Is Fibrofog Funny?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Sep 16, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I can't decide. Somedays all I can do is laugh at the stupid things I do, other days I want to cry. I can't tell you how many times I've driven to the store, got all 3 kids out of the car, did all my shopping and put all of my stuff on checkout counter only to realize I don't have my wallet?
    Then I have to put all 3 kids back in the car, go home...
    Being newly diagnosed I am still relieved that it is Fobrofog and not early onset Alzhimers(just spent a few minutes to remembering that word). It's hard to think that at 37, this is what the rest of my life is going to be like, but I am working hard to find the humor I will need to get me through. Hope you all are felling well today.

Be good to yourselves!
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I can't decide. Somedays all I can do is laugh at the stupid things I do, other days I want to cry. I can't tell you how many times I've driven to the store, got all 3 kids out of the car, did all my shopping and put all of my stuff on checkout counter only to realize I don't have my wallet?
    Then I have to put all 3 kids back in the car, go home...
    Being newly diagnosed I am still relieved that it is Fobrofog and not early onset Alzhimers(just spent a few minutes to remembering that word). It's hard to think that at 37, this is what the rest of my life is going to be like, but I am working hard to find the humor I will need to get me through. Hope you all are felling well today.

Be good to yourselves!
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

a bit. I always check before I go out to make sure I have everything and I still leave something behind many times. It's good to laugh and getting upset is normal sometimes. Like when I couldn't remember where I left my rings. I go with out them most days now. I know we have sterted to drive off from places with out putting the things in the car and once one of of our then teen.

Thanks, Kim and Gary
  4. seaview

seaview New Member

is how I feel about it!I only have 3 years and 2 kids more than you and trust me... you make a choice whether you will spend your time angry and crying or accept the not so funny and usually frustrating things we do and just laugh. I educate my oldest 4 at home and trust me...many days I am having to look in the solutions manual for math stuff I do know how to do! Not just the stuff I still can't remember :)Please Marcia, do have lots of grace with yourself because the fatigue and pain are enough to drive us to our knees without letting our lack of memory(or fibrofog as some call it) be the icing on the cake. Make a list of stuff you need when you leave the house(put the children on the top of the list :) ) if this keeps happening so that you can just do a check off. Lists are my life! I forget all the time. This is really hard for someone who remembered EVERYTHING....just ask my husband. He is still trying to get use to the fact that I have changed. I use to rattle of names,numbers and so on without a thought. Now, I am happy for a thought! that was suppose to make you laugh. The honest truth is that I have been in a flare for some time now and each day is really hard but you do it. Somehow, with Gods good grace you make it through each day. So, feel the hugs of this mom to you and know that you are ok.
    Blessings, Kathleen
  5. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I am trying, and you are a great inspiration. 5 kids and home schooling! kudos to you, and thaks for the advice and warm thoughts!
  6. JannyW

JannyW New Member

Yes, it can be funny ...

A few weekends ago, we had torrential rains. My partner had just had knee replacement surgery and sent me out on errands. I went to Target, loaded up my cart & went off to the checkout. I pulled out my wallet to get my bank card. It wasn't there. I had left my purse in the car and it was in my purse. Okay ... I took everything off the counter, loaded in back in the cart & ran out in the pouring rain to get my card ... ran back in, unloaded the cart etc. etc. I was soaked to the skin & laughing hysterically ... I'm sure everyone thought I was completely wacko ... of course they were right :)

Jan ^v^

7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I kind of enjoy my fibro fog days. It's a good excuse for me to curl up in bed with my poodles and some good movies like "You've Got Mail", "Meet The Parents" or "Sleepless In Seattle"... It's a good opportunity to just kick back and relax all by my lonesome!!

Marilyn :)
  8. granmama

granmama New Member

....but,I do have a suggestion for you.
    There is a book I would encourage you to read. It is called "We Laughed We Cried" Life with Fibromyalgia.
    Compiled & edited by Kit Gardiser & Kathleen Kerry.
    Publisher: KMK ASSOCIATES, Palo Alto, CA.
    You will probably have to special order it, as I believe it is out of print. I ordered directly from the author/publisher. She told me you could get it through Amazon.com too.
    I get it out every few months and read it again to remind myself, we can laugh after the crying.

take care,
    granmama
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

well so far it hasn't been funny for me. it's been a huge nuisance. and sometimes scarey. i've been studying about some new herbs lately and it makes it hard to remember what i read. cindi
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

The fog used to scare me too, but either I just got so used to it or got educated about it, and the fear left. Now it's just a pleasant nuisance and I make the best of it and it passes. I know it can't kill me, so there's nothing to fear.

