Is FM hiredetry

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dolly_garth, Nov 6, 2002.

1. dolly_garth

dolly_garth New Member

Could anyone out there tell me if FM is hiredetry. Sorry can't spell! I'm worried that my daughter also has FM. She is 15 years old, and has suffered with her back and legs for a couple of years now, all the doctors say is to give her pain killers. My mum suffers with her muscles and joints. I guess some of that can be put down to old age. She'll be 70 in April. My mothers brothers and sisters havn't been diagnosed with FM, but a few of them have had a lot of the symptoms but just go on, like good little soldiers, no matter how much pain theyr'e in. As for my brother, he has motor neurone disease, My great aunt had parkinsons disease. and i have FM. Does anyone know if there could be some kind of conection? or are we just a very sicky family? I'd hate for my daughter to suffer the pain i go through, sometimes it takes me all my time to get in and out of the bath. At the risk of depressing everyone further Does anyone suffer with a tingling feeling all down their arm from the shoulder to the tip of the fingers. Is this normal? As i'm new to this, could someone please help.I'm sure it's not a trapped nerve like the G.P says. It keeps coming back. Yours Truley. Dolly G.
  2. dolly_garth

dolly_garth New Member

Could anyone out there tell me if FM is hiredetry. Sorry can't spell! I'm worried that my daughter also has FM. She is 15 years old, and has suffered with her back and legs for a couple of years now, all the doctors say is to give her pain killers. My mum suffers with her muscles and joints. I guess some of that can be put down to old age. She'll be 70 in April. My mothers brothers and sisters havn't been diagnosed with FM, but a few of them have had a lot of the symptoms but just go on, like good little soldiers, no matter how much pain theyr'e in. As for my brother, he has motor neurone disease, My great aunt had parkinsons disease. and i have FM. Does anyone know if there could be some kind of conection? or are we just a very sicky family? I'd hate for my daughter to suffer the pain i go through, sometimes it takes me all my time to get in and out of the bath. At the risk of depressing everyone further Does anyone suffer with a tingling feeling all down their arm from the shoulder to the tip of the fingers. Is this normal? As i'm new to this, could someone please help.I'm sure it's not a trapped nerve like the G.P says. It keeps coming back. Yours Truley. Dolly G.
  3. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My mother had it but was DX but by reading her med records, she had same things I do. A Fibro Doc told me that it is hereitery but sometimes takes a trauma or injury to bring it out.
    Carlacat
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mother had FMS, I have FMS and CFS, and both my daughters have FMS. It does seem to run in families which suggests some type of genetic propensity. This is reinforced by the statistics which show a 4 to 1 ratio of women to men with FMS, although many more men may actually have FMS than is known.

See the doc about the tingling. Have you been tested for MS? Many of us have numbness and tingling and it doesn't mean we have MS, but it should have been ruled out.

It could also be some type of nerve problem, possibly caused by tendon inflamation. Any new symptoms should be checked out.

Love, Mikie
  5. dolly_garth

dolly_garth New Member

Thank-you for you'r prompt reply.I just don't know how i'll find the strength, to help my daughter as well. My poor hubby of 18 months will be divorcing me at this rate. My poor daughter has such a long life in front of her. How do you cope?
    love Dolly G
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have Cfs and Fms.....my sister has all the symptoms of Cfs, but has not been diagnosed. She's an RN, and avoids doctors outside of work, lol. I have two daughters and two sons, so far none of them has what appears to be either. However, my oldest daughter does have some of the chronic health issues I faced when younger, and in my case seemed to add up over the years, like the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back. Yes, Dolly, my right shoulder, arm, and hand tingles. Sometimes it feels like an electrical fire.
    karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2002]
  7. RoseTx

RoseTx New Member

I have a sister and her daughter and a cousin that have all the symptoms. My cousin is dxed with FM/CF. I am dxed with FM/CMPS. My sister and her daughter are still being misdignosed and won't even mention to their doc that I have FM. My family lives in the State Of Denial. They would rather accept other's opinions that they are lazy or crazy. My mother was sick as long as I can remember. I immigine that she may have had FM??? Hope this helps. Hugs, Rose
  8. pamelasng

pamelasng New Member

Hi Dolly, I have FM, CFS,and MPS,both my daughters were born with FM, they had the symptoms years before being diagnosed, their ages are 15 and 16. Life is not kind to them but they know we have to get around it the best we can,sometimes we have a good cry ect, then make the most of things.My 15 yr old recently joined the message board and it was the best thing she could have done because somedays I find it just too hard with my own pain to take the time with her, I love my children dearly but sometimes I just switch off partly from F fog but sometimes to remain sane.I do find the best thing to do is to take one day at a time and focus on good happy things as much as possible this kind of gives the pain balance.We had pain management lessons, this helps to understand whats going on with the body and work around situations that will most likely cause problems,like when your sitting put a pillow under your arms to stop the drag you get on your shoulders, when writing use a slopeing desk. Both the girls understand visulization therapy as an aid to pain control. I feel the best thing to do is to get your daughter to a good Dr and if she does have it, just go from there,she is always welcome to email my girls if it would help,just let me know. I really wish you the best of luck .....Pamela S.
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

99% sure that my Mother has it (un diagnosed), her sister has cfs, I have cfs/fms.
    My sister has alot of the symptoms, I am just praying that my girls don't get it.

Lease