Is anyone on Remeron?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wildcat, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

My Doctor just prescribed something new to me called Remeron, it is for Muscle Spasms, I have had spasms occuring in my back/spine area for a while, getting worse lately, he also says this is a Anti-Depressant it taken in a larger dose? I took it once and had the worst groggy feeling the next morning, he just told me to take it earlier in the evening? Does anyone have anything good to say about this drug? I am afraid to take it again, but sometimes my spasms get really bad, is there anything else I can ask him for that might help and not make me so groggy?
    Wildcat
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

My Doctor just prescribed something new to me called Remeron, it is for Muscle Spasms, I have had spasms occuring in my back/spine area for a while, getting worse lately, he also says this is a Anti-Depressant it taken in a larger dose? I took it once and had the worst groggy feeling the next morning, he just told me to take it earlier in the evening? Does anyone have anything good to say about this drug? I am afraid to take it again, but sometimes my spasms get really bad, is there anything else I can ask him for that might help and not make me so groggy?
    Wildcat
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You can go to; www.medscape.com and type in Remeron, and read all there is to know about this drug.

I would have put it here for you, it has so many links to it, that it would be best for you to go read it all for yourself.

I have had the spasms in the upperback and shoulders very bad. Pain was horrific.

I have been taking Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium), and its been months since I have had a spasm.

You could mention this to your doctor, most people with FM/CFS are deficient in Magnesium. I believe there is a test for magnesium deficiency.

I hope you get some relief soon, that pain is horrible.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

For Wildcat, this was on the bottom of the page, hopefully someone can give you some personal information on this drug.

Shalom,Shirl
  5. mlw

mlw New Member

Hi Wildcat:

My doctor prescribed Remeron last year as an anti-depressant. The thing is the higher the dosage the better you feel. If the dosage is higher, the effect is stronger. This is actually quoting my doctor. I got off it because it was making eat everything in site and I gained 10 pounds in two weeks. What I am now taking to sleep is melatonin 3 mg.

Hope you feel better.

MLW
  6. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Thanks for the website Shirl, I will go there and check it out. Yes the pain is unbearable sometimes, I will talk to my doctor about getting the mag test too.

MLW, thanks also for your post, he wants me to take a 15mg one at night, I took it once and got up to next morning feeling I had been on a all night party adventure, and with the worst hangover ever!! I didn't like it at all. I will talk to my dr to see if there is anything else to replace that. Thanks Wildcat
  7. blndmnt25

blndmnt25 New Member

I stopped taking Remeron when my husband and our 2 children were out visiting some friends and on the way home I wanted to jump out of the car and kill myself. Remeron messed me up so bad I am suprised the doctor didn't have me committed!! If it makes you feel like harming yourself in any way, please don't take it anymore! Needless to say I am off the remeron and back on flexeril and boy is there a big differece!

Hope this helps you a bit!

Becca
  8. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I take 1/4 of a tablet at night, this would amount to about 4mgs. I break the tablet easlily since they are soft. I sleep so soundly and deeply. I have not had any weight gain or other bad side effects. So as a sleep aid I would highly recommend it. I also take Effexor 75mgs daily.
  9. kozua

kozua New Member

Hi Wildcat!
    I have been on remeron for several years now along with Flexeril to help me to sleep. I actually only take 1/2 of a 15mg tablet nightly. The first week I was so groggy in the morning... but I stuck with it...the combined drugs have given me the opportunity to sleep almost all night thru. This has also helped with the muscle spasms.
    If you try it good luck & give it a chance.
    kozua
  10. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Hi,

I also took remeron for a while (6 mos) and I gained a ton of weight, was very bloated, I was taking it for a sleep disorder, it was prescribed to me by a Psychiatrist who was helping me with a sleep disorder, the problem was created by taking benzo's (librium) for years for anxiety. The remeron did help me with sleep, I took it in the PM but the weight gain was horrible, I could not eat enough, I was obsessed with food. There are a lot better things out there for muscle pain, I would definitely ask for something else.

Jaci