Is anyone using pacing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by frankie78, Mar 5, 2007.

1. frankie78

frankie78 New Member

Hi everyone. I'm newish to this board. I've been sick for eight years. I've been up and down, but I'm in a particularly bad relapse right now and I'm bedridden.
    I've neen looking on other boards as well, and on the boards based in the U.K., I've found that many people use "pacing" as part of a regimen to get better.
    I was wondering if anyone here uses or has used pacing as part of their protocol, and if anyone has any tips on encorporating pacing while bedridden, I would appreciate it greatly.
    Thank you!
    - Frankie
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Sorry you are in such a bad flare. I can't help but I can say Hello & hope that you feel better soon :)
  3. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Pacing as in walking back and forth?

When in a bad flare walking back and forth would cause dizziness. I would have to walk around the house and watch out for the walls.

Each of us react different...each time we're in a new flare. See what you feel like with pacing, it might be just what you're looking for.

Edit: LOL, can we say fibrofog? Pacing as in pacing yourself and your activities. Have to...it's a must.[This Message was Edited on 03/06/2007]
  4. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I think pacing just means slowing down and doing activities in small, manageable portions. I do it, but not proactively... I'm forced into it if you see what I mean. I think if you are careful not to push yourself you are basically already pacing.

5. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Really good question. I think it is really critical especially for CFS. When I was first getting ill I found myself instinctively doing this frequently. Now that I feel like you know what all the time doing anything is a big push and I don't stay as motivated to pace as I don't feel the immediate effects.

Self care is so important with CFS and FMS; probably in the long haul the most important.

There is a website and book and self-help online programs that a guy in California developed that you should check out. I can't remember his name (severe brain fog right now) but Google around until you find it or look for it here. People here know about it.

I have some pressing deadlines for my disability applications right now but I would love to discuss this further with you and others interested. I will post a topic on this in a few days. Look for it. Meanwhile look for this guy's program on the web.

On a personal note, if you are bedridden and can manage it at all take twice as long as you think you need to get back to things. One form of pacing!

Best wishes.
  6. Fransmom

Fransmom New Member

Im new to FM - last six months or so, and I just discovered the importance of pacing. I've been in such denial about all this that I just push, push, push, which didn't help at all!. This weekend, my husband and I needed to do some work in the yard - I was worried that I'd just collapse - but I just did a little, rested, then worked a bit more. It was lovely - I could tend my roses and see our yard a bit more ready for spring! Okay, it wasn't perfect - I've been kinda tired today, but everytime I look out the back window I feel better!
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

While pacing is usually seen as doing things in small, manageable portions, I think it is also important to do them at a measured, manageable speed. I first noticed this with my walking. I had a very fast walking pace. Once I reached 15 minutes, I just could not get any longer. When I slowed down my walking pace, I was able to walk farther than I had in the 15 minutes of fast walking.

I then noticed that this applied to other activities as well. I had a tendency to go at things ‘full speed’ when I was doing anything. After all, I had so much to do and so little time to do it in before I would be exhausted again. When I worked at a more moderate pace, I was able to accomplish more before tiring, although it took proportionally longer. In general try to do things with the least energy expenditure possible and you will get more things done, because you will spend less time resting up. For example, never stand when you can sit and never sit when you can lie.

Since you are bedridden, you are operating at a much lower level than I, but I think the principles still apply. Basically don’t push yourself until you can’t go anymore. Stop and rest before you reach that point. This applies to activities such as reading, using the computer, and watching television when lying in bed. Another thing that I had to learn was that lying down and reading is not resting, it is an activity. For me resting requires that I have my eyes closed.
  8. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

The guy running the on-line course is Bruce Campbell. He used to run chronic disease management courses for Stanford, came down with CFS himself, and then designed a course for others with CSF. Google "self-help" and "chronic fatigue syndrome." It's not too expensive ($25), it lasts 6 weeks, and comes with a book. It can be used by people who are bedridden as well. Good practical advice. The next course starts end of March.
  9. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

I hope that you feel better soon. Can you please explain more about pacing? I have never heard of it and would like to learn more.

God Bless,
    Bob
  10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Its not sumthing I practice... but its something I need to do if I want to get thru the day.

On the days when I dont watch how much I do,it comes back to bite me.

If this is what you mean by pacing,then I am sure each of us do it, in our own way.:>)

Take Care!
    Jordane
  11. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have tried pacing but more lately, I have started doing nothing, I am not trying to excuse this but I have aso recently found out I am bipolar moe days than not I just want to stay in bed and avoid the worldy save for my hubby and son. I don't want my on to grow up thinking this is okay. The problem is my son and I have alot of the same health problems. I have found what he does at school is says oh, I feel bad or have a headache, but the worst part of it is he has seizures. So sometimes it's hard to tell if he feel's bad from the seizure or he just wants sympathy.I believe most of the time he is feeling bad from the seizures. I worry he also has either cfs or fms. I sometimes feel at the end of my rope but between my son, daughter and wonderfully understanding hubby who has stuck with me and this disability for 19yrs. How lucky I am.My Mom would be there with we also but she passed about 10yrs ago, now I find out I may have Breast cancer, the same disease that took my mother. Sorry I didn't mean for this to be so long, Crispangel66
  12. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have been trying to pace myself for many yrs. I will do something then take a short break.I can never sit too long or I get stiff(arthritis) or I will fall asleep(CFS/FMS). The thing is,I always have to over do everything because I am a single mom.