Is anyone with CFS taking Probost Thymic Protein A?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Sep 18, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just wondering if anyone was currently taking this and getting any results from it.

Thanks.

Kholmes
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

It seemed to help at first, but as time went on... either the effect diminished or i didn[t notice it.

Also, I just had a natural killer cell assay done.adn my reading was a 5 on a scale where the normal range is 8 to 170.

I don't know what that says... I wasn't taking anything to combat my viral load at the time. Maybe, it's no good just on its own.

I know the FFC recommends it.

My jury is out.
    Delia
  3. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Actually I haven't taken it regularly, but when I do take it, I immediately feel more energy for the next few hours.

Also I've read a few articles on it and it is suppose to fix the RNasal molecule in people with CFS. Per the article most people with CFS have a RNasal molecule that is about 1/2 the size of a regular one and this makes it less effective in fighting against viruses and other infections. Also CFS people can have an up-regulated virus antigen that is not as effective. So Proboost is suppose to fix the RNasal and down regulate the over-active and ineffective virus antigen system.

Also if you have Autoimmune, Thymic extract (Proboost is a Tymic extract) is suppose to modulate the Immune System.

I'm going to take it regularly for the next few months and check my NK Cells and the Autoimmune Antibodies and we
    ll see if that made a different in the Antibody levels.

Hope it does.
    Chootik
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I am absolutely sure that if I take several packets of this stuff over the course of a day when I am starting to "get sick" with a cold or flu (e.g. scratchy throat), the problem is almost always solved immediately. (I actually don't get full-blown colds or flus, just low-level versions that make me very tired and take weeks to get past).

A couple of friends who don't have CFS agree that Proboost works well for this purpose.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to try taking three packets of this stuff a day for several weeks to see if I feel better in general, but I've never gotten around to it. If anyone has tried it, let me know.

I'm not sure that this stuff is supposed to make your own immune system stronger (thereby increasing things like Natural Killer cells). It's more like it helps to kill viruses on its own. Am I wrong about that?
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I took it for over 6 months for CFS and working during the school year (3pkgs a day). It helped me, but when I cut back I relapsed and now started taking it again.

It works best 3 x a day over 6 months. Expensive, but I think helps a bit. Nut a cure all, but a big help.

CherylSue
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

This is something I may try again soon.
  7. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I am a big fan of the stuff for the same reason as lisapetrison - it seems to really knock down a 'bug'. I have kids in grade school and it helps me sooooo much. I take a packet every 2 to 4 hours for that purpose.

I have tried the 3x per day and I do believe it helps, but it's so expensive I just do 2 unless I am feeling in a flare or getting a bug.

My understanding is that it helps raise the NK cells.

Hope this helps,
    Gretchen

8. dannybex

dannybex Member

...as others have mentioned, one really does need to take it like a medicine, 2 times a day -- even once a day, away from food.

A clinical study has shown it helped 67% of patients with CFIDS. As others have said, not a cure all, but it doesn't claim to be. I think other immune boosters and liver detoxification correction is necessary.

And -- a side note -- I wouldn't buy it at the FFC Centers. They charge $79(!) for it, when you can get it elsewhere online for $39.

Makes me wonder how much they're overcharging for other things...?

Dan
  9. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I am on the discount plan so it arrives every month from ProHealth. Costs about $44 a box of 30. I take 3 a day. It helps ward off the viral stuff, and I used it as a preventative measure while I was working in a school. In the summer, I dropped down, and my CFS relapsed due to over exertion.

It's just another tool in the fight against CFS. You don't need viral infections to make things worse. Sambucol elderberry extract was also helpful in preventing viral infections.

I would recommend everyone have a stash of both of these on hand during the winter months. Not a cure all, but a useful tool, nonetheless.

CherylSue