Marilyn :)
  11. tired42long

tired42long New Member

You're too funny! The toilet paper thing made me laugh...for me it is my HUSBAND that loads up on toilet paper. The kids and I laugh so hard when he comes in the door AGAIN with the tp. ANd yes...so many times putting things in the most unusual places or being so forgetfull. We just got a different van, this one with 2 doors in back. I am always forgetting to shut the one behind me. Thank God, I always catch it or the kids will---thatis pretty scary and not so funny. I also don't shop mcuh anymore, my husband has pretty much taken over this duty. So I make lists so I dont forget stuff. But, the poor guy is at the store almost every day. Our grocery bill is atrocious cause he always picks up so much more.

I just read your bio and you are an amazing woman. You and so many others on here are so inspiring. Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2002]
  12. Egraine

Egraine New Member

i go along with what most of the rest of the people say, ya gotta laugh becaus if ya don't, u cry! LOL of course i've done all the above, forgeting pocketbooks in stores, and i now have a single place to put car keys and such that i don't lose them at home..since i have lost them in all kind of places. onetime i was leaving on a trip and going frantic, calling my friends because i couldn't find my keys. about 45 minutes later my friend found my car keys in my trunk lock which was above my head! but i think i've got them all beat! this year i was planning my 39th birthday, as far as i knew i turned 38 the year b4, and had gone up one year every b'day b4...i was thinking then about the date i was going to change, 6-16-1962...and this is 2002...so somewhere in the past 10 years i lost an entire year of my life! i am now 40 years old. all in all i think it was a far easier way to turn 40! told my husband that i'm losing it, he said "past tense honey, u've lost it long ago!" keep on laughing! lol
  13. Egraine

Egraine New Member

hi,
    i'm new to the boards...i had to quit my job because i'm too handicapped to work so i have more time now (i also have APS an autoimmune disease which caused me to have a stroke at 27) it's kinda like lupus. anyhow, while looking thru to find a way where i could talk to u specifically, i looked at your bio and found that we both have the same b'day!
    one thing that i always try to remember is what albert einstein once said...or something like it...never try to memorize what can easily be looked up! if u have specific herbal recipes, make a notebook or binder for them so they can never be forgotten, they're always on hand. have other herbal books that list them alphabetically, and if necessary put notes in the margins...it works wonders! plus no one's got me beat, i lost a year of my life! it just disappeared, and that's one thing i won't be able to find behind the sofa! ya might as well take it (fibrofog)with a grin cause it's gonna happen anyhow! i hope this will help a little.
    Egraine
  14. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

is a royal pain in the butt! It really depends on how my day is going whether I laugh or cry. Mostly I laugh - you just can't help it. I forget things even though I've made out my list the night before, cuz I forget the darn list.

I'm also newly diagnosed, bummed about it, but learning day by day how to change things to make it more bearable.

15. herblady

herblady New Member

oh, i've got everything either in a book or my good stuff i make up written down. i just wish i didn't have to. well we improvise. cindi
  16. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I guess I COULD laugh, but I didn't! I got up the energy today for a doc appt., a uniform sale at my job, the grocery store and the pharmacy. I was so tired that I came home and just died!
    The problem???? I left the chicken and steak I bought in the back of the car all day!!!!!
  17. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I can relate to the meat issue. On a couple different occasions I have bought the family sized ground beef when it was on sale, only to forget to divide it up and had to throw the whole darn thing away...what a deal!
    I often get frustrated at work when someone asks me a question I should have an answer to, but it's no longer there. Thank God, I can remember the details that are important to my job, but I gave on the idea of becoming a critical care nurse, because my mind just does not absorb new info like it used to.
  18. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hey! I, too, am a nurse....longterm care is all I can do now. I'm not saying I don't have to use my brain; I do, but I don't have to think fast! lol
    Kady