Is anyone watching AMERICAN IDOL?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Feb 19, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Wow! Tonight was quite a spectacle! They have some really great talent this year. There were several of the boys I thought were great.

My favorite though was little David Archuleta. Only 17, shy, humble, and ecstatic to be there, but such a powerhouse of a vocalist. He blew me away! Then afterwards - such a charmer! His innocence and sparkling smile just filled me with joy. He's the worlds cure for depression!!

I was thinking, "I want to take him home and keep him," just for his contagious sense of happiness. Then Ryan Seacrest said, "You can only vote for him. You can't adopt him." Followed by "the ladies love you." This has to be true. What woman could NOT love that happy, happy kid! The world needs a billion more, just like him.

I guess Seacrest is wiser than I realized. I would TOTALLY adopt that boy, if he was up for grabs!

I also really liked Jason, (the guy with the guitar and dreadlocks,) and the gorgeous Aussie, Michael Johns. I was hoping Micheal would be really good so I could admire his beauty longer. And thankfully he was! I think he would go a long way on his looks and accent alone, even if he had been lousy.

I think Simon was way too hard on Danny Noriega who sang the Elvis tune. That was an intense little critique with Simon calling it grotesque, and Paula in tears. But Danny handled it well, and cracked me up with his "...but someones not LIKIN' it" remark (with hand gestures!) For a split second, I thought Simon would rip him a new one for disrespecting him, but then he laughed too. Big sigh. Things had become intense and uncomfortable, and the kid changed the mood instantly.

The poor girls are probably terrified!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2008]
  2. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I like the young boy and the Aussie as well.

I think I know who might be going home on thursday. The one I remember thinking he would go was the 17 year old with long wavy hair. He did look like he had been locked in a room for week! LOL..exactly what Simon said. I think the first Elvis singer, that you mentioned, might not make it either, or the smooth singing black man at the first. He sounded so good, but I could see what Simon said about him being too old fashioned with no "personality" in his styling.

I agree that the girls will be fun to watch on their first outing. They will have to go a long way to be over all as good as the men.

Thanks for giving me a place to state an opinion!

3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I agree, the "locked in a room" dude will probably go quick. And the Kenny Loggins sound-alike was pretty weak and off key. There were a few that were pretty forgettable.

I disagree about Danny Noriega though. As much as I hate it that it works this way, I think the little girls (and some boys) will think he's cute and vote him through. Plus, I think when Simon trashes someone that bad, it just wins them extra pity votes. I didn't think he was as bad as Simon said, but it was kind of strange. Elvis was a bad choice for him. The kid does have personality, for what it's worth, and lots of confidence. I don't think he'll win, but I bet he has a fan base already.

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2008]
  4. kjade

kjade New Member

Hi 4everkid!

Yes!! I am so glad someone else here watches AI!! I have no one to discuss it with. No one watches anymore in my family, and my husband watches, but usually falls asleep ½ way through! I was going to start a similar post – you beat me to it!! I don’t watch Lost or House, so I can’t join in on those threads, but I am a HUGE AI and Survivor fan.

The show has been pretty bad for a couple years – I think this year is going to be a good one!

I absolutely LOVED the guy with the dreadlocks. He is so gorgeous – there is something so different about him, and I love his attitude too – he seems very humble and shy, which is so refreshing. And he could SING to boot!!

I also love the guy from Australia – he was my favorite when he first auditioned – I said “that guy is gonna go far”! Not only can he sing, but he is also unusual, and I just love that accent!

And the little 17 yr old David is sooooo adorable. He is so cute, and he can actually sing! He has been one of my faves all along too. My husband was laughing so hard at the way he reacted to the judges and Ryan – he said “I really like this kid”!

At this point, I really don’t care about the girls!! I think it will be a guy this year! I will check back tomorrow, and we will need to discuss the girls.

5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

My husband and i watch it very faithfully. I liked the dreadlocked guy as well and think he will be one of the final ones. Boy, you are right, Michael is gorgeous. I also liked the rocker guy, not the one with the long hair but the one with the two colors in his hair. I thought he was a good singer.

