IS EXERCISE GOOD?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poopedout, Feb 1, 2006.

1. poopedout

poopedout New Member

Does exercising help????
  2. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I have been going to Curves for women for 1 year now. I have not only benefitted by losing 20lbs and 29inches but my muscles aren't as tight. I still have achy joints but I am not so stiff. I am really tired after I work out so I keep my workouts in the evening so I can just go home and rest. I go 3 times a week. There are somedays of course when the FM keeps me from going due to a flare, but I get right back as soon as possible. My Rhumey is happy I am going. I no that if I would stop then things would get worse. Last winter I had trouble getting up my basement steps this winter has been so much better.
  3. G.I.Jane

G.I.Jane New Member

Hi! I have found exercise to be like a magical elixir when I'm at the correct stage to do it, doing the right types for my condition (FMS), and doing the exercise correctly. Swimming and the elliptical machine, both non-impact sports, have both worked the best for me in the past, teamed with VERY low level weight lifting and stretching. There are lots of things you could do though, and finding something you love is the best. I used to do a few core-strengthening exercises after I got home from my swim, too, Pilates - and they helped a ton, too. Doing the wrong types of exercise made me feel horrrrrible. Jogging was big no-no, the impact was making me feel sick and I didn't know it, until one day in boredom I decided to hop on the elliptical next to me for something new and VOILA!!- Never felt sick after a workout again. I couldn't believe the impact had made such a nasty difference. I just found a fabulous book. It's tiny, like a little golden treasure box, and I'm so bummed it took me this long to discover it at Borders because it's just what I was looking for - advice on movement. It's 'Fibromyalgia: Simple Relief through Movement' by Stacie L. Bigelow. It suggests a slow & steady step process to increasing movement and it's working great for me since my chest muscle injury which has left me too weak to start at aerobic exercise. I hope you feel better, and good luck pursuing exercise, everyone here knows it's tough! J
  4. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

for several weeks. Its mostly stretching. Moved up to water arobics and love it! I stopped going for 6 wks and Im back to the constant pain . Started back at the YMCA Tues. and even though it wore me out, Im glad Im back.
  5. surfnut

surfnut New Member

Ywes. I think energy is essential to recovery. The hard part is guageing when you`re well enough to do it, and when to stop! Good luck
  6. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi....yes, for me exercise is wonderful....here are some benefits:

gets me out of the house, whether walking with the dogs or going to the gym (social contact is such a big problem for us)

improves my pain level, even if just for the time spent walking although usually it lasts longer than that

helps with the depression!! Many studies have shown that the endorphins produced with exercise help both mentally and physically. I have just stopped taking Cymbalta and am trying not to go back on an AD.

changes my focus from me, my pain and problems, to the beautiful weather, my dogs, or talking to someone else

lifts my mood always! I feel like I am more fit, more like a normal person, and just overall feel better about myself

in the summer I do warm-water exercise in an outdoor pool with the music cranked up...again, mood lifter and pain reducer!

while exercising, I listen to my favorite music...that always lifts me up, too

When I first got FMS (over 10 years ago), I was running 4-5 miles per day. I didn't understand the pain (and neither did the doctors), so I quit exercising. Wow...it wasn't long before I could barely walk!! So I started walking, and things improved. So although many days it is SO hard to kick myself out of the house, I never regret it. As someone else said, for me exercise is the key to maintaining a better life and getting better. Blessings to you...Ann
  7. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

I started doing 5 min walking every second day to start with and slowely built it up. I find after I have exercised I feel more alive and have more energy. it sure gets the body going. its tuff to get movitated to start with as we are so tired and full of pain, but with the exercise it srengthens those weak muscles.
    Good Luck.
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Generally speaking, if you have fibro, moderate exercise can certainly help. If you have CFS however, you need to be REALLY careful not to overdo, and that's easy to do when you have been resting a lot, feel better, then go out and give your all. If you do that, then you will make yourself worse. I find that if I go for a walk two days in a row for 15 mins, I become almost bedbound for days following. Do everything SLOWLY, rest frequently, or you could get much worse and stay that way. Marie
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, it is one of the ways to control fms - if you can physically do it. I can't right now because I have a pinched nerve in my back that goes into spasms.

