Is anyone taking prednisone (corticosteroids) for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texangal81, Jul 3, 2008.

1. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I have read that steroids are not helpful for FM, which is fine with me, I have seen what they've done to my mom for the last 15 years. However, she has a friend up north who was just diagnosed with FM and was treated with steroids and she says she's better. I tend to think she has a wrong diagnosis rather than a right treatment.

What do the 'board warriers' think?
  2. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

I have been on low dose steroids for years, but I have FM and an undifferented autoimmune diseae so which one does it help????

Don't know, but it does help the fatigue whereever it comes from.

I would suggest trying it for anyone struggling b/c the benefits for me were within a couple of days.

3. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

Many people with fibromyalgia have secondary fibromyalgia, with inflammation being their primary trigger for the fibromyalgia. Often, people have an undiagnosed inflammatory problem, like lupus, without realizing it, because it's hard to diagnose. I had one doctor give me prednisone, just to make sure nothing else was going on.

- Mark
  4. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Hi from a fellow Texan! Gee, sure not meaning to bring up Lyme again, but there is something important you need to know.

I was originally Dx'd w/ FMS 10 yrs ago. My ANA was running high, so I was given low-dose steroids for a year or more. Problem being, what I actually had was undiagnosed Lyme, and if I had not also happened to be on anti-biotics for acne, I would most likely be dead today.

Steroids allow the Lyme (and lots of other things) to flourish uncontrolled, since your immune system is being depressed by the steroids.

I am certain that my damage is much more severe than it ever needed to be b/c of the steroids. (and lack of timely Lyme Dx) Ppl with lyme (and probably mycoplasma infections) should NEVER be given steroids, so if you have not been PROPERLY tested for these things, you would be playing a very dangerous game.

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, unfortunately.

Just trying to pass on my experiences,

5. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

Thanks for bringing that up. It totally slipped my mind. I am tested quarterly(more often if needed) for various types of things.

My immune system is nuts so everytime I begin a course of methotrexate I have to be tested for oodles of things.

6. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

Corticosteroids are such an interesting class of drugs. They saved my mom's life 15 years ago when she flown out of Aruba on a medivac plane because she was bleeding uncontrollable into her lungs. The doc put her on massive doses of steroids and that got it under control and later diagnosed Wegener's Granulomatosis. However, 15 years later she continues to take a small dose every day which keeps her ANCA negative but has caused paper-thin skin, sleeplessness and osteoporosis.

I know too that steriods and chicken pox don't mix either, especially in the young, old, or very ill. I read an article about a doctor who put a young boy on steriods when he had the chicken pox and his immune system couldn't battle it and he died.

I don't plan on ever taking steroids unless my life is in danger. I was mainly curious because my mom asked if they would treat me with steroids and I've noticed when people list what they are taking, I rarely see them. Of course, I didn't think about secondary FM. Right now my doc has diagnosed me with primary FM since my blood work is all normal. However, I am in the early stages, so I am continuing to research and find out more.
  7. ziasss

ziasss New Member

I've had to be on prednisone lots of times fury asthma, COPD...when you do the burst and taper thing, the side effects are awful. Weight gain, sleeping difficulties, and what it does to your immune system is awful!

I was taking them when I was finally diasnosed with fibro, and it doesn't help with pain at all. My other tests were all normal. The Dr. said if it wasn't doing anything for pain, then it was arthritis. (I was hoping for something other than fibro)

8. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I HATE taken them. They wire me so bad you can scrape me off the ceiling. If I HAVE to have it, I request an injection, which only wires me for 24 hours or so. Thanks for all this great information!
  9. padre

padre New Member

I was hospitalized with Giant Cell Arteritis and had thoracic surgery to implant vascular grafts to restore blood to my arms. As part of the treatment I received high doses of prednisone which was tapered to zero over 25 months. I admit that on prednisone my FM symptoms went away -- or at least I did not have much pain. I also did not sleep and could have cut everyone's lawn within two miles between one and three in the morning. (Kidding!) Wired is not the word.

But the crash was hard, plus I have multiple problems with eyes, joints, skin, and more because of the prednisone. My immunologist was super, but he would not have given prednisone to me for FM.

I would not take it for FM. The cost of the side effects are too great.
  10. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

My father knew the man who invented cortisone and even he said he would not take it unless it was a life threatening condition . It is very very powerful stuff.

I developed diabetes from taking cortisone . I have heard many other people have had the same problem.

Just a heads up . I do know some people do need steroids , but please try other avenues first.

11. Auntiecyn2

Auntiecyn2 New Member

A Rheumy I used to go to wanted to treat me with Prednisone in order to aid in diagnosis. She thought I might have Polymyagia Rheumatica and said if I did, the Pred would make me feel better almost immediately. I turned it down. I wonder if those who are taking it for Fibro and getting relief might also have Polymyalgia?
  12. padre

padre New Member

Polymyalgia Rheumatica is the underlying disease to Giant Cell Arteritis which is why I was given prednisone. As it turns out, I did not have it.

I do not believe that FM responds to prednisone and would ask for a another opinion.
  13. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have taken prednisone for short periods and it has helped my pain and helped me feel better. I take it for a week 2-3 times a year. The pain doctor I went to said it breaks the pain cycle. It also takes down the inflamation in the body. I sure wouldn`t want to take it fulltime but this way seems to work for me.
  14. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

What exactly is that and how do you check for it?. One of my doctors suggested that I might have it.
  15. padre

padre New Member

From Medicine Net and also found on Mayo Website

Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disorder of the muscles and joints characterized by pain and stiffness, affecting both sides of the body, and involving the shoulders, arms, neck, and buttock areas. Patients with polymyalgia rheumatica are typically over the age of 50 years.

The cause of polymyalgia rheumatica is not known. Recent research has indicated that genetic (inherited) factors play a role in who becomes afflicted with the illness. Theories have included viral stimulation of the immune system in genetically susceptible individuals.

The onset of the illness can be sudden. A patient may have a healthy history until awakening one morning with stiffness and pain of muscles and joints throughout the body. These symptoms persist and are often accompanied by an intense sensation of fatigue. Some patients notice a gradual loss of appetite, weight, and energy.

Blood tests are helpful in diagnosis, but the main way to know if it is PMR is to give prednisone and if it works -- that is what you probably have. (Also high SED rate and other blood indicators.) They also often take a small piece of artery from temple and look at it. Cell changes can show up.

I have FM and have for twenty years. My SED is always low and biopsy was negative. PMR often goes away on its own.

Google this -- but please be careful, there are many cross-over symptoms. Your doctor probably ruled this out, first thing, if you are over 45 or 50.

EDIT/ADDITION: Search this site (Box on upper left) for information. There is a good deal of it.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
  16. spmom

spmom New Member

I took prednisone early on which was used to rule out other arthritic conditions. The steriods did nothing to help with pain. My opinion is that fibro is more neurological than muskoskeletal (sp?)which is why the steroid don't help.