Is Early Menopause Linked to FM Sufferers? Help wanted

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by severina, Aug 19, 2004.

1. severina

severina New Member

I am wondering if I am starting this, as Ive been feeling weird (whats new!) & my period is late, ( I am definately not pregnant). I am wondering if anyone here is or has went through an early menopause & if so, what are the symptoms, especially in relation to Fibro? Im almost 39. Thanks
  2. gazoo

gazoo New Member

I went through menopause when I was 36 but menopause in our 30's runs in my family.

I only had a few symptoms luckily. I had a few hot flashes and my periods stopped. I went to the doc and they did a blood test in their office and let me know right then that I was going through it.

My daughters say they can't wait. lol.

3. hoosiermama

hoosiermama New Member

I am right now. I had a late child at 39. I had my tubes tired after. I then didn't get my period back for about 6 months. Gyno wanted me on a hormone to restart them, but it said "could cause blood clots, heart attacks, etc." I refused to take it. Then my GP took a blood test. Sure enough it was meno. Then they came back for 6 months, then left for 6 months, now its been gone again. I still get the "phantom period" thing. Its yucky! All the symptoms no period. I have been trying to research this myself. Good post!!
  4. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

I was smack dab in the middle of menopause when I was 40 (by blood tests), had hot flashes, night sweats and bad anxiety. I tried natural remedies and took soy like it was going out of style. The anxiety made me go on medication. I went back on the pill, a very low dose, and take it every day. Symptoms went away.

I am now 42, still on the pill and ended up with fibro and Hashimotos hypothyroid diagnosed in June of this year. After researching the Hashimoto's I read it can be caused by too much soy intake - so watch it everyone! It is also an autoimmune disease.

Unfortunatly the night sweats are back though - and worse. :( But, I think it's due to the other things going on now, not menopause.

Brenda
    Atlanta, GA
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I was peri menapausal at about 31. When the real menapause hit I had very mild symptoms though. Where my
    mom's whole family had hot flashes
    for years I probably only had five the whole time. As the hormones diminished the moodiness was the worst part. I didn't choose HRT because my aunt had breast cancer and I've done fine since it ended. I KNOW I had a lot less severe menapause than most people!
  6. stagename

stagename New Member

i had an early baby, none since, no pill or anything.

hair loss, hair growth (what's with that?), irregular or missed periods, heavier or lighter periods, cramps, sweating, night sweats, hot flashes (i welcome them, it's the first time in my life i'm not cold all the time), dryness, phantom periods....

still on that treadmill two years later, but compared to FM/CFS, it's nothing. i hardly notice it. i like having fewer, lighter periods even if i get a monster one once in a while.

Of course, now that i look back, i had more depressive cycles and was more severely depressed than before. i'm on Celexa now, so that's under control.[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2004]
  7. severina

severina New Member

so much for all your replies.
    I have a son at 18 months & I was on the pill for many years, so had *regular* periods - havent been on the pill since before I was pregnant and since then my cycle has been the same, except now I feel really sweaty, anxious,moody,cramped,constipated etc,and Im just wondering if I might be going through something *hormonal*? I am also worried coz coping with that & fibro would not be easy, as a lot of you here are aware of - I have to see my doctor in a week or so, so I will speak to her then. Thanks all.x
  8. greytmom

greytmom New Member

My Doc said to me that I may be pre-menapausal,........ He is 2years old now and his name is Danny.
  9. stagename

stagename New Member

it better not be the case for me, or my hubby will have to kill the guy. :p
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I had 3 c sections and at the last the doctor told me I only had a small piece of an ovary left so this came as no surprise. Took premarin 8 years then had to go off cold turkey. The hot flashes....zowee.....at least 40 a day. Dr. will know when tests are all run. Hot flashes almost diminished when I started taking dong quai.
  11. severina

severina New Member

Hi,Ive decided to resurrect my original post about this, and I cant believe it was from August last year! Anyhow my periods became more or less normal again,but this time I have skipped one and my next is due but hasnt appeared,Ive had all the symptoms but no bleeding. Im definately not pregnant, so I know its something else. I will be 40 in October. Just want to ask those of you going through perimenopause, is this the type of thing that happens to periods? Can I have cramping and no bleeding? I have to see my doctor in a week or so, and I will be asking for a blood test to check this out. Any help, once again, appreciated.
    Arlene
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2005]
  12. severina

