Is FM Contageous?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kellyslaw, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I am being sarcastic. I know it is not contageous. I just need to vent. Since I have told my family that I have FM, my mom says that she has it and my older sister says that she has it. It is wierd that niether of them said a word before I was dx last Friday. Actually, my mom told my sisters. My mom still has not called me. I feel so alone. My dh does not want to hear about it, and when I start to tell him how bad I feel, he just walks away. I am scared and really need to talk to someone who understands. I woke-up again this morning at 3:00 a.m. because I feel so stressed out. I have only known for 2 days. This is going to be a long, lonely life.

Thanks for any comments,
    Kelly
  2. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I know I sound really negitive, but I feel so aweful. What did you do that helped. I have been taking meds, resting, taking vitamins and I have a very strict diet. What really works?

Hugs,
    K
  3. ksl25

ksl25 New Member

hi,

you really have to talk to a counselor. you're dh may not know what to say or how to deal with it right now. those are his issues. you need to find a 3rd party so you can talk it out. it will make it easier to talk to friends and family too.
    try some deep slow breathes to stay calm and it will ease a lot of your stress=pain=stress=pain. good luck! i'm really looking forward to my therapy session tomorrow.
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

One thing that I can say is, you will not feel alone HERE. I felt the same way and since this illness does not show alot of outward symptoms, ppl. just do not understand or see how much we suffer and we seem to be big complainers sometimes.

Anyway.. glad you found us, this site has been a HUGE SUPPORT SYSTEM for me. Oh.... and (LOL) MY friend thinks she has it now too.... after I was diagnosed... she thought she should diagnose herself. I guess we will run into that now and then.
    Hugs
    Kim
  5. footballmom

footballmom New Member

I remember when I got diagnosed. It was a long road to get there. I saw many doctors. Had waht I feel was unnecessary surgeries and lost good jobs. I was DX on March 23, 2006. I'll never forget the day. It was a bittersweet moment. I finally had a name for waht was wrong with me. I came home and searched the internet for answers, always hoping that I would find the miracle cure.

I told my husband about what I had learned about Fibrmyalgia. He wasn't very supportive. He had never heard about it before. I printed stuff off the computer to give to my kids to try and explain what I was going through (my kids are older, some in college, some married) it really didn't make much of an impact. The most discouraging was when I told my mom. I explained what information I had. Her response was, well I have those symptoms too. A few weeks later she says to me .....what is it that your doctor CLAIMS you have.....in a very sarcatic manner.

It's been about a year and this is what I've learned and done to help ME. I keep explaining it too my husband. He's come around. He talks with my kids about it and tries to make them understand. He reads more about FMS and CFS than I ever expected. My mom, I know longer speak to her (not that I suggest this route to anyone else) She causes me a great deal of stress. Not just because of her not understanding about FMS but the way she trys to be so controlling. I have decided that I will not allow extra stress in my life.

Here are my four components to get me through. Get good rest, I need to use a cpap machine; take meds that are prescribed (this includes a tens machine.); try and exercise (this is the hard one for me but I try to walk and stretch a bit each day) Reduce stress as much as possible. Understanding that you can't get rid of all of it.

I'm just coming out of a bad flare. I'm trying to return to work. Not sure how that will work. My doctor doesn't think I should work if I can't do the things I need to do to keep a home and take care of a family. I agree but I have to try , just one more time.

I wish you well. Knowledge is power. Learn everything you can.

Tess
  6. lnw3602

lnw3602 New Member

I was on the phone with my aunt this morning explaining what was going on with me. She then began to pick out symptoms and said she probably has it too. (Although, her knees hurt because she fell, her hip hurts because she threw it out) In other words, she had reasons for her aches and pains. I just smiled when she said she probably had it too. I actually don't tell people I have it because it is to difficult to describe with out somebody saying they have that too.

7. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Many take long term antibiotics and have no more symptoms. So, no, FM is not contagious nor is CFIDS/M.E. I've been a "germ freak" all my life...maybe if I had shared germs even with my family I'd be resistant to more infections. lol

Oh, and I don't have EBV or Mycoplasma...sort of wish I had mycoplasma and got it over with...

Warmly,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  8. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

That's actually the first question someone asked me when I got sick last year. Needless to say, I was less than thrilled.

Other people can't understand these illnesses at all. I've only told two people outside of my family since I got sick, and already one of them has told two of her friends.

It's aggrivating, to say the least, and I think fm is really underrated. It's hard to even get through a single day.
  9. michele3322

michele3322 New Member

I sure feel for you! I have been sick for over 3 years now,lupus,fm,raynunds and I have disc problem in my back. It has been a long hard road,I have just recently lost a best freind of 20yrs over this. Thank god for my husband and this board that I just found. READ READ READ,it is also helpful. You are not alone!! But you do feel that way alot. Find the best DR you can,that is very important belive me I went through alot before I found the one I have now. Some days will be better than others .
  10. winsomme

winsomme New Member

another treatment for mycoplasma is the marshall protocol.

do a search here or google it and you will find lots of info.

let me know if you have any trouble.

thanks
    bill
  11. FlossNG8r

FlossNG8r New Member

You took the words right out of my mouth!

I, too, don't tell many people that I have this. The immediate response is one of doubt. FM has been so misdiagnosed over the years, that lots of people think of it as a "garbage can" diagnosis. Most of the time, I just don't have the energy to educate/explain.

Hang in there Kellyslaw....once the newness of your diagnosis wears off, you will realize that you are not alone and you just have to shrug off peoples misconceptions about FM. AND, you will be far from lonley. Look around you at all the great people on this site who understand EXACTALLY what you are going through. I'm sorry you have been diagnosed with FM, and are struggling right now. There will be better days for you....I promise. :)

Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2007]