Is anyone on Dr. St Amand's hypoglycemia diet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Oct 26, 2004.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I read the book, then started taking the tablets and going on the diet simultaneously.

It feels like I'm in a flare at the moment as I have blinding headaches and really bad muscle aches and pains, I don't want to get my hopes up too soon but maybe the tablets are working, or is it the diet?

I have a very difficult time keeping strictly to the diet (and I'm following the liberal one because I'm skinny), I can't only eat a piece of fruit every 4 hours it feels like I'm starving and a handful of nuts also doesn't do it for me.
    I found sugar-free wheat-free bread, is it ok to eat that? I'm a little confused about cutting out all carbs because when you take a look on the back of anything where it says "nutritional information" there is always a % of carbs in it.

I was also wondering if it is ok to eat modified starch (whatever that is)and Canderel chocolates as they are made with artificial sweeteners.

One more question, I'm not so clear as to why we can eat plants such as lettuce but cannot use them on our skin because of the sals.

Any info would be appreciated
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is not necessary to strictly adhere to the hypoglycemic diet in order for the Guai to work. Dt. St. Amand just mentions it in his book because so many of us with FMS are hypoglycemic.

Most of us do feel better when we stay away from sugary food and processed food with artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Foods such as sugar, white potatoes, white flour, and white rice can spike insulin and are better avoided.

When we eat plant material, it goes through the digestive system and is excreted. What we eat contains few enough sals that it isn't a problem. I would stay away from mint, though.

What is in lotion and herbal supplements is concentrated far beyond what you could ever eat and it cannot be excreted through the kidneys. Things like lotion, which are absorbed through the skin, are particulary bad at blocking the Guai. Things like soaps and shampoos, which are rinsed off, are far less likely to block the Guai.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. scarflady

scarflady New Member

Can you tell me where to find wheat free bread. I am off all wheat products.

4. torilion

torilion New Member

I tried an (extreme) hyp diet as well... Eventhough I had pretty bad hypoglycemia my overall health didn't improve much on it unfortunately and it for sure had no sustaining results after discontinuation. I am very skinny as well and it made me lose even more weight.
    So, I don't want to disencourage you but in my experience it is best to keep the hypo in mind, so not take sportdrinks and other things containing a lot of sugar like candy and softdrinks, but don't be too extreme on it.
    I find full skim milk a good source of energy as it contains a combination of fats, proteins and the sugar in milk isn't too bad. It is good for gaining some pounds as well.
    Did you know a leaky gut can be the cause of both being skinny and hypoglycemia? you may want to check that out and address that...
    good luck
  5. RobinN

RobinN New Member

From what you've said here, it doesn't sound like you are eating frequently enough. I've been on the strict version of the diet since April 2004. It is especially important in the beginning to eat often. For example, when I started the diet I would eat a cheese stick snack every 2 hours (even in the night when I would wake hungry). It is important that you eat sufficient amounts of protein and good fats. The first 2 weeks of the diet are the worst!

Please go to the guaidoc website and seek advice and more information there!

6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Thank you for your replies, I actually didn't know that leaky gut syndrome could be the cause of HG and being skinny.

I basically eat the whole time, I think I find it so difficult because I was used to eating chocolates and sweets every single day, plus I love pasta, bread and potatoes it's the only stuff that fills me up.
    I'm not a big fan of meat but oh well I'll try it for a while and see if I feel better.
    These days, just the thought of having a salad makes me cringe :)

Scarflady, I live in south africa and found the bread in a health food store, I was surprised at the variety (all of them sugar and wheat free), they had spout bread, pure rye etc. so I'm pretty sure you can find them in any health store.

Thanks again

[ advertisement ]