Is codeine as strong as vicodin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by willruthie1965, Jul 1, 2008.

1. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Wondering if codeine is as strong as vicodin? IS tylenol 3 codeine? Darvocet is very weak for me. Is darvocet codeine? Anyone who can clarify these meds for me. Ruthie
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

This is going to be a layman's description and a pharmacist might do better.

Tylenol 3 is tylenol with codeine, I believe 30 mgs of codeine. Tylenol 4 has 60 mg. It is a schedule 3 drug

Darvocet is propoxy-n which is a narcotic derivative but not codeine. It is weaker than codeine. It was a schedule 4 drug, I'm not sure if that has changed.

Vicodin is hydrocodone. This is much stronger than codeine, however the dosing is such that the pills have a relatively equal amount as Tylenol 3 (ie. 5 mg of hydrocodone in regular Vicodin).

Percocet and percodan is oxycodone. Percocet is with tylenol, percondan is with aspirin. It is stronger than all of the above and used to be a Schedule 2 drug, which means it requires a special prescription tablet (triplicate so the DEA can keep track). Percodan has street value.

Oxycontin is very strong narcotic and also schedule 2. My understanding about Oxycontin is that it is simply the pain reliever with no additional drug, such as tylenol or asprin.

Demoral is synthetic morphine and is used after surgery a great deal or for pain with cancer.

Morphine of course, is the grandaddy of them all.

I hope this helps. Again, this a layman's overview, but it gives you an idea of what is what.
  3. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Here's a primer on some pain med names. Vicodin is hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Usually, pain meds that have "cet" in the name contain acetaminophen, like darvocet (propoxyphene and acetaminophen), lorcet (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) etc.

Propoxyphene is the active ingredient in darvocet. It's about a low strength pain med, though it works for me. Propoxyphene by itself is Darvon. But almost all of these meds work better when they're mixed with NSAIDs or acetaminophen.

The ones with codeine, like tylenol 3 (acetaminophen and codeine), would be a bit stronger and the strongest are the ones with hydrocodone and oxycodone. Ones that end in "contin" like oxycontin, are time released. I don't like those, they're way too strong for me.

Well, it looks like I was typing at the same time as tex, but I'll just leave this anyway.[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

You clarified a bit about oxycontin for me. I really wasn't quite sure what it was other than a derivative of oxycodone. You would think I learned all this when I worked for the dentist, but unfortunately, I learned most during my "seeking" days. Thank God I'm over that!
  5. Catseye

Catseye New Member

yeah, the contins are strong as hell. If you take one and it's too strong, you have to suffer through about 12 hours of it until it wears off. I tried codicontin (codeine) of just 10 mg and it floored me and I didn't like the effects at all.

Those are mostly for cancer patients, though, the really strong ones. There is a contin for morphine, it's called MS Contin for morphine sulfate I think, but it comes in strengths of up to 150 mg or something and that would kill most of us if we took one. Morphine is actually synthetic heroin. Demerol (sp?) is aka mepergan which is short for it's name: meperidine, another opiate derived drug, Class I, + phenergan for the nausea you're bound to experience while taking it. I really like mepergan, it makes me sleep so well!

Personally, I find the ones with "cet" or tylenol to be much harder on the liver. Ibuprofen isn't so hot for the liver, either, but I think it's a lot less troublesome. I would stick to ones like vicoprofen (hydrocodone and ibuprofen) and the other ones without "cet" like darvon. You can take some ibuprofen with the darvon - they usually mix it with acetaminophen anyway and get darvocet.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It just shows how different we all are...
    Oxycontin helps greatly for steady pain control. It doesn't seem strong to me, because I probably have some tolerance built up. The first thing the pain clinic did when I went there was put me on that to control the ups and downs of the other pain meds. I found that they also don't have a problem upping the dose on that nearly as much as other pain meds.
    There are many different "kinds" of vicodin that you can take. Darvocet is notoriously a very weak pain medication.
    With vicodin you can take more of the Hydrocodone and less tylenol, or the other way around. There are many different variations you can play around with to find what works for you. I took Norco for a while 10/325. There is a Vicodin that is 5/325, 5/500 - it goes on and on...
    Hopefully you can find something that works for you!!