Is anyone wearing a comfortable bra?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aprilhuque, Feb 15, 2003.

1. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

My bras are just making me crazy. I may only be a B cup, but I have tried literally dozens of bras only to find that I cannot tolerate them . . . too much strain on my shoulders and back . . .

anyone wearing anything comfortable? when I am at home I go without, but I work part-time and sometimes have to wear one. for now, I like camisoles and the like, but I know someone out there might have a potential . . .

Thanks
    April
  2. talldi

talldi New Member

I switched to sports bras years ago when they hit the market.
    I am only a B cup too but have a large rib cage. Goes along with being a 5'11" Dutchwoman like my mom. You cant find nice lingerie (ie sexy) if all of you is a size 16/18 ( and not fat either)like her and your "boobies" are only the size of your 4'11" english grandmother. Sigh...lololol.
    Best of luck
    di
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

is there such a thing as a comfortable bra??? I am a DDD and I haven't found anything that doesn't hurt my shoulders. A long time ago my doctor suggested I have a breast reduction and since I'm chicken when it comes to surgery I wouldn't do it. Now, of course, I wish I had but I really fear the thought of surgery now since it takes so long to recover from anything anymore. I do wear a Bali with underwire support and that's the best I have found.

Dara
  4. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

I have a large rib cage & B cup- I found Hanes Her Way bras that are stretchy (100% Nylon-like microfiber) & slip on over your head like a sports bra (no clasps or hooks-those itch me bad)- they are sold at Target & Walmart are very inexpensive & the most comfortable when I HAVE to wear a bra. At home I don't wear one. Now, these bras don't give much support but they work for me. As for you better endowed girls- I thought I saw an ad not too long ago where someone (Just My Size maybe?) was making bras that had gel or padded straps that are new & are supposed to be less painful. I can't wear sports bras because the band at the bottom causes me rib pain. I hope the info helps! Take care!
    ***Pixie***
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

I cannot wear a conventional bra anymore. No matter how soft or flexible I was always pulling it down in front because of the discomfort primarily under my left breast, about where the underwire would be. If I wear a one piece, like a swimsuit, it solves the problem because there is equal tension from the bottom and top so it never rides up to the tender spot enough to be unbearable. In the summer they are way too hot so am going to try a strapless and see what happens. If I can get the energy I might try and design some garter like straps that will run to my panties and hopefully do the same thing without the extra hot fabric. I cant tell you how long it took me to discover what the problem was so put on a bra and really think about what hurts and why.
    I'm only a bcup too so size isnt the problem
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2003]
  6. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I have tryed different approaches and have not found an answer except at home, none. I couldn`t understand why I came home so nauseated after being out. Duh, Finally figured it out my bra made my costrochondritis worse and pressed around hiatal hernia area. It is hard for me to go with out since I am a D and not very heavy. Thought it was only my shoulders and neck it made worse but it is also hard on these other regions. Wish I could invent a good answer for us who have to wear a bra. Could just walk around holding them up, little sagging with age, but then people may just talk, oh well they will anyway.
  7. palmtree

palmtree New Member

The best bra I have ever found is the "Body by Victoria" at Victoria Secret. I am barely a B and the body bras give you a good shape and are so soft and comfortable. They are all I wear! Good luck!
  8. 2girls

2girls New Member

The most confortable bra is NO bra. I am a stay at home Mom, and almost always do not wear one (Also a B cup). I will only wear one when absolutely necessary.

2girls
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

I like Playtex, the ones with the padded shoulders. I don't believe the 18 hour myth, though. I'm a c or d cup, depending on the bra, so have to wear one, except at home. If I need a bra at home, I wear soft 'sleep' bras that hook in the front, easier to put on. Can't STAND underwires, but my cousin, who also has FMS, can't be without them. It's all so personal.

You might want to try the website for Decent Exposures, good product, although a little pricey. They custom make bras from cotton fabrics. Nice people.

Peace,
    Beth.
  10. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

It's been almost 3 years since my car accident...and I have learned the hard way the only way to be as pain free as possible is no bra, no undies, no heels! I have become pretty inventive when it comes to going braless, something I would have NEVER done in public before! (Except for a summer halter top)

I rarely dress up anymore since I am in so much pain/exhaustion...but on Christmas I wore the dredded bra, and immediately unhooked it when in the car!;-)

I am in so much pain today...despite Norco (vicodin) xanax and roxicodone...already had a tremor attack after massaging a trigger point - i can never win...my body ALWAYS 'gets me back' if you know what i mean!

