Is everyone here Fat?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

I was told my a friend that she thinks fms and fat go together. Then, I thought it could be PCOS causing both. Is hormones a big factor in FMS do you think? Just asking.

Donna
  2. ckk

ckk New Member

growing up i was very skinny, then i had children..then it took a few years but finally i decided on my own to lose the weight, just recently i lost over 50lbs. so to answer your question.... no i am not fat. i am 5'7 and weigh 135lbs. unless people consider that fat, i don't.
    ckk
  3. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

in your body. I have read somewhere that estrogen plays a part in women w/ FMS, and I do think that can cause weight issues. PCOS of course is a hormonal issue as well, so if you add them together, or if one precipitated the other, you'd have a double whammy.

I don't know if I really answered your question, but I don't really know much more about it.

Good Luck!
    Lollie
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I am now 28lbs over my desired weight, that is not the weight I was but one which I believe I will be comfortable at.

PCOS does cause overweight but so does cfs/fm. I read that 70% of us put 60lbs plus on, some lose weight and some remain the same.

love
    Rosie
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

You didn't mince words, did you? I'm not criticizing - it's the first laugh I had today.

Yep, I'm fat but I was born fat! I have lost weight since diagnosis, though. My stomach hurts very very bad when I overeat now. Maybe this is the first good side effect that I've found.
  6. Grandma6

Grandma6 New Member

I think the reason for a lot of us with FMS who gain weight is due to the fact that we are not able to do a lot of activities that help to burn off the fat. I know I am not as active as I would like to be due to the pain.

It's just a thought.

Grandma6
  7. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

I'm not fat, although some days I feel fat. I'm 5'8" and weigh 145. I would love to get down to 130, but that might be asking too much. I'm sure I could do it if I could exercise on a regular basis.
  8. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

No I'm not fat 5'7" 145 but I do have a thyroid issue. It's my experiance that FM does not play favorites. You can be young, old skinny fat or just right and you can still have FM! PS I think the term should be reubenesque there are different types of beauty. Lynn
  9. cbrogan6

cbrogan6 New Member

It's definitely easy to gain when you can't do a whole lot! I have actually lost weight in the last couple months, but I'm not as toned as I once was. I am 5'10 and 160 (I'm female) which is not overweight, but my body is not where I'd like it to be anymore. If only I felt like excercising....does typing count? :)
  10. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

on top of already being too big. Very sad.

Francie
  11. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I think I have had FMS most of my life. My story is much like CKK's. I was too thin much of my life, got married, had two babies and was then overweight. I lost 30 lbs. earlier this year and now weigh about 140 lbs. at 5'6".

My symptoms have done nothing but get worse this year.

I'm tempted to ask your friend to "'splain that"...(wink).
  12. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I was LMAO when I saw your post!!

I was always skinny but now I am fat.No-one in my family is fat and I know it is since I got fibro that I got fatter than I have ever been in my life!

I am at least 30 llbs overweight and I hate it ggrrrrrrr!
    I have tried to diet but it is hard as most will know so I have come to terms with it now.

I am like a rubenesque figure(is that what artists used to say about very curvy ladies?? lol)

To tired to excercise so I have learned to love myself!

Rena

13. JLH

JLH New Member

Tell your friend she needs to address medical issues more appropriately. Did she really mean: "do FMS and weight issues go hand in hand?"

I dislike the word "fat" immensely. Seriously. I am ALWAYS offended by that word.

To me, it is very, very offensive and should never be used.

I suppose you are "skinny"???????

I do not think FMS and weight issues are related. Some people do gain weight due to various meds they take; however, that also happens for meds taken for other illnesses.

Well, you can tell by my picture that yes, I am overweight. I had typed out the reasons why, but I have now gone back and deleted the reasons--seeing that I do not need to explain to anyone. I am who I am. Like it or not. And .. I do not like it myself. Can you tell?!!!!!

I don't know what PCOS stands for.

I don't think hormones play a factor in FMS.

14. dononagin

dononagin New Member

quite a bit of weight after I got sick.. I think a combination of not getting as much excersize due to fatigue and pain and I think it's human nature for a lot of people to eat for comfort when you feel bad.. I'm working on it and have lost 35 pounds in the last 6 months but still have about the same to go.. It's different for different people..
  15. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

gained weight when i got sick. It seemed there was something missing, I was always hungry, I ate to try to acquire energy. I was hungry for carbs and particularly grains, which I now know I am allergic to. Also, I wasn't as active as I was previously. But I became sicker and sicker, and got to the point where I didn't have energy to make food or even to chew it. wah. I got down to 119 (I am 5'7"). I am feeling a bit better now and am back up to a healthier weight of about 128. Because I have been both "fat" and thin, I would not wish to criticize either. Who would blame someone with cancer, who perhaps had chemo and steroids, for looking overweight? Of course no one would, so why should someone criticize someone with these awful illnesses. Your friend needs a little dose of the Golden Rule. Jen
  16. elsa

elsa New Member

Donna, ... you need to tell your friend to take a hike ... at the very least.

My weight has not changed more then a couple of pounds the entire time I have had CFS/FM.

I am 5'11" and wear either a size four or six depending on the designer/make of clothes.

I have always had a narrow frame and have always been athletic/active. FM hasn't changed much of that only the type of activity at the moment.

Fibro does effect the hormones ... several of them. With the thyroid, it is mostly hypothyroidism, not the opposite weight inducing direction.

Alot of the medications rx'ed do cause weight gain. You have to decide if the benefits are worth the weight gain they may produce.

Many members here have a problem keeping weight on, so the general idea that FM is a fat problem is ridiculous. I would really like to see your friend.

My body fat index is 13% ... I am female ... most men would kill for that index, let alone females.

If I have misread the situation, I apologize. If she didn't mean any harm by saying that and just curious, then I guess that's o.k. .... otherwise ... I'd like to get my hands on her on your behalf.

Take care,

Elsa

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2005]
  17. hartogold

hartogold New Member

Hi Donna;
    I'm not sure about the "fat" thing. I've lost over 110 pounds in since April of 2004, and my FMS/OA hasn't gotten better. I'm also more active and exercising regularly and that hasn't seemed to help either. Actually, many times I hurt worse afterwards.

I've heard that women tend to get FMS more because we have more fat cells than men and fat cells tend to store all sorts of "yucky toxins" unfortunately.

I know that as I was losing weight, I got cellulitis three times and my doc said a lot of it was because of the toxins being released from the fat cells. All I know is is was painful and gross...believe me..I have pictures to prove it. We thought I had been bitten by a brown recluse spider but it turns out they don't live in CA.

I still have about 40 pounds to go, but my pain continues and it's very frustrating. It drains my energy, causes mood swings and depression. I was diagnosed with bi-polar spectrum disorder awhile back. I'm about in the middle of the scale...not severe...but enough to be disruptive to my life and health.

This stuff is horrible and I empathize with all who are trying to learn how to live with it. It's nice to come here where people understand because I'm ashamed to say I have it with all the judgemental "doubting Thomases" in the world.

I also know many ladies who have FMS who are slim to average weight. Hopefully someone will be able to figure this out soon.
    Feel better soon,
    Sandy
  18. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Yes I think hormones are a big factor in FM compounded with the difficulty of exercising. But even though I have hormone problems and not able to exercise much, I lost about 10 lbs. on the Candida diet and am 5'5" at 105lbs., and also lost strength.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4
  19. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

We all know carrying around extra "weight" be it 10 or 100 lbs isnt good for any health reasons....

Some People who have FMS are over weight but also have brown eyes! Weight isnt the cure but a small factor.

The woman and men that I have met at group meetings are mostly at their weight or around 20 lbs over.

Many obese friends that I worked with never had any pains!
    But had other health problems they struggled with.

One of my doctors blamed my 40 lbs over weight being the cause of SOME of my pain- so I lost 50 lbs...and guess what-I had MORE pain after I lost the 50 lbs!...told him he was wrong and left him...

I would say if your over weight to lose it for other reasons besides pain.

jackson gavi (a once obese chubby!)
  20. lilione

lilione New Member

have been the same weight since I was married except for the weight of pregnancy. I'm 5'6' 123#. Hormones does play a big factor with FM though. I was first DX'd when starting perimenopause. I went on hormones for osteoporosis, and 4 months ago was abrutly taken off of them due to a stroke. I never had so much pain, and trying to rehab from the stroke besides. I never would have taken them, if I had known all this. The first, and natural time, my body did adjust, and I had a pretty good handle on my FM.
    Hormones Bah Hum Bug.
    P.S. Your friend needs to get a life. Lili