Is FM an autoimmune disorder?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have read in a few places lately that it is.
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

In my opinion, FM is the result of chronic infection(s).

It is the chronic infection(s) that can ultimately cause autoimmune disorders or mimic them.
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

We need to think of fibromyalgia as a label given to people with widespread chronic pain. In that sense it is a symptom of an underlying problem/illness. Most evidence links many cases of FMS to ME/CFS or its underlying illness. (These are all just clinical labels). So many people diagnosed with FMS will have the same underlying illness that is ME/CFS. (It is because fibromyalgia is usually diagnosed by a Rheumatologist).

However there are some people who's fibromyalgia is clearly due to a different underlying illness, such as SLE (Lupus), MS, and there are those with Chiari Malformation which interferes with normal spinal signalling and again there are some who's spinal injury causes fibromyalgia.

As a psycho-immunologist I believe the cause of fibromyalgia in some people is primarily immunological. Certainly if you have been diagnosed as having ME/CFS and FMS then this is probably true for you. The evidence for this is now overwhelming but requires much analysis of the complex immunology involved. Aside from the cause, what appears to happen is that the immune system is activated by neuro-muscular events. Given that in some people chronic infection by virus or bacterium has the immune system in a state of perpetual activation. The immune system is in a state of low level inflammatory activity and is responsible for the molecules (cytokines and chemokines) which tell the nervous system to be reponsive to pain. Because of this the fibrous tissue never gets a chance to relax. (which it should during sleep).

This is why deep relaxation techniques can help reduce the pain levels ( a bit).
  4. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

there has been alot of debate over this topic and alot of research going on. I would suggest you google research on FMS and research it further as some researchers are speculationing in different areas such as our brain, nervous system, etc.
  5. neighbourhood

neighbourhood New Member

I question vaccines. the symptoms of post polio syndrome are so similar to fibro/cfs. Post polio syndrome appears years later, eg., 20 years after the person had polio. They had pain, fatigue, sleep apnea, scoliosis, depression, back and shoulder pain etc.

I'm also confused about the fact that relatives of fibro patients often have autoimmune problems. Maybe a couple of retroviruses interacting?