~B~
  11. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

You're kidding right? I haven't worn a bra since right after my son was born!! After I went down to my prepregnancy weight, I was (still am) only an A cup. Bras are useless to me right now. And when I did have to wear them, I only wore Hanes sports bras. They seemed to be the most comfy....

I wear camisoles and little tank tops. Basically just undershirts to help keep me warm...
  12. foxylady57

foxylady57 New Member

I tried sport bras and anything else I could find and they all were a problem. The bra straps hit on trigger points and caused my arm to go numb and put me in even more pain. I go without a bra, even though I bought one about a year ago for a special occasion and felt I had to wear one It was still too tight in the ribs and drove me nuts and hurt my shoulder and arm. I am no longer a barely A as I was several years ago. And this last bunch of weight gained resulted in my boobs suddenly heading south. Oh well I don't care and don't wear a bra at home or when I go out to run errands. If someone has a problem with it don't look at me. I have to much pain to voluntarly add more. I think I am becoming like the poem about being old and wearing purple and red and so on.
  13. SCARLETT415

SCARLETT415 New Member

My sister knows of my constant shoulder pain and had me try on hers (Body by Victoria) mentioned in the post above. It is well worth every bit of the 30.00 it costs. I had never spent that much on 3 bras before!!! If at all possible, try one on. Very comfortable.
    Hugs,
    Annette(3)
  14. paula45

paula45 New Member

I, too, love the Body by Victoria at Victoria's Secret. I went in and told them I have back and rib pain and want the most comfortable bra they have without a wire. The salesperson convinced me to try this one on and I was totally convinced. I own three. I'm not large busted either and I wear the shaping demi bra (there is more than one in the BBV line of VS). I hate sports bras because, for me, they are WAY too tight. Just go to Victoria's Secret and try on till you find perfection. It's what I did. Good luck.
    Paula
  15. BluEyes

BluEyes New Member

... another "burning of the Bras". Along with a movement to "legalize drugs" (or at least let us have something that REALLY helps. Maybe we could even hold a "sit in" (because it hurts too much to stand).

Sorry --- just had to get that "off my chest" (hehehe)

Seriously... once again I find comfort in knowing that yet another humiliating Fibro Fact... is shared, and more importantly understood, by so many.

Hugs all,
    Blu
  16. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

buy a tube top and sew some straps on if you don't want to have to keep pulling it up. I like them because I can't feel any pressure under my breasts.
  17. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am small-breasted, so these wouldn't be great for everyone, but I wear Jockey bras. They are inexpensive, very soft and comfortable, and you can buy them everywhere. I don't know the exact model, but they are very thin knit, and not real substantial, but I don't need a ton of support. But they are very comfortable!

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Pam
  18. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

The one idea of a tube top with soft straps sounds great. I'm a 40D so tubes don't give me enough support but if it was constructed right I think it would work. Also like the idea of a one piece line a body suit as long as the bottom isn't to constricting. Let's all write to the bra companies with suggestions.

My phy. therapist thinks I should be wearing a posture bra - has anyone had luck with them? I hate to buy one and find it's even worse.

In the mean time I'm like many of you...braless at home!

PS: I just found the Just My Size "spa" bra with the gel in straps on their website...it looks comfortable and on sale now.[This Message was Edited on 02/16/2003]
  19. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

thanks April, for bringing this problem to the fore front!!
    I've always been uncomfortable in any bra and am in constant search for a comfortable one. I think " comfortable bra" is an oxymoron!!! There is no such thing.
    I was looking at Victoria's secret at bra's, and the sales lady said I should be at Lane Bryants, they are Victorias Secret for larger ladies. Boy, did I turn red and feel embarrassed. So, for you ladies who can buy the comfortable bra from VS, you're lucky. I wear a D size and can't fit into theirs. Nothing has been comfortable. I will try a couple of ideas that were mentioned here.

If we could invent a truely comfortable bra we would make a fortune.
    Like someone else said, I love this site cause you can find answers to ANY question we think of...
    sue