severina New Member

Hi,Ive decided to resurrect my original post about this, and I cant believe it was from August last year! Anyhow my periods became more or less normal again,but this time I have skipped one and my next is due but hasnt appeared,Ive had all the symptoms but no bleeding. Im definately not pregnant, so I know its something else. I will be 40 in October. Just want to ask those of you going through perimenopause, is this the type of thing that happens to periods? Can I have cramping and no bleeding? I have to see my doctor in a week or so, and I will be asking for a blood test to check this out. Any help, once again, appreciated.
    Arlene
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2005]
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was about 35 when I started having some symptoms of menopause. It started out very slowly and progressed slowly. I didn't stop having periods permanently until I was in my late 50's. Perimenopause can last a long time. During that time, periods can be irregular, extra heavy, extra light, or a mix of all the above. A woman can notice more sweating, especially at night or even hot flashes. Mood swings are often present.

Many with FMS have always had irregular periods which goes along with the theories that our hormones are not normal.

I tried to go without hormone replacement therapy, but I was getting no sleep at all because of waking up feeling too hot. This may have been the downfall into illness. It was not long after that that I got the mycoplasma infection which triggered my illnesses. I was run down from several years of poor sleep.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was about 35 when I started having some symptoms of menopause. It started out very slowly and progressed slowly. I didn't stop having periods permanently until I was in my late 50's. Perimenopause can last a long time. During that time, periods can be irregular, extra heavy, extra light, or a mix of all the above. A woman can notice more sweating, especially at night or even hot flashes. Mood swings are often present.

Many with FMS have always had irregular periods which goes along with the theories that our hormones are not normal.

I tried to go without hormone replacement therapy, but I was getting no sleep at all because of waking up feeling too hot. This may have been the downfall into illness. It was not long after that that I got the mycoplasma infection which triggered my illnesses. I was run down from several years of poor sleep.

Love, Mikie
  15. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Did you begin menstruating rather late? Oddly enough, the later you start menstruating, the earlier you usually finish....I didn't even get my first period until I was 15, wasn't "regular" until 17 or 18. I've read that if you're a late bloomer like this, menopause is usually earlier. I started with the perimenopause symptoms about 40 or so, going thru menopause now (almost 49). It can really last a while...

I can definitely relate to Stagename's symptoms....and the "hair loss" but "hair growth"--what IS up with that??! Plus all the other lovely menopause garbage. This hormonal stuff is crazy....

Pam
  16. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Did you begin menstruating rather late? Oddly enough, the later you start menstruating, the earlier you usually finish....I didn't even get my first period until I was 15, wasn't "regular" until 17 or 18. I've read that if you're a late bloomer like this, menopause is usually earlier. I started with the perimenopause symptoms about 40 or so, going thru menopause now (almost 49). It can really last a while...

I can definitely relate to Stagename's symptoms....and the "hair loss" but "hair growth"--what IS up with that??! Plus all the other lovely menopause garbage. This hormonal stuff is crazy....

Pam
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The other way round for me. I got my periods at 10 years old and have just begun the menopause and Im 55. I've had CFS for 10 years. I'm not taking HRT, I have flushing but not regulrly, maybe once or twice a week. Dont know how I will feel when its all finished with though, maybe the pain and fatigue wont be so bad. Here's hoping for all of us.
  18. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The other way round for me. I got my periods at 10 years old and have just begun the menopause and Im 55. I've had CFS for 10 years. I'm not taking HRT, I have flushing but not regulrly, maybe once or twice a week. Dont know how I will feel when its all finished with though, maybe the pain and fatigue wont be so bad. Here's hoping for all of us.
  19. severina

severina New Member

I saw my doctor on Wednesday and she immediately said oh it could be polycystic ovary syndrome -just because I said my period was late! Ive read up a lot on this and Im hoping thats not it coz Ive had symptoms like flashes etc - anyway, she did the hormone blood tests,so I have to wait and see and Im nervous,but trying not to get too stressed.
  20. severina

severina New Member

I saw my doctor on Wednesday and she immediately said oh it could be polycystic ovary syndrome -just because I said my period was late! Ive read up a lot on this and Im hoping thats not it coz Ive had symptoms like flashes etc - anyway, she did the hormone blood tests,so I have to wait and see and Im nervous,but trying not to get too stressed.