Is FM generally more common in older people?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by isiselixir, Jul 24, 2009.

1. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

My Mom made a comment about fibromyalgia being less common with younger people. Was that an ignorant statement? I don't have it, I have CFS, but I am curious now. If you have FM, can you please share your age? Also what does everyone think about the age factor and FM? True or untrue?
  2. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

However, FM and CFS tends to afflict mainly women in their 40's or between 30-50yo(onset). It's not a disease of the young nor is it a disease of the old although it can be to a much lesser degree. It seems to strike healthy adults at the "prime of their life". I got this from all the CFS books and CDC epedimiological studies. It does seem age or middle age is a factor.
  3. nixon

nixon New Member

Symptoms started when I was about 33-34. Although I know of younger folks that DO have it. But, I'd also have to agree with the previous reply too !!
  4. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I was diagnosed when I was approx. 36 with FM. Had what my doc called a "relapse" in 2007, though I think thats when I had gotten CFS on top of it.

Before 2007, I was able to somewhat function. Now, I am homebound.
  5. Diagnosed at age 22, my sister was diagnosed either early this yr, or late last yr, so, age 32, for her. Mom was diagnosed very shortly after her hysterectomy for endometrial cancer, so 47-49 yrs old for her, she just turned 61.

Mom's 'baby' sister, dx'd mid 40's... mom's older sister, mid 50's, brother (he still said he doesn't have it, and acts like you just asked him if he had SCABIES, not fibro.) but, I know he was dx'd or it was at least mentioned to him, in his 40s. His son, like me, was told he probably has it, in his 20's, along with Parkinson's (after 5 yrs of tx for PD, they said he does NOT have PD, it's his seizure disorder (which is TERRIBLE)

My dad's sister, again, diagnosed in her 40's (shortly after car accident that left her with SEVERE whiplash)..

Everyone who is diagnosed, though- had SYMPTOMS, usually for many years, some, nearly their whole lives, they just got 'worse & worse' until ability to work was just impossible (one aunt- it was RA that crippled her, very early on, not fibro..)

I don't think it's age, so much as the *time* as in 80's, 90's, 2000's-

My grandmother had it(died in 1978, age 59)- but, she was diagnosed with 'myositis' and 'myalgia' back then, among other things. (She died of CHF, as a complication of diabetes).

My mom & her siblings, remember their mother being in bed 'all the time', until it was time for my grandfather to get home, then she'd get up & make dinner. (beans... ALWAYS. they had 6 children that lived, and truly were "DIRT poor") They resented her for it, (what child wouldn't, at some certain ages, at least) but, later felt *sick* about that, realizing her mother was ILL.

Anyhow, you have symptoms, at least, in my family, ranging from early teens, to 30's/40's and diagnosis, from 22- mid 50's or so..

The age of diagnosis for MS used to be 20-40, but, they've come to realize, you don't HAVE to be that age group to have it. It would make you(you = people in general) cry to know how many children, have since been diagnosed... Also, men and women alike, diagnosed in their 50's +

Don't know if it's a person's chronological age, or if it's the 'age' of medicine we live in.