It is suggested that you start walking a short distance and then increase your time as you are able. Water classes are another suggested good exercise because it's easier on the joints.

My rheumy tells me to do aerobics and get my heart rate up, but there is no way for me right now! I'm overweight, with a bad back, and that would just give me a heart attack (I have other heart problems, too).

10. poopedout

poopedout New Member

thanks so much,,i am going to get that book....i am afraid to exercise,,but now i will certainly start...
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

My pain levels shoot up if I slack off the exercising for too long. I alternate days between a 5-30 min walk, and light range of motion exercises in a chair. I do a walk around the house or yard before and after the chair exercises too. And I gage how I feel, if too weak then I skip a day or so, but not too long.

I have at one time had severe CFS and was too weak to even stand to brush my teeth, but these chair exercises w/ lots of deep breathing exercises got me out of bed and back on the road to recovery. I'm dx'd w/ both CFS and FM, but feel my symptoms are more FM now. I have much more activity and energy than before, just lots of pain still, though not to the point where I can't where clothes anymore.

Jeanne
  12. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I just started back in the gym and enjoy the workouts.It is the only time in my day that I don't worry about stuff.Which is why I got so addicted to it this past summer and ended up in the absolute worse flare ever.I have to make myself slow down.Exercise is good for the heart and for depression.I will do anything to help my depression and keep my heart pumping.

Just start out slow.Low impact cardio.Just a easy walk to start off with and increase only and I mean only when you feel you can.Don't push yourself.No pain no gain is bull.

My reheumy. told me and my daughter that exercise is gonna cause more pain but that is a pill we have to take for the sake of our heart and she is right.But when you are in the heat of a flare exercise is the last thing on your mind and should be.Never push when your body says stop.

Good luck,
    Sheila
  13. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I agree with Springrose22. I have FMS and CFIDS and I have not been able to exercise much without going into a flare. Studies show that exercise is beneficial in FMS, however, in CFIDS it may be different. I try to walk a little as often as I can, but I have to be very, very careful. I have read the following:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - A Report on New Research
    By Dr. Richard Burnet - senior endocrinologist at Royal Adelaide Hospital, Australia.

"Preliminary exercise on patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome shows an increased output of lactate (lactic acid) under controlled conditions in some (but not all). Lactate in excess can cause tissue damage as it is a highly acidic substance. Excess exercise in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, if it produces too much lactate can then become a self-perpetuating condition."

ALSO.....

The Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (another name for CFIDS) Society of America's website states:

"The defining characteristic of M.E. is that patients relapse with physical exertion and develop disease progression with continued physical exertion. If a patient improves with exercise, that patient does not have M.E. and may have some illness other than M.E. (for example, arthritis, depression, osteoporosis, and a number of medical conditions do improve with exercise)."

I hope this information is helpful. It certainly helps me see why I have such a difficult time whenever I try to exercise.

Blessings, Lolalee
  14. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

15. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Curious to know other experiences
  16. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

The responses to this one are really interesting to me. Thanks, poopedout, for posting it.

I have both CFS and FM, and I am a long-time exercise lover. When it was difficult for me to recover from exercise for the first time in my life, I f-r-e-a-k-e-d out because exercise is how I deal with almost anything that's wrong in my world.

I've had to learn to go slow. In the last 16 months I've gradually increased what I can do without paying for it by being stuck in bed for weeks at a time, but I still can't do anywhere near what I used to be able to.

There's no question in mind that exercise makes me feel better in every way. It lubricates my joints, strengthens my muscles, relaxes my mind, soothes my spirit. I just need to be very careful to take it easy the entire time so that I don't pay for all this fun for a week or more afterwards. I'm better off doing just a little bit each day.

I've also had good luck in the last year with building up my exercise tolerance extremely slowly. Maybe some day I'll be back to where I once was.

Now, if I had lots and lots to do physically and also exercised without being able to rest between activities, I'd collapse for sure. There's no way that I could do that for two days in a row.

[ advertisement ]