IS FM INHERITED??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pirtpain, Apr 12, 2006.

1. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

Does anyone know of or have a sibling that also has FM? My sister has developed alot of pain in her neck and back and some fatigue. Is it possible to also have FM??

PIRT
  2. Greeneyes2

Greeneyes2 New Member

my sister and my mother both have been dx with fms, and I think my daughter is starting to show signs of this DD.

I think there is a family link to fms.

I hope your sister and my daughter don't have it.

Gentle hugs,
    Denise
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  3. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

My Dr said indications are pointing towards a genetic predisposition so I think that means yes you can be genetically susceptable. Lynn
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are genetically predisposed to our illnesses and that triggers, such as trauma, stress, toxins, childbirth, etc., can bring on our illnesses. Some of us have recovered from triggers but after a number of them, our illnesses have come on full blown.

My CFIDS was triggered full blown by a mycoplasma infection on Dec. 24, 1990. My FMS was triggered full blown following an auto accident about six years ago. Still, in retrospect, I can see clear back into childhood that there were hints of things to come.

How sick we get, how our illnesses manifest themselves, whether we can recover, may all depend on the number of defective genes plus the triggering events. Right now, no one knows but the evidence definitely points to a genetic prediposition.

My grandmother had something and died at a young age of a heart attack. She was always stressed out and tired, according to my Mom. Also, she didