Is EpsteinBarr virus a fancy name for MONO?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shalala, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am confused.
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

Hi Shalala!!!

I can speak of this with confidence.

Epstein Barr is a virus. Nearly everybody has been exposed to it during their life. When most people acquire it, it causes little to no symptoms and they never even know they have had it. In other, less fortunate, people, they go on to become very ill. Tests and/or symptoms will confirm they have "mononucleosis" which is the illness that EBV causes.

By the way, cytomegalovirus also causes a "mononucleosis" illness. I had CMV back in 2002 which left me totally wiped out for six weeks (ran a fever 27 days straight). It took me about four months to get back to a semi-normal life. And, actually, I never recovered fully...only to end up with a life-changing crash last summer.

My EBV titers last summer showed I had a "chronic or reactivated" virus. I haven't had any recent tests ran.

My 16-year-old daughter came down with a full blown case of mononucleosis about six weeks after my crash. It's no coincidence in my mind...she caught EBV from me!!!

She has still not recovered fully from her mono. She has collapsed in school. She often sleeps through classes. She has to leave and come home often. She naps as soon as she gets home. Sleeps about 10 to 12 hours a day at this point. Her EBV titers currently show "old infection". So, officially, she has now been diagnosed as having CFS since it's been so long since the mono...so sad for her. She has the FM symptoms, too. Everything she feels, I know it because I feel it, too. We call ourselves "The Mono Family"...don't know how else to deal with it...

Anyhow, as usual, I'm rambling. Just lonely, I guess. Hope this helps a little.

How are you doing, by the way? You went off the Lyrica, didn't you...or am I confused (wouldn't be surprised at that!).

TerryS
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

Just saw your response regarding the vertigo.

YOU MIGHT SHOULD STOP DRIVING NOW!!! I had to stop a few months ago. I only dare to venture one mile down the road to our grocery store or to my PCP's office. Anywhere else, forget it!!! It's scary enough driving the one mile trip!

I've gotten used to not going anywhere. And, besides, I'm saving a lot on gasoline and keeping the mileage off my van!

TerryS
  4. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Hey Girl,

Chronic Ebstien Bar Virus is when you body never builds up a titer to the virus and it keeps circulating through your system because of this when virus is in the right condition it spins off again and you keep getting mono over and over again. Mono use to be called the kissing disease as most would get it in highschool and would pass it on to others by kissing.

God bless and hugssssss..Dee[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2007]
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Thanks for clarifying this hun. WOW ... sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering. ((((( hugs to U both )))))

I have to drive myself ... I am alone. My Dad is going to take me to the Rheumy (which is down on the Ohio State University campus (huge, busy, confusing ... lots of one way streets). I was scared to death driving to that sleep clinic. I am much better since I am off all meds but my anti-depressant. Oh I HURT really bad ... but i feel that I am not as woozy and not a danger to myself and society. That was just plain scarey. I try to keep everything in my life within a few minutes radius of my home. Sad huh?

So are you doing better? or still in a flare? that has to be rough with your daughter being ill too. But on the bright side you have some company. I hope this does not turn into something chronic for her.

((((((((( take care sweetie ))))))))) and thanks for checking on me ;-) you are a nice lady
  6. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Thanks Gigglepoet, for the Chronic Epstein Barr description. At one time it was my diagnosis, maybe still is, I have no idea as it's changed so many times.

I never really understood the meaning of this until you worded it in layman's terms. Thanks!