Is anyone here in their Twenties?? (<_<) (>_>)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by OptimusUndead, Mar 7, 2006.

1. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

I was just curious to how many people on this board are in their Twenties ?? I would assume there aren't too many, but post up if you are. (^_^)

When did your symptoms start?... and how are you coping?.

I never found it to be a problem being younger, or thought twice about it, but it seems i'm quite young for the boards on average. Just as long as there's intelligent and supportive conversations i'm there, thats why i love these boards, people understand.
  2. HeathersJourney

HeathersJourney New Member

I am 29 - will be 30 in August. My symptoms started in 2001 when I was 24. I feel like the baby of the bunch!
  3. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

i'm 29. started getting FM symptoms around 2 years ago. am feeling much much better, but i definitely still feel some symptoms - mainly pain in the neck and shoulders and feet. also feel really tired sometimes for no good reason and sleep is still screwy (unrefreshing). the last 2 years have been a long battle and i fight every step of the way. trying different meds, exercise, slowing down, continuing working, keeping optomistic etc... Curretly am on .25 klonopin, 75 Effexor, 35 Nortriptiline, and 2.5 mg Ambien. I alternate swimming and walking every other day and do restorative yoga daily. I feel about 60-70% better. But i still have a ways to go.

4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Hello I am 29 also and will be 30 in July EEEK! LOL

I have been sick with fibro since I was 23-24 years old.

As for now how i am coping, I workout through Yoga and Pilates. I need to start walking again but one thing at a time.

I have been very ill lately dealing with weakness in my body and daily intense pain.

I have FM, CFS, IBS and Depression. However my depression has not been that bad lately but have my little breakdowns here and there but I recover rather quickly and it never lingers for more than a day.

I am having trouble with the medical system and getting the meds that I need to handle my pain. So I decided that I am going to sloooowly wean myself off the meds (Zoloft, Xanax and Baclofen) and go completely natural as I have already done with my foods but add more supplements, and exercise. So I don't have to be trying to fight with the county system for help (I don't have health insurance). The stress alone from dealing with that causes fibro and cfs flare ups that I just do not need anymore.

I have seen the exercise help and eating healthy help with some functions in my body so I am wanting to go completely natural at this point.

So basically I want to be using medication on rare occurrences. I just got the "Fibromyalgia Cookbook" book today in the mail so I can't wait to try that out.

Anyway I do attend school online going after my degree and take my time with that. I no longer work anymore for the time being until I start to feel a little more better.

Anyway this board has a wealth of information for all ages and I love that. In addition to being a great support system as well.

Many hugs,
  5. spacee

spacee Member

There were some 20 somethings there. But there isn't really any places for just chatting. You can read the posts of how the protocol works and the people's lab tests, and Phase 1.

There is a doc who used to post here who has 150 patients on it. But usually it is very difficut to find a "MP" doc.

Good Luck to you! Spacee
  6. BHopeful

BHopeful New Member

29 as well. We'll be 30 in August. Been sick for 10 years (only moderatley though, which I'm grateful). I really have relapse/remission cycles with my CFS. Have had very good years and then not so good years.

Having a good one now so fingers crossed...

7. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

There are a few of us young people on here! My FM started after a car accident about 8 years ago. I was rear-ended while at a stop & the other car was going about 40mph. Ever since, my neck, shoulders, arms & upper back always hurt. When they get real bad it goes into a full fledged migraine. Then there's the lower half pf my body - more of the same - fell in the shower about 5 years ago & bulged a couple of discs.

So, I've seen about 100 doctors, tried way more than 100 different meds & supplements, like so many others here. Finally just last March I was diagnosed with FM.

I am young, but I have to say I feel really old. I have 2 kids (one mine, one fiance's) & live the same life as some 30 & 40 year olds - well the ones with FM anyways. It is very hard to try to balance work, family life, and this damn pain & fatigue I have all the time.

Well, I have to agree - no matter the age group, there are very caring, understanding people on this board who DO understand, which is more than I can say for most people.

Take care,

8. I've not been able to work since August of 2000, at the age of 22, 4 months after getting married. :-( I have a wonderful husband, needless to say, no children, :-( 2 wonderful dogs for my companions at night when he works (he's gone anywhere from 2:30pm to 1-3/4am)...(usually to 2-3am).

I worked as a CNA at our local nursing homes and then for the last 6 wks or so at the hospital where I loved being a CNA on the 4th floor, and was thinking of going into EMT work, as I already had my certification.

I was also a combatmedic in the National Guards, and had my drill weekends 1 weekend a month, and annual training 2-3wks a year, and loved those, but, that is where I got really really sick, and had a heat stroke, and 2nd degree sun poisoning, and shortly after coming home from one, began vomiting, for absolutely no apparent reason, and soon after, had to leave work,

and my health spun out of control, and never bounced back.. then I had brain lesions, pancreas problems, every G.I. problem known to man, etc... in the years to come, and the mercury toxicity, viral, bacterial & other infections...

I'm constantly 'trying out' all different types of treatments for my integrative medicine doctor, I can't just sit by and lay in bed getting sicker, and not contributing to our household, & costing us money, not doing anything. Even if I never get better, I told my husband, I owe it to myself, and the both of us, to try absolutely every treatment that comes our way, and then if I don't get better... well, I've tried..

Newest (and one i'm NOT looking foreward to..) treatment... B1(thiamin) injections daily, IM, and then to be added to them, 'beef liver' 4 x's a week... a treatment protocol for MS, that a man has been on for 25yrs or so, for MS in Canada, and swears by, it's gotten him out of his wheelchair, I think it's called the Klepper protocol, but I don't remember.. I have the site bookmarked, though..I'm not thrilled about it, but read enough about it, that, B1 can't hurt... I've already done 6months of Glutathione I.V. 3x's a week, & B12 once a week. I have had needles coming out my ears,! LOL....

We will see...

(((((((hang in there all....)))))))

9. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I'm 28 and have been sick for 10 years now. I am so much worse than I was in the beginning. Each year I get a new syndrome or diagnosis to add to the other 10 or so that I already have. It seems my body is shutting down. Way too young for that. It is sad to be so young and so sick.
  10. ExMechanic

ExMechanic New Member

I am 27, and gonna be 28 may 6th. The symptoms started around 18. I was finnally diagnosed in dec. And I am a guy, which makes it not as common for me to have it. It has gotten pretty bad lately for me. But a person has to fight on.
  11. My primary doctor told me 2 or 3 years ago, she was getting

"more and more 20-something women in here sicker and sicker, primarily with stomach complaints, but, with widespread stuff going on too....and I don't know what it is, nor what to do with them".

I became disabled at 22, but was getting very sick, with neck problems, & crippling hip pain, etc at age 19, before & especially (neck) after a car accident that year, and had the worsening of fibro symptoms.. My mom was already diagnosed, then her older syster, Then my dad's sister, and then my mom's youngest sister. My maternal grandmother had it also, it was just called differently back then, with "myalgia & myositis" and others,...

I had symptoms of CFS throughout high school, and I don't remember when I really felt good. My mom doesn't either really. She remembers as I do also, that I quit eating breakfast around 12/13 yrs old, due to extreme nausea/dizzyness in the mornings. I had to get up half an hr before anyone else, just sit on my bed, have coffee, darkness, & quiet. To "pull my head together" mornings have always been sooo horrible on me. I just felt like I hadn't slept in days, felt like death, and...just wanted to cry, every day, I was so tired, and my head would be spinning. I couldn't imagine having to drag into the horrible horrible school hallways, noisy bells, kids screaming, those *awful* fluorescent bulbs buzzing & blinding me, zapping the life out of me, giving me headaches & sucking the....."being' out of me.. ugh...

I had stomach problems from age 10 & on... (joys of divorce!) age 14 it was called "spastic colon" whatever... I called it "Oh my GOD I"m DYING!" (lol) ...and the rest...(GRR!!) "teenage equivolent of it's all in your head"= growing pains....

yuck...unhappy thoughts/flashbacks..huh...

i sure hope I can make some progress this year, always hope every year "this will be the year".... I've just gotta get somewhere this year... I wanna life with my hubby..

12. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Mine's been comming on since early childhood (starting with awful headaches and sensitivites). It kept snowballing untill I barely graduated from highschool, then I became bedridden.

I react so badly to every treatment that is tried on me, and am so severely disabled, that I have given up hope of ever being "cured." At this point in my life, all I am asking for is a decent sleep med, and enough energy to bathe more than once a week.
  13. lease79

lease79 New Member

I'm 26 & have been sick since I was about 15/16. Actually the symptoms kicked in at about 11 after I fell flat on my face at school, but they got really bad in my teens. I was involved in a horrific car accident that I was lucky to walk away from, & contracted an unknown viral infection that put me (& many others in the same town,) in hospital.

14. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

Well only jus, my birthday was on Mon. Not much celebrating though as I'm just not up to it.

I have been sick for about 9 years now. I never thought that at the beginning of all this I'd still be suffering 9 YEARS LATER. It's so hard to believe.

Anyway enough moaning from me as we're all in the one boat. None of us did anything to deserve this DD.

Hope everyone's having a pretty ok day today.

Love Evadyl
  15. STML

STML New Member

I'm 26,read your profile, I've taught myself guitar too, one of best things hpened to me during this process,they say the chances of coming out of it are high the younger the are.My first symptoms started about four years ago just as was at university, but told to push through so did for year then crashed. took a year off, then pushed through a distance learning degree- this actually was only thing that got me through day. Was really hard at beginning dragging self up and forcing self to read but seems to have helped, finished now,.

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/19/2006</i>]
  16. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

been unwell since i was about 8/9.
    im doing ok so long as i remember to pace :)
  17. Cambird

Cambird New Member

I'm 27 as of this week. I've had CFS since I was 10.

I'm either house-bound or bed-bound all the time. My symptoms seem to be getting worse as I get older, BUT my memory's not good it may be it always feels like the worst in the present. (I don't want to bring anyone down!)

It's funny because I've been ill from childhood, and know other people who have too, I don't think of myself as young with it.
  18. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

I have been sick since I was 19. I cope by exercizing daily. I try to do as much as possible, I cant take pain meds because they irritate my stomach, and I have a kidney disease. I still work full time, and try to sleep as much as possible at night, usually I am still tired throughout the day.

I try my best to cope, I only go out on the weekends, and I rest up during the week after work. Sometimes it is tough being young, and everyone else my age is doing all kinds of stuff, going out everynight, but I get through it.
  19. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Hey everyone, 20 nothing here. I started to become fatigued 2 Novembers ago, and it has gotten progressively worse since then. I was fine one night before I went to bed, and the next morning I woke up and was completely drained of energy. The fog, which has been the worst part, started a couple of months later.

I'm in my third year at Drexel University in a 5 year program. I've only told a couple of my friends about my illness, and they have been great so far. I'm in the process of speaking to disability services at the college for some help, because my grades are starting to suffer from the fatigue.

I would say more, but I have class in a half hour, and I have to drive to school! Good luck with everything.

20. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I am 26 and was just diagnosed a few months ago. My systoms started after I gave birth to my son last March. So, it is almost been a year for me. I really am not coping well, considering I can not rest when I need to - hence the baby!