Is anyone here treated by an Osteopath??? Info please.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Jan 22, 2003.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

My brother is being treated by one and I don't know anything about this specialty. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?
    Thanks, guys!
    Love,
    Kady
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Both graduate from medical school but the DO's' education is more extensive. DO's can do surgery, prescribe medication and participate in all specialties. MD's used to look down on DO's, but you don't find this as much anymore. Many work side by side in the same practice now.

Generally speaking, DO's are more accepting of nontraditional treatments, but this is just a generalization. My PCP is a DO and I am very happy with him. BTW, my Dad was a DO.

Love, Mikie
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

osteopath. I went to him after other docs (specifically ortho and neuro) could not help me. Mine was a physical therapist before he went back to school and became an osteopath. I have sung his praises before on the board, he is open minded, listens, does not belittle me for doing research on my own or for telling him of things I am trying on my own. He is also very good at determining which part of the body that physical therapy will benefit. He uses a combination of meds, physical therapy, stretching, and now we've incorporated diet changes, etc. for treatment.

Karen
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

lots of help~~wish there were one near me!
    Love,
    Kady
  5. healing

healing New Member

I go to a DO and agree with Jelly and others that they have a special approach, what I like to call a "systems" approach to treating disease. Others have called it more holistic....My doc is willing to use what works, rather than just what is supposed to work. Thus I receive acupuncture, osteopathic manipulation, massage therapy, homeopathic and herbal treatments along with traditional meds....I find he generally is more open to info I bring him from this forum as well as others, even to the point of researching it. In short, I think most folks with immune system afflictions could benefit from treatment by DOs.