is FM hereditary?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynncats, Jul 20, 2009.

1. lynncats

lynncats New Member

does anyone know if FM is hereditary (sp?). I know a woman who's mother has FM, and she is so worried that she may end up with it. I too have FM, but I didn't know how to answer her question. Thanks in advance.

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2009]
  2. banya

banya New Member

I haven't heard that they found a cause for this yet; so that question is difficult to answer. I was going to say that no one has identified a gene for this yet - but I'm not even sure that's true anymore. My current doctor specializes in infectious diseases and he says that FM is an infectious disease. He's found a bug that's common in FM patients (it isn't one of the ones discussed on this board) it's a new one - and he's found the genetic marker for it. I didn't test positive for his new bug - but he's pretty sure I will eventually. I have to laugh; as I believe someone on the board just referred to the bug of the month - and maybe this one too will lose it's fame come August.

My kids also worry they're going to end up like me. I wish I could assure them they won't. Depending on which doctor I see - I have a "likely" mitochondrial disease (which of course they certainly could inherit) OR I have an infectious disease (FM) -well obviously they would still have reason to be concerned. I often feel like I should just hunt down yet another diagnosis - one that would leave the kids out of it, right?

3. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I was dx with FM more than 30 years ago. A couple of years ago my son received his own diagnoses.

My grandparents raised me and I remember my grandmother suffering with her "rheumatism". From the description of her symptoms it sure sounded like what I have.

We'll probably never know since they can't pinpoint a definative gene that's caused this misery.

4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

One reason that FM and CFS can appear to be hereditary, is that the cause of the illness could be tick borne diseases.

Not only is more than one family member often affected since they live in the same areas, but tick borne diseases can also be transmitted from mother to fetus, through breastfeeding, through sexual contact and blood transfusions.

It is likely that the cause of these illnesses is infectious. Testing for tick borne diseases is not very accurate. They are actually clinical diagnoses based on history and symptoms.

Many people do not remember a tick bite or a rash.

Tick borne diseases such as Lyme, babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia and others, should never be ruled out based on just a negative lab test.

If I can help you further, you may post for me on the Lyme board anytime.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2009]
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I wish I knew if it was or not. My daughter is only 12 and she worries that she will
    have it at some point. I try to reassure her but when we don't know it's hard.

No one in my family has ever come forward to say that they have had FM,
    but I still think it's a possibility.

Gentle hugs, Pansy (susan)
  6. loto

loto Member

that it can be hereditary if anyone in your family has rhemetoid arthritis. I have FM, and an aunt of mine has RA. Who knows, there's so many theories out there!
    I'm still wanting to know if I have Lyme Disease. The doctor I went to in June for a 2nd opinion made me feel so stupid that I haven't attempted to go for a 3rd opinion.
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I am sorry that the Dr you saw in June made you feel stupid.

Most of us have probably experienced this also.

I had 3 Dr's tell me I didn't have Lyme. My PCP literally laughed at me and argued with me. I did my research and I knew better.

My Lyme literate MD is so wonderful.

If I can help you, post for me on the Lyme board anytime, or go to's Medical Questions board and Seeking a Doctor board.
  8. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

It's sort of like how in multiple sclerosis, some people have that genetic predisposition to it, and then if/when something traumatic happens, it gets triggered into motion? Fibromyalgia can work like that, too. Unfortunately. So this woman may indeed be at an increased risk, just like with most illnesses with a family history.

A ton of studies point to a genetic component, and most of them show that FM runs in families the majority of the time. Google "Fibromyalgia genetic component" and you can get some good stuff. =)

Personally, my grandmother has it, my mother has it, and I have it. Osteoarthritis triggered my grandmother's, a viral infection triggered my mother's, and getting another illness triggered mine.
  9. andreake

andreake New Member

I don't know if it is a coincidence, but my sister also has it.