Is anyone here very sensitive to dental procedures?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Jan 28, 2007.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I'm not sure why, but I have very weak teeth (think I have my mother's genes to thank for that!) and although I'm very young I feel like I'm a regular at the dentist.
    Last year I had a root canal (big mistake I'm sure things went even further downhill form there!) and I chipped a tooth on a popcorn kernel. This was a tooth that also had a root canal and an apicectomy further down the line so it was already weakened.

Last week I chipped another tooth (the root canal I had done last year) so I went to the dentist.
    It was one of the most horrible and frightening experiences I have ever had!
    He injected me but instead of numbing my tooth it paralysed the one side of my face. I couldn't speak and I couldn't blink my eye, it was really scary!
    He said "oops, this has only happened once to me and now with you it is the second time, I will have to inject you again".
    The second one didn't work either, and I was sitting there in the chair, unable to speak or blink my very light-sensitive eye which was burning like fire at that time.
    Then he dropped one of his sharp instruments on my head "oops, sorry it slipped out of my hand", that was the last straw for me and I started getting very teary eyed.

So then off course all the boogies were running down my throat and I started gagging and couldn't breathe and had to sit upright and nearly threw up. He injected me a third time and said that technically I really shouldn't be able to feel anything, but he is going to consult with another dentist, which said that the tooth broke off right to the bone and that is why I can still feel it.
    So he injected me a fourth time, under my tongue, it was very painful. By this time I was crying like a baby and they were very apologetic but it didn't really help.
    I was feeling a bit hysterical but managed to contain myself. He injected me again under my tongue and then started drilling, I said please just take it out I don't want another injection, then he stopped and said he has to inject me again to stop the bleeding???? I think the 6th one was in my gum.

Anyway, when I left the hysteria took over and I was crying and shaking like a leaf, I couldn't stop crying for over an hour. When the anaesthesia started to wear off I got the most excruciating headache, the next day I still had the headache and felt nauseous and just all over miserable.
    Does anyone else get these side-effects from the local anaesthesia given by a dentist?
    I felt completely traumatized :(

Phoebe
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

I know a lot of us react like that to dental work.
    I hate the dentist!! nothing personal,. I just get very nervous/anxious. I hate being reclined so far that your gagging on your throat drainage,and your mouths all dry
    I think I kinda panic a bit?
    not to mention many dental visits leave me wiped out
    for days~
    your not alone
    I think you did pretty well considering the horror you went thru.
    I'd be freaked out too!

hugs
    Tandy
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have been having dental work done over the past several weeks also. It has put my mouth in a flare. I can't hardly eat because of tooth pain. Hot and cold sensitivity is extreme and all my nerve endings feel hot. And yes......I have the headache you are struggling with.

Just when I thought I was done with all the work and thought, maybe now I could begin the process of calming my mouth, I got an abcessed tooth. Remember, this is after I did all the dental work. And yes, the tooth with the abcess was worked on prior to the infection.

Now I am on antibiotics and will need to have a root canal which I"m not sure is good for us to do.

As for the local anaesthesia it seems to stay in my system for days. I actually believe it contributes to the mouth flare I experience after dental work. I also feel fluish. About 2 days after every shot of local anaesthesia I would get, the numbness would come back in the area of the shot and last for a day or so. If I had gone through as much as you, I would be sicker than I am.

I feel dental work is in a sense like minor surgery to those of us with Fibro/CFS as it is a trama for our body.

4. sascha

sascha Member

many cities have 'gentle' dentists; dentists who work very carefully with traumatized, anxious patients.

i tried going to a dental teaching school to save money (it seems like having any dental work done costs as much as a second-hand car), but i couldn't stand it. it took too long. i didn't even have any shots, but i was ill afterwards because of what sitting there for four hours and having three different people go through the procedures did to me. it was too much. i am over-sensitive to things like that.my mouth, face, and jaw hurt for days.

now i face the task of finding a dentist i can afford. i know people who go to Mexico because the trip, lodging, and cost for dentist is less than they'd pay here in the States just for the dental work.

you had a dreadful time. maybe find another dentist- ask around and get recommendations ? best of luck, sascha
  5. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi Phoebe~~

I really can't believe you went through all of that and still survived to tell the story!! I myself have many horror stories from going to my dentist,, oral surgeon, and back and forth several times after my car accident. And I also went through some terrible experiences too.

