Is buying a wheelchair giving up??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rainorshine, Aug 3, 2006.

1. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

I don't think so.

I said something about it to my Rhreumy and that's what he said. I didn't want to argue at the time, thought I'll do what I want.

I only need it when I am out with others shopping etc..
    and I don't want to go home and not participate. My body just can't seem to keep up with me. And I pay dearly if I go against it.

Not to mention I would be emberessed to even be in one, but as my mother say's "who cares what they think".

C

2. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

Buying a wheelchair is not giving up! Its just the opposite---------it will open up your world. You'll get out and you will enjoy your life again.

I purchased a scooter and it means the world to me. I could care less what others think or how they look at me. I am so happy using it and I can leave my home and finally do and see what I want.

I hope you will consider getting a motorized chair. It will cost more but you can be more independent and you will not need the help of others. They're wonderful.

Good luck to you. Hope you will follow through.

Blessings,

Arlene
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Of course its not giving up, it means you can get out when you would otherwise have to stay home.

I understand your embarrassment, I have a wheelchair and I'm too embarrassed to use it. I know it's vain and silly but I will get there one day.

love
    Rosie
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

rainorshine:

Sure...why not get it for when you need it? I have been eyeing the Hoverounds for future needs.

nyrofan

5. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

How dare that doctor say you would be giving up to use a wheelchair! The Dr isn't the one who is in terrible pain for days after overdoing just one day. I'd like to see him live just one day in your shoes. What does he know about accepting physical limitations that you never dreamed you would have. It takes a very strong person to get into the chair, accept your limitations and still go forward.

I used to think using a chair would be giving up too, until I found myself using my crutches with more and more difficulty, and having to stay home because I was too vain to use the motorized grocery cart or a wheelchair at the mall.

Use what ever kind of support you need to use! I SAY USE THE WHEELCHAIR AND HAVE FUN SHOPPING WITH YOUR FRIENDS!!

God Bless You, NanaMama
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

A wheelchair can actually be something good. It can give you back mobility, relieve pain, and permit you to do things which you haven't been able to do.

I would be house bound without my scooter.

Additionally, I can take out laundry while seated, do dishes, and even cook, which is impossible for me to do standing.

7. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

all for the support

It's just hard to see myself in one. But if I want a life I guess I'll have to cave.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

ninth grade English class. We read two essays by folks who used wheel chairs.

One was saying she hated the prison she was trapped in.
    The other was saying how great to be able to get out of the house again.

Taught me a valuable lesson about life.

When my father was old and arthritic, the family went to Disneyland. We were provided w/ a wheelchair, no charge. My father loved it. First time he had ever been in one. The visit to Disneyland was the highlight of his trip to California.
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Rainorshine, I don't think I can add to anything that's already been said here, but I just am ready to burst from your doctor's comment. Why in the world would you want a wheelchair unless you need it? I need a wheelchair sometimes and am glad I have it. It makes it possible for me to get out and do things that I would otherwise miss out on.

Last week I had to have a scan and an ecocardiogram at the hospital. I had my cane that day. When the receptionist asked me if I needed a wheelchair, I say YES!!!!! I would have been in a world of hurt otherwise. The hallways are so long in hospitals.

It might be helpful for you to get a prescription for a wheelchair, because in my case my insurance carrier paid for mine.

Some doctors don't have a clue about the pain of FMS. If I were you, I might consider taking this thread to him. He might see things differently.

Lolalee
  10. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

Thanks, I will talk to my pcp about a rx for a chair.
    Also a handicap sticker(or whatever).
  11. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I have a handicap license plate for my car and a handicap sticker for my husband's car. Try to get as much help as you can.

Lolalee
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I am a former mountain climber, biker, and skier, who is now disabled with severe CFS. I use both a wheelchair and an old Amigo motorized scooter, which a friend just gave me this past weekend.

We have a handicapped placard for the rear view window of our car.

Using these is not giving up; in fact, they help me get out more and do way more than I would otherwise.

Sincerely,

Kholmes
  13. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

because I can walk and move and breath, I feel I am not disabled enough, but on the other hand the pain, fatigue, brain fog, dizziness etc..etc..etc..is something healthy people don't deal with.

Is there such a thing as diabled enough?..goodgrief.

I can't think staight today so if I don't make sense..sorry.

I'm still blessed
    C

14. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

My father in law who is 80 and I went to the grocery store. I pushed the basket and he pushed me in the wheelchair. It was such a kick. We were laughing and going all over. I'm sure we were a strange sight.
    He has recently passed away and that wheelchair time is one of my favorite memories.

Take Care Sally
  15. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

ohmygosh, that made me laugh hard!

Thank you
    C
  16. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

He sounds as if he was a lovely man Sally.

No, you're not giving up by using a wheelchair. I've used one when out for 15 years & couldn't get to a medical appointment without it.
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I know what you mean about wondering if you are "disabled enough."

Technically, I can walk (very short distances anyway). But there is no way I could make it from the car into a store or the doctor's office.

Sometimes, when I'm out in public, I want to stand up, get out of my wheelchair, and yell, "It's a miracle! I've been cured!"

Kholmes
  18. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Sometimes the mental piece of this illness feels equally as hard as the physical!!

As others have said here, it is actually giving you more freedom. It's just getting over the stigma you have in your mind about it. I know, not easy, I guess that's where this support comes in handy :)

Kholmes -- hysterical -- DO IT :)

scapper
  19. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Using the wheelchair is something you should not feel guilty about. They are miraculous inventions that enable you to get out in the world without exhausting yourself.

It is not giving up - I am sorry your doctor thinks that. I have a wheelchair I insist on using with my husband who had back surgery in April.

It is very nice to go to a mall and let him get out and see everything. I don't care what anyone else thinks and you should feel that way also.

You will always have good and bad days, you have learned by now you need to take care of yourself. They have a new wheelchair I am ordering for my husband called the "Transporter" - it is only 14 lbs and very easy to put in car.

My husband actually loved it the first time we used the chair. He was so cute!!
  20. sues1

sues1 New Member

You are reclaiming life
    and enjoying it more. We all need a certain amount of freedom. Makes you less depressed also.
    Blessings......Susan