Is depression the right diagnosis?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by cheez, Aug 15, 2009.

1. cheez

cheez New Member

Hi, I'm new here on the boards...looking to get input from other people who get what's going on in my life. I was diagnosed with depression about a year ago by my doctor...but I always feel like he was quick to decide what was wrong and never asked enough to see if there was anything more. I don't even know if I was/am necessarily depressed. I do get sad and feel very lonely. There are almost two sides to me: I either feel incredible and can't comprehend why I ever felt sad OR I feel hopelessly alone and angry, like no one in my life cares about me. When I'm feeling the second way, I know that it's irrational, but I have no control over it. I get very angry, very moody, and feel isolated from the world. Does anyone else feel this way? I've lost a lot of friends because of this anger I can't control...and I feel a sense of anxiety that it is only a matter of time that I mess up any relationship with friends. I don't feel like I've explained it accurately, but hopefully you understand the general idea.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The only way you will find out about a diagnosis, is to see a psychiatrist (not a therapist) and when making the appointment ask if they can do some tests to determine the diagnosis. It may take more than one visit. Now some insurance carriers are tightening the reigns on mental health providers and how much time they can spend during one visit with a patient and are putting limits on how many visits during one year.

My HMO will only allow a psychiatrist to meet for about 10 minutes per visit to provide a prescription for mental health medication but not therapy and no regular general doctor can provide mental health medication. So everyone must see a psychiatrist for mental health meds. But with my HMO if you want therapy, you can only see a therapist and not a psychiatrist.

Also, when there are highs of feeling so good, then lows with anger, the psychiatrist then may consider potential bipolar and looks to rule that out. So that's another reason to return to a psychiatrist and get your complete diagnosis. Good luck.
  3. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

I recommend seeing a psychologist
  4. springwater

springwater Active Member

sounds a bit like bipolar. Better have yourself evaluated by a mental therapist.

God Bless