Can't wait to watch tonight.
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Kjade, I will forgive you for neglecting Lost & House, but only because you like Survivor and all the same Idol boys as me.
    Yeah, that Jason is unique, individual, and quite talented. He seems very laid back and natural for being in a setting like this. All three of the guys you mentioned are loaded with charisma. And there are several others that were also really good. I almost hope the girls are lousy. This is going to be a tough competition.

fibromickster - David Cook is the colorful haired rocker. He is very good! I'm glad he lost the spiney, mohawk strip of standing hair. He looks better without it.

kjm...I mean Simon - You crack me up. Thanks for the post critique. I will think about your words and try to improve my future posts.

I like Simon, most of the time, and usually agree with him. But sometimes he's just hateful, or uses all the wrong words. I think he was trying to say that the one guy needed to update his look and his musical style instead of saying that he looked like he had been locked up in his room. Poor kid. If he survives this round, he will probably come back all freshly bronzed, stylishly dressed and coiffed, and still sound bad.

Was anyone else upset that they eliminated the emotional little runaway kid, who lived in his car? I liked him, and thought he was really good, up until that last round. Simon misjudged his reason for sucking as being overconfident. Actually he and the band/backup singers were all exhausted and couldn't get in sync when they practiced. Maybe he will try again next year.
  7. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Thanks for giving me his name, I think he is also from my state, Missouri. I can't remember anything (fibrofog). I do too miss the guy that lived in his car and i felt so sorry for him. I just wanted to hug him when he started to pout.

Well, the girls are going to rock the house tonight. Can't wait to talk about it tomorrow. I am really rooting for the girl that her Dad died while she was auditioning.
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I like to watch it, but don't always agree with judges' opinions.

One of the guys sang slightly off-key and really off-key through most of the song-----and the judges liked him!

I'm not good with names, so I can't tell you which one it was. There were about 4 really good singers.

I'm looking forward to tonight's ladies' competition.
  9. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Fibromickster, I'm from Missouri too! And still there. I grew up in KC, then moved to Springfield in the mid 70's.

joyfully - I remember the guy who sang off key, just can't remember which one it was now. I couldn't believe Simon didn't catch that. Sometimes I think WE can hear it more clearly than they can there, with all the big loud speakers and stuff.

I am no good with remembering the names either, except David's. I cheated and looked at the website for the others names.
  10. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

And I think this is gonna be one of the best seasons based on what I'm already hearing.

I think they sent a few very talented singers home early in the auditions though. Some of them just chose a horrible song and was not allowed a second attempt, while others had only a fair voice and was allowed a second chance to go on to Hollywood, and then did not make the top 24.

I can't wait to see the girls sing tonight. I really like the little black girl with the bluesy voice. I also like the girl from Ireland and the rocker chick with the black and orange hair. But I don't think she'll make it too far.
  11. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Randy and Paula usually pick up on the off-key singing.
    I was flabbergasted when they said he did a good job, or they talked about his stage presence rather than his singing ability. Go figure!
  12. kjade

kjade New Member

I agree with you Kina - I think a guy will win this year. I was not too enthused with any of the girls, although I did like the tiny girl (can't recall her name) and the Irish girl. I do like the rocker chic, but can't see her winning the whole thing.

I was much happier with the guys. Just my opinion.
  13. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

There were a few good girls in the group, but I don't think any of them were as good as the 3 best boys, so far. That could all change though, this early in the game. I imagine after the way the judges were the first night, the girls were extra nervous. And some of them were sick. What a horrible time to come down with the flu or bronchitis - like getting a big shiny nose pimple on prom night!
  14. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

OMG I was shocked to hear that voice coming out of such a little body! As Randy says "That girl can BLOW".
    She was the best, IMO.
  15. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I've been watching it forever...I think this year there is a lot of talent both in the boys and girls. I have quite a few favorites so far. As time goes by, they are really going to improve a lot. I'd tell ya the favorites, but I forgot their names... :-{