Is anyones pain worse when you lay down to sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by kimo, Feb 8, 2005.

1. kimo

kimo New Member

My mom and i have fibro and as long as she keeps moving her pain isn't as bad, but when she lies down to go to bed she says the pain in hips and legs is like a cold deep hurting and she can't stand it anymore. She is the kind of person who suffers,never complains and doesn't take meds. Is this common with fibro to hurt worse when trying to go to bed???? Thanks..........KIMO
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

That is why I take Zanaflex at night. It's a muscle relaxer with a sedating effect. I take it early (around 9 pm) and they I'm ready to fall asleep instantly when I go to bed around midnight.

However, I wake up during the night often due to the pain in my shoulder and hip on whichever side that I am sleeping on. I rotate to the other side until I wake up in pain. Then I flip to my stomach and sleep until my arms and shoulders are hurting too much from having my arms up over my head (clinching the pillow).

By now it's around 6 or 7 am and the pain is too bad to stay in bed. So I get up and sit in my LazyBoy reclinder to "rest". I'll drink a few cups of coffee while watching the Today show and once hubby is out the door to work (I am retired!), then the pain has eased up some, so I go back to bed for a few more hours! Oh how blessed I am to go back to bed -- I love retirement!!! LOL

(I used to get to bed around 11:30 pm and had to get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work. I did this for 30+ years!! Ugh!)

So, kimo, your mother is correct. She really needs to take a muscle relaxer like Zanaflex at night. If she has never been on any meds like that, her doctor will probably start her off on Elavil--many of the docs do. It's extremely cheap and works well for the majority of people.

Tell her antidepressants are often prescribed for fibro patients even if they are not depressed (however, I believe most are--how could you not be living with this pain daily?!) A new antidepressant called Cymbalta is out that helps on muscle and joint pain, and has greatly helped my fibro pain. It is also approved for diabetics in case she is one.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I know how your Mom feels. I have gone to bed feeling fine, after awhile I am in terrible pain. I have read everything I could about FM, but never see where anyone addresses this problem.

I do not take meds either, but do take ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6), it has helped a great deal with the pain/spasms/and deep sleep. In fact, I do not get RLS anymore since I started ZMA.

Also I use a Cuddle Ewe mattress pad, or Featherbed, with a 'mattress heating pad' on top of either one.

Its soft, and the mattress heating pad adds just enough gentle heat to help with the pain.

I wonder if our blood has anything to do with this? It seems like we lose body heat when we lay down, which seems to cause pain.

Just a thought.....................

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 02/08/2005]
  4. Gly

Gly New Member

I can relate to your Mom's experience. As long as I keep moving, I'm not in too much pain. But, due to the fatigue, I need to lie down to rest during the day. Then it's like my body "seizes up" with pain if I get close to falling asleep.

I'm OK at night, though, but I do take Trazodone and Imovane for sleep and I sleep in a VERY warm room (about 80 degrees F - it cools a few degrees during the night). Like Shirl and many others, I just can't seem to create my own body heat. I also pre-warm my bed by putting my electric blanket under the mattress pad.

[This Message was Edited on 10/18/2007]
  5. jef40

jef40 New Member

I lay down and I start having back muscle spasms. Then, my legs get restless and start to hurt. The Flexeril really doesn't help, even if I take more than I prescribed.

Klonopin seems to relax me pretty well, but I get up in pain most days. I cannot afford the mattress toppers and I am trying to use an egg crate type mattress pad. It really does help, but probably not as much as a cuddle-ewe or such.

Once I get going in the morning I do pretty well until I sit down and relax again. It seems to be an endless cycle!
  6. shirley2925

shirley2925 New Member

I know very well what you are going through. I have had Fibromyalgia for more than 15 years and this past year the night time pain has gotten worse.I am on several different types of medication but they can only do so much. The day to day stress of always being tired is a real pain along with not sleeping.
  7. beccanrobg

beccanrobg Member

but... I have to sleep on the couch a good deal of the time. I use flexeral and trazedone to sleep - but I'm still real restless and ANY noise keeps me up - another reason I sleep on the couch as my hubby snores (really not that loud) but even with earplugs is disruptive for me. Luckily I like the couch as it seems to support my back.

I have more problems when I wake up with numbness and pain usually on the side I slept on.

I recommend electric blanket if you can't find a reasonably priced heated mattress pad - That's what I've been using and it has helped a lot with discomfort issues.

What I wish is that when I can't sleep that I'd have energy to get some of the chores done. oh well.
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I feel like my muscles and entire body is stiffening and just not circulating as well when I'm not moving, so that's certainly the case when I'm sleeping.

That's why exercise makes me feel better and sitting too long (or sleeping) makes it worse for me.

I try to even move around a little in bed if I'm not quite tired yet to prevent muscle stiffness. (It doesn't help for the whole nite, but it's nice in the beginning!) Pain meds only help temporarily too. Very frustrating to say the least.

All the best,

Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2005]
  9. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

My bedtime pain/sleeping pattern is very similar. The bed is too hard but I'm stuck with it for now. I'm hoping to get a Tempurpedic [or similar] mattress in the future.
    I can't sleep on my right side because my arm falls asleep and my hips hurt and I can only sleep on my left side for a little while for the same reason.
    I ALWAYS wake up with hip and back pain. I start my coffee, turn on the heating pad in my chair, and they're both ready for me after I wash my face.
    That's how I start my day every day!
    After about an hour, and after moving around some, if it doesn't ease up some, I take Vicodin. This helps immensely and I can move around fairly easily for a few hours. My Doc allows me 2 Vicodin per day and with them, I can do the minimum necessary housework/shopping/etc. and babysit my granddaughter once or twice a week. [she's almost 3 so I rarely have to lift her]

Char
  10. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

It's really kind of unbelievable. Not 5 minutes after I lay down at night the pain starts. It's there in the day, but at night, look out.

Hips and lower back are the worst. Just throbbing sometimes... I rub Biofreeze on all areas, and finally do get to sleep, but I sure to understand what your Mom is going through.

11. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Absolutely...& it's been this way for years. The #1 worst daily pain is on waking up, #2 is instant I lay down to sleep. It's so bad I gasp out with the surge of pain up my back.

doctors never seem to relate, exept to say, some of my other patients say the same thing.

duh....
  12. rubyann

rubyann New Member

The Feet, the hip, the spasms in the back and the restless legs dancing all over the bed (pleases the husband ) all get worse, probably cuz everything acts up when this girl with fms tries to relax. If I could walk all day long I would feel good, but thats pretty unrealistic! Blessings, Rubyann
  13. Jollymom

Jollymom New Member

I have so many layers of padding, egg crate, feathers, sheepskin, comforters on my bed and pillows pillows pillows, it's ridiculous, and loverly wonderfully soft. I need soft. still, when i wake, each time i have to stretch and flex starting with fingers that feel like glass and sometimes I have to move my legs with my hands to get going, difficult. I did have terrible hip aching when i had a regular type mattress with support.