worse each year.

My blood pressure went up and I mentioned I snore. I had an oxygen in your blood test and found I was deficient. I am now on oxygen at night and feel a lot better. I have even cut back on my cymbalta. All the symptoms of sleep apnea seem to be the same as FM and CFS. I will be having a complete sleep study done the end of next month.

The oxygen test is easy and you just wear a thing on your finger all night and it is free.

Hope this helps,

Tilla
  3. apoc2323

apoc2323 Member

Hi there,

I've been struggling with living at about 5400 ft high in the Denver area, because, similar to your story, my symptoms are all much worse here on average. More pain, fatigue, lightheadedness, trouble sleeping, etc. After recently taking a trip to the east coast I confirmed for the third or fourth time (enough to make me feel pretty sure!) that I feel way better at lower elevations. I spent a few days on the beach on long island, NY and felt better than I had in the whole 7 years I've been ill except for another time when I was staying on an island beach in Thailand.

For some reason those warm beaches make me feel like I'm not sick at all, whereas everywhere else I have varying degrees of illness. Anyway, just wanted to share my experiences since it seems that living higher up the past two years is quite a significant decrease in my well-being. Even when I was busy and stressed on my visit to New England this summer I still recovered faster and felt less discomfort.

Strangely I feel a little better when I go even higher up in the mountain to 9-10,000 ft high, maybe because the air is so fresh (but I don't stay up there for long).

This has been my experience, I wish you the best with feeling better.

Michael
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yo, from Denver here. I grew up at more than a mile high. The body of a person like me is much more efficient at utilizing oxygen. That's why athletes train at high altitude. Someone moving there may never acclimate to the thinner air. Also, in the wintertime, the air quality in the Denver Metro Area is worse than in LA due to the lack of oxygen in the air. Even if the air is clean, there are fewer molecules of oxygen per liter of air. I don't know if my body has lost its edge with the oxygen thing. When I visit Denver, I feel fine.

The problem is that every year between Jan. and Mar., everyone seemed to have allergies, bronchitis, asthma and Strep throat. I developed asthma and felt horrible. I decided to move the FL and the difference is amazing. I don't get short of breath here and seldom ever have to use my inhaler unless I run into perfume or perfumed cleaning products.

I also do so much better on Eastern Time. I don't know why. Living at sea level allows me to be more active. I sold Medicare Insurance in both Denver and here. What I first noticed here was that there weren't so many older people on oxygen. Seniors are far more active here.

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time with the altitude.

Love, Mikie
    apoc2323 likes this.
  5. apoc2323

apoc2323 Member

Thank you for the kind reply, Mikie. It feels good to have my suspicions confirmed since I didn't know other people had similar issues. My exercise induced asthma is much worse out here, too, which you mentioned. I think I'll plan to move to the east coast as soon as possible! Thats where I grew up.

Thank you,

Michael
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Michael, my DSIL grew up in NY and now lives in Denver. He's a runner and has horrible asthma. When he first came to FL, he couldn't believe he didn't wheeze and felt as though he could run forever without getting winded or tired.

I love CO and am going back in Dec. to visit family. Can't wait. I usually go in the winter just to remember what it's like to be cold outside. Haven't skied in years but would like to again. My visit isn't long enough this time. Good news is that I used reward points for my ticket. Yea!

God luck to you. I hope you can either acclimate or move. Asthma is miserable. BTW, I now have slight COPD but it's likely from smoking when I was young.

Love, Mikie
  7. mbofov

mbofov Member

There is anecdotal evidence that B12 can help prevent altitude sickness - you can google it for more info.

Mary