Is Arthritis Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2bafriend, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 2bafriend

2bafriend New Member

Today my friend & i were talking about her Dr.Appt, and she said her Dr. took blood and was testing for all kinds of stuff, Liver function, Arthritis? I sort of commented, why was her Dr. Doing test for Arthritis and not more focused on treating the fibro symptoms. I asked her if she had arthritis too, and she said arthritis is fibromyalgia. I acted suprised, and though i don't think it is, i didn't want to argue with her. I do not have fibro, and my friend does... and i don't think it would be fair t tell her what illness she has, and act like i know what she has and is going through... Its bad enough she has to be in so much pain every day and go through so much, let alone have a close friend TELL her about it. So i didn't.

But i am curious to know... IS fibro a form of arthritis? I don't know if i'm confused about this or if she is...

I'm a little concerned about her Dr. too. Shouldn't her Dr. be more focused on the fibro and helping her sleep better, feel better,etc. instead of looknig for arthritis? She has had alot of pain in her check and left side of her ribs lately.

Also... If Shooting pain in her left leg & arm a Fibro Symptom, or part of nerve damage?

Sorry for so many questions... i just care about ym friend alot and the Drs. arn't the best around herer.

BILLCAMO New Member

no , they are not the same. Many people with "Arthur" do not have Fibro. And a number of people have both.

Related ? possibly.

But , I will express my opinion......Fibro is so much more complicated than "Arthur".

Blessings ,

3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You can have both - but no, they are not the same at all. At least according to all of my doctors (two rheumatologists and one PCP).
  4. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

One of the first tests my doctor did was an arthritis blood test. No arthritis, then she did all the other tests and found that I have FM. But now some three years later I do have arthritis in my spine along with other things. But no they are not the same. It took alot for her to finally get me an MRI because once your diagnosed with FM then every pain you have they think its just FM. Until the MRI came back, now she takes my pain alittle more seriously, come to think of it I think I need to get a new doctor!
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

FM and Arthritis are not the same. They originally thought they were related when they called it Fibrositis but part of the reason that they changed the name is because it is not Arthritis.

They have tests for Arthritis and it is more centered around inflammation where FM is not.

6. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I believe they are related. I was diagnosed with fibro about 18 years ago. I showed no arthritis on x-rays. Then as the years passed I started showing osteo-arthritis then spinal stenosis. So for me the fibro was a hint of what was to come. Now I have the pain of all three. The fibro hurts more in my arms, legs, shoulders and neck. The Osteo=arthritis hurts mostly in my back and knees. The spinal stenosis hurts in my lower back with pain down my leg where my siatic nerve is pinched by the stenosis.

Either one causes the others or they are related in some way.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most of FMS pain is in the softer tissues; however, a person with FMS can have OA or RA as well. The only docs treating FMS for a long time were rheumatologists and they didn't seem to know what to do for us because they tried to use treatments for arthritis.

Most people will develop some form of OA as they age. My FMS predates my OA by decades.

Love, Mikie