Is FM causing hands wrists to become weak?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by tammy21, Jul 16, 2006.

1. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

For a while now I have been getting weaker and slowely getting worse, that I am finding it very hard to open jar and bottle lids so ask husband or kids to do it for me.
    Does anyone else have this hassel and what if anything can be done about it.
    Thanks
    Take care

2. adirondackhoney

adirondackhoney New Member

welcome to my world,
    i'm told this is normal for "us"...
  3. TAM

TAM New Member

Hi Tammy21,

Yes the same thing happens to me also. I wish i had some helpful suggestions for you, but i have'nt found anything that makes me less weak, I sure wish i could help ya.

I just wanted to let you know your not alone sweetie, I really hope you find something that will help you very soon.

Take Care, Tammy.
  4. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I also have no strength, I can't lift no more than 5 pounds, this is all part of the Fibro. So, you are not alone with this problem. Take Care
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

As well as dropping things. The tiles in my kitchen are chipped where I have dropped things. Maybe if I get some paintmade for ceramics I can dab a little on there and they won't show as much.

Weak wrists and hands are a problem for me at school when I need to handle books. A freshman biology book is huge.
  6. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Sometimes they are weak. Right NOW my right hand is aching like a rip. I also have carpal tunnel in both wrists.

I never know if my pain is from the FM, arthritis, or carpal tunnel!

I ask for help opening stuff too now if I cannot get it open with my rubbery thing. (Cant remember what it called!)

What's newer for me is my ankles have gotten so weak.
    When I get out of bed in the morning or after sitting for a while, my feet an ankles hurt badly.

Sometimes wrapping them for support helps, just be carful not to get them too tight!

Take care!
  7. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

It is not fair what this DD is doing to us. it really makes you wonder what else is itgoing to do. I do not really mean to complain as there are worse people out there than me. but some days I get really frustrated.
    Take care everyone
  8. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

As I have stated on these boards, the powerful antibiotic "Levaquin" triggered all these same symptoms in me 7 months ago.

My wrist and hands hurt and are weak also. Ankles, achilles area and even muscle cramping in bottom of feet! Never ever had this until I tok this antibiotic Levaquin.

To think that there is no cure for all this is one of the saddest and most hopeless things I have ever had to face.

Why...WHY isn't our great country even doing anything to try to cure this? Or even acknowledge it happening to more and more people?
  9. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

the left arm and hand sometimes in the right, it depends how bad my FM symptos are
  10. Momofboyz

Momofboyz New Member

Yes, the first symptom I had was week ankles. I stood on tip toe to loo on top of fridge and almost colapsed. Then now my wrists. At Easter I couldn't even stir my potatoe salad. My arms are so week.
    Someone just mentioned Levaquin?????????? Oh my gosh! I had a swollen lymph node with night sweats and low grade fevers. Had the biopsy which was benign then doc put me on Levaquin. That is about the EXACT same time the ankles started. Then the pain began moving from one area to the next. I could close me eyes and name the movement....right leg, left hand, hip ect.
    I have NEVER heard this could be from Levaquin.
    Please, anymore advise on this????
    Deena
  11. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

I used to be quite strong for my size and build, and now I feel so weak, it is very frustrating.
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i think every woman should have one..i have because, fm, carple tunnle, tennis elbow, and cervical pain...

i am divorced and now live in man...besides my 16 yr. son, i can't wait for him to come home...sometimes i can't even open a bottled water...

jodie
  13. Santafemimi

Santafemimi New Member

I a glad to see that I am not alone with these symptoms. I have been experiencing the weakness in both hands and wrists for many months. We have even replced the door knobs in our home with the French handle style, as I don't have to grip and twist them. My feet and ankles hurt and are sore every night, and my feet "fall" asleep during the day.

Just more things to add to the already lengthy list.

Take care everyone!
  14. jjdg

jjdg New Member

i also have had the same stuff hands ,feet, ankles,i mention it and the doc he just blames my diabetes,i agree it doesn't help but i'm soooo sick of hearing it i hadthe pain and junk waaayyy before i got diabetes.i also get those damed charly horses so bad i cry.

jjdg
  15. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

sorry no solutions from me but just let you know you are not alone.I have the hands, weakness, ankles and throw in a knee...

But on the bright side I have a great personality!! Ok a joke..gotta find something to smile about or will go crazy!!

you are not alone my dear!!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2006]
  16. tammy21

tammy21 New Member

over years and years with the weakness getting worse does anyone know if it could get to the stage of us not being able to use our hands in a lot of different ways and in some peoples cases ankles and knees to hold us up? it is quite a worrying thought.

Tammy
  17. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Last night I lifted something too heavy and I felt my wrist go. It throbbed all night, extremely painful. My husband says I should go to the Dr.

I have a couple of wrist braces and I find that if I have them on for a couple of nights, it settles down. Last night was different though. I had numbness in my thumb and first two fingers. It probably could be carpal tunnel also.

I'm a programmer, so I'm on the computer a lot. That probably doesn't help.

Regards,

Eileen

18. tejanya

tejanya New Member

i use a brace that goes over the hand and wrist. it helps reat the hand and wrist, all the way to the elbow. i use a tennis elbow brace for that. i have been using this for several years and it does work. no i do not have carpal tunnel, just weak wrist. i have wore them to sleep in. or been woke up with numbness or pain, put on the brace and slept good. i also use one for my leg that fits over the foot up to the calf. it braces the ankle or foot and once again helps.
    this is good to know when the weather changes or just life gets stressful or we over do.
    God Bless.
  19. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I don't have it every day but yes there are days when my kids need to open up even a soda bottle for me. At the begining I was so week some times that my 20 year old son had to flick my lighter for me just so I could have a smoke. I haven't found any relief and it never lets up. Just that some days are worse then others. This week has been pretty good and I've been able to put my input on this site this week. lol. All I do know is that it is not arthritis or carpel tunnel (sp). Just another one of those nice little side effects. My hands also shake sometimes when i'm holding the phone. Happened just tonight while talking to my mom. And they say that this is not a progressive syndrom. I do believe that even the doctors that recognize Fibro and CFS don't know everything.....SueF
  20. tejanya

tejanya New Member

get you some braces. ask about what type is available. mine does not hurt all the time, but enough that i am on my 3rd set (over 8 years). people look at me funny when i tell the reason for them. but others that have used the braces understand. it works. and when you have them on others immediately see you are trying but need some help.