Is anyone on Paxil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurts2003, Aug 13, 2003.

1. hurts2003

hurts2003 New Member

I have been on elavil for 4 1/2 years since I was diagnosed with FM. I had to get off of it because it was giving me panic attacks. My dr. has put me on 12.5mg of Paxil for 1 wk, then 25mg for the next 2 wks after that. I go back to him in 3 wks to see how I'm doing on it. Can anyone tell me what to exspect from this drug?
  2. Missnae1

Missnae1 New Member

The whole Paxil experience (withdrawal) from was a nightmare. I don't think it should even be on the market. Just an opinion. I would not take it ever again.
  3. rose38716

rose38716 New Member

I have taken it for 5 years..It has really helped me..and i dont want to quit taking it ..It is great for anxiety and depression...I was in a clinical depression and it brought me right out of it..I took 50 mg. daily for 4 yrs..then a different Dr. got me down to 10 mg..but had no problems..You just have to wean slowly off of it...my new doc put me on 25 cr but changed it to reg. paxil 20 mg. becauses it is cheaper and i dont have any insurance..But it is good for shy people also it helps them to speak up..Pretty good drug if you ask me..good luck...Deb
    PS I also had terrible anxiety or panic attacks but havent for 5 years.. me and a freind of mine call it the wonder drug...
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

but my experience with Paxil was negative. I felt great while I was taking it for over 4 years but I gained A LOT of weight - almost 100 lbs. When I tried to get off it, it was very, very difficult. It took me almost a year of gradually lowering the dose to get off it completely and onto a low dose of Zoloft. If I had it to do over again and felt I needed an anti-depressant, I would definitely not choose Paxil. There are so many others that do not have the horrendous side-effects. You might be one of the lucky ones not to have these side-effects and if you decide to continue with it, I hope you are!

Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2003]
  5. rose38716

rose38716 New Member

I have taken it for 5 years..It has really helped me..and i dont want to quit taking it ..It is great for anxiety and depression...I was in a clinical depression and it brought me right out of it..I took 50 mg. daily for 4 yrs..then a different Dr. got me down to 10 mg..but had no problems..You just have to wean slowly off of it...my new doc put me on 25 cr but changed it to reg. paxil 20 mg. becauses it is cheaper and i dont have any insurance..But it is good for shy people also it helps them to speak up..Pretty good drug if you ask me..good luck...Deb
    PS I also had terrible anxiety or panic attacks but havent for 5 years.. me and a freind of mine call it the wonder drug...
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi, I was on Paxil from 1997 through 2000. I am off the drug now. Weight gain was the number one problem, so please watch out for this. Also, withdrawal from this drug was ROUGH. Please, do a search on Paxil. Doctors do not always tell you the side effects of these drugs. I wish I would have researched it more when I was given the drug, but I didn't know I had FMS at the time because the doctors didn't explore all my problems, they just saw depression and took out the prescription pad to quickly. Please research and THEN make up your own mind. Good luck to you, Hugs, Chelz.
  7. Bkay

Bkay New Member

I tired paxil, but it got so expensive that i took myself off of it...No problems, I feel better now than i did when i was taking it...I go back to Dr. next month can't wait to see what he says.lol. Started back with St.Johns Wort. I do still take the flexril...
  8. fmsyuck

fmsyuck New Member

It was a nightmare did not work for me and I am sure about the weight gain too.
    I found out this drug did not help me at all, I went off
    it and was on celexa, then lexapro. Told my dr to take off all the anti depressants except for elavil and deseryl. I only take them at night anyway. I am know on 0.05 mg of
    xanax twice a day and that helps me. I also take ultracet
    and neurotin for pain. If it gets too bad I go on loratab
    (hydrocodone).
    Hope this helps ya,
    fmsyuck
  9. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I go off Paxil on a regular basis - not of my own accord but because I can't always afford it. I had to quit the Ambien entirely for the same reason and no Rx pain killers for that reason. It's hell to be poor!!

I've been on Paxil for so many years I'm not sure any more how long. At least 10 years. From what I've read, you are all going to pass out when I tell you I take 100 mgs/day - supposed to take 150 and do better on 150 but I have to try to stretch it out.

When I go off for a while, sometimes as much as a whole month, I get really weird dreams (not nightmares, just weird and exhausting). I also get snappish and nasty. However, I was like that, and with the dreams, before I started taking it.

It never occurred to me that my weight might be the Paxil. I know Elavil packed it on and I've had a problem with it ever since.

When I go to the dr. on the 27th for my bp check I'm going to ask him about Effexor, just because I've been on the Paxil so long, and I've heard that Rx's need to be changed after so many years. Lots of people seem to like that - but then, Paxil should be close to generic by now. . .

JoAnn
  10. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I had horrible withdrawal from Paxil. My Dr. put me on it when I was in a flair and I finally decided I was on way too many drugs so asked to be taken off. I did the whole withdrawal procedure and by the time I got to the end I was so wacked out with emotions bouncing off the wall that my husband actually was ready to take me to the emergency room - and we aren't talking little crying spells - we are talking maxed out emotional fits. Good Luck . . .