But I think I might have walked out of there after the second or third injection!! Is this guy a klutz or what? LOL!! My dentist is the same way, and I should of changed dentists along time ago, but noooo, I have stayed with him through thick and thin. Not sure why, I must be a "qlutton" for punishment or something!!

You are one brave lady in my book!! I'm going in next week for what started as a root canal and gum surgery, now is going to end up having the tooth pulled and have an implant done later on. But since my cervical fusion surgery, he has done everything so carefully and compassionately, I think I might as well stay with him for now anyway. I have always hated dentists, but I've been going so many times over the years, I'm beginning to think I dislike my pain management Dr. more!! LOL!!

I think your side effects might of been from what you went through and not the anethesia, as you were traumatized so badly, it was enough to make anyone sick. But thats just my thoughts. I always ask for a valium or something to calm me down before any dental surgery, seeing I get panic attacks everytime I go to the dentist, and that helps alot!!

My gosh, I sure hope you feel better now that this is all over with!! I wish you nothing but a happy sparkling smile from now on!!! But I am sooo sorry you had to endure all that misery too!!

Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I also think the tension and trauma contributed to me feeling sick.
    I have to go back this friday to get a crown, can anyone tell me what to expect?
    Luckily it's not the same dentist, the nurse told me to eat a good meal beforehand because the anaesthesia he is going to use might make me a bit woozy.
    I feel terrified about going back, because I now have a fear that I never had before.

On the other hand I don't really have a choice, I can not afford to go to yet another dentist to have a new crown made.
    Thanks for all the replies and kind words!

Hugs
    Phoebe
  7. Summit

Summit New Member

phoebe, I feel for you! That was a bad experience. I went through a horrible dental experience too....they had to stick the needles under my upper lip...the pain was so bad it shot up through my head and I had tears coming down, and was shaking (not to mention the death grip I had on the chair arms) they kept saying, I'm only sticking it in alittle ways. So? I have found that if I take my pain med's about an hour before the dental visit, and have some gas at the dentists (to help calm and relax) those things help alot. I told my dentist the next time he wants to do something....he'll have to come and drag me out of the liquor store (ha, ha) Sometimes my mouth is super sensitive (the fibro thing) I get random pains shooting all over from tooth to tooth (just sitting at home) when I told my dentist this, he thought I was crazy. But, my chiropractor said he had heard of that with other fibro patients (guess I'm not crazy) Good luck to you!!
  8. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

So sorry Phoebe...
    When you say anesthesia... are you talking thru an IV, or numbing you? I would think numbing you would not cause you to feel woosy? I hate going to the dentist and have had over $10,000 worth of work last year and this year, already spent $3,000., so ... ya know... I have had alot going on lately with that.

Have you ever tried the laughing gas? I actually get IV sedation to have all of my work done now. Last time he did not give me enough, I will have to tell him next time to understand I am on pain meds daily and I would need more than the average person.

Sounds like that would be a better option for you. I feel woosy for the next day, but that is generally it. It has saved my life with the dentist.

Again, so sorry for what you went through, that is just plain awful!!!!

Hugs
    Kim
  9. mamacat

mamacat New Member

all of your stories are exactly the same as mine, all my life as I am not only a Fibro patient but have had Polio and now have Post Polio Syndrome too.
    Just to perhaps help all of you out a bit, although it's just info check out this link: http://www.sover.net/~devstar/dentist.pdf it is written by Devin Starlanyl who is an expert on Fibro and CMP as well as a sufferer. I'm sure many if not all of you know of her and her books.
    I have just recently broken off the center parts of both my front teeth, the fillings fell out a few months before leaving the teeth weakened and I also have three other teeth that are broken up into the gumlines, probably from the grinding and clenching caused by the Fibro. This is all causing me intermittant/constant pain and intense pain whenever I drink hot or cold beverages etc.
    After my last experience of having 5 teeth extracted 4 years ago, with General Anesthesia but "NO" Novacaine and was sick and in pain for 4 months afterward. Ironically this event preceded my FM coming on and because of the Post Polio , like another poster said, when I get Novocaine shots in my lower jaw it paralyzes my whole throat and "Not" the tooth area, that being the reason this Oral Surgeon didn't give me any Novocaine, causing me to wake up twice during the surgical process and they had to overload me with General Anesthesia which of course I'm sure added to the lengthy recovery process that also included what they call a "Dry Socket" I was living on pain pills for three months straight!! And back then I wasn't sufering from daily pain from FM like I am now, and so am now on Pain Management everyday.
    I am just so afraid to go to the dentist let alone try to find one that will be kind and understanding??????

So-So Sorry to read all of your horrible experiences, believe me I truly know the pain of what you have all described, that is why my teeth are in such bad shape now I've avoided Dentists like the plaquebecause of all of my own horror stories and I really believe that my Extraction Experience was part of what caused me to get Fibro, along with some extreme stress situations at the time as well.

I will let you all know what ends up happening for me and I will check back on this thread too, I have been away from this great site for a long time due to my ill health and some deaths in my family etc, etc......just a long run of extreme bad times, and waiting now for 2 years for SSI not being able to work anymore.
    God Bless you all, I will keep you in my thoughts!
    Mamacat
  10. clerty

clerty New Member

Hi

I need to go but I am dreading this I have not been since I took my M.e/Fibro.
  11. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've had to have a lot of dental work done, too, and have had similar issues with novacaine so my dentist started using Marcaine. It is supposed to last 8 hours and while it doesn't, it lasts long enough for him to do his work.

I have 8 crowns now, but with the pain meds that I take for fms, I rarely feel any pain. At one time, my teeth were so sensitive that I hated to have them cleaned because of the pain involved. For that, I started using Sensodyne (the paste, not the gel) and while the taste is nothing to brag about, the issues with sensitivity went away. (that was before the pain meds)

When you make your next appointment, ask if the dentist has any marcaine (so he can order it before you come in). I hope it works for you like it did for me.

abbylee
  12. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

I am so sorry you went through that. It is horrible.

I have a ton of dental work that needs to be done, but am so afraid of going to a dentist that I decided to just put it off. I have had a number of dentists over the past 15 years and still haven't had a good experience.

I can't even sit through a cleaning, it hurts so much.

I've been to Gentle dental, ha ha ha ha, that's what I have to say to that.

With in the past year and a half I have had 2 sedation sessions. The first wasn't too bad. The second left me in such bad pain. I haven't been back to that guy.

So now I have no dentist.....again.....

Good luck to you.
  13. California31

California31 New Member

Have had extensive dental work.....it takes alot of meds to numb...slow to numb....and then it doesn't hold long....I've repeatedly told this to dentists....had a new dentist (HMO) last year....who would not believe me....then finally did...and used some other drug...finally got numb....asked them to write it in my chart...
    I also have had excellent dentistry...with understanding, proficient dentist. Hope you get better results with any other work.
  14. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My teeth have always been weak and sensitive. As a child, we were lucky enough to be guinea pigs at the local dentistry school. I have some horrible memories from there that have made me avoid dentists where possible ever since.

The last time I was at the dentist, I had lost a large filling in one of my lower molers. He put a lot of freezing in the tooth, but I was still jumping out of the chair in pain.

My daughter is very hard to freeze and her dentists usually puts three separate needles in over a period of 20 minutes. Her tooth is usually frozen enough for the procedure.

I'm sure that FM has a lot to do with the amount of pain that we feel.

I feel for you......

Eileen