Is anyone here taking milnacipran?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke1972, Apr 1, 2007.

1. keke1972

keke1972 New Member

I was wondering if anyone is taking milnacipran for fms/cfs and what symptoms the drug is helping with. I know the area I live in is doing an investigational drug study, but I can't stop taking my medications to participate. I have read some positive things about this medication and I would love to know if others are on the med. Keke1972
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I'm afraid I don't know anything about this med....

I just saw your name and wondered if you were still taking Valcyte.

If so, how are you doing on it?

Best, Lisa
  3. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Hi Keke,

No I'm not familiar with this drug, but, I like lisa would like to know if you're still taking Valcyte and how you're doing on this.

best wishes,

Foxglove
  4. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Hi, this is an NSRI antidepressant in phase 3 trials and if approved will probably be the first medication approved for use in treating fibro.

Are you sure you can't participate with the drugs you are on? I was going to do the study (unfortunately didn't qualify) and I was allowed to stay on everything except ultram or ad's. They substituted hydrocodone for the Ultram. I was on synthroid, claritin, flonase and ambien (they even paid for the Ambien!).

Here is a description of the drug

Milnacipran is the first in a new class of antidepressants known as Norepinephrine Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (or NSRI's). It has equal potency for inhibiting the reuptake of both serotonin and noradrenaline.

What makes Milnacipran different from the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) – drugs like Prozac® – and Selective Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (SNRIs) – drugs like Effexor – is that Milnacipran affects two neurotransmitters, norepinephrine and serotonin, almost equally (a 3:1 norepinephrine to serotonin balance). In contrast a SNRI, tends to act much more on serotonin than norepinephrine, (Effexor has a 1:30 norepinephrine to serotonin ratio).

5. cj368

cj368 New Member

doing the study. I am 8 weeks on on full strength. I haven't had a huge change in my symptoms ( I could be on the placebo though). I do have some better days, I might just need a higher dose. The study only allows 100 mg. Once I am done with the study I can take the medication up to 200 mg. It's worth looking into.

6. redtex

redtex New Member

to milnaciprin. if these two haven't worked for you then odds are that milnaciprin won't either. they all have nasty withdrawal symptoms. cymbalta was very hard for me to get off of.
  7. keke1972

keke1972 New Member

Sorry it has taken me a long time to post. My children have been home for spring break which has left me with very little free time........They're a joy to be with and I love them dearly, but exhausting with this illness. I can't imagine life without my boys!!!! I am no longer taking the valcyte. The reason I stopped was because Dr.Levine said she is very skeptical about this drug really working and the cancer thing concerns me. I am concerned because I have two young boys and the thought of another illness is too much too bare. She said she isn't seeing the results that Montoya has seen. I am not sure about the drug either. I am taking nexavir injections at the moment and haven't noticed a single thing yet either. For some reason my pain has been really bad lately also. I have fms also. I started out with fms and developed cfs a couple years later. It's very fustrating for me. I wonder if this drug is really helping as much as was stated. I guess we will know in time. I am looking into other medications at this point in time. I have been taking trazodone for sleep for a long time, but still feel like a mack truck hit me. I wonder if I need to try other meds for sleep,etc. I wish everone great luck with the valcyte and hope everyone responds. This was a personal choice for me. Take care, KEKE1972
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2007]
  8. keke1972

keke1972 New Member

9. cj368

cj368 New Member

Intersted in other thoughts too.
  10. keke1972

keke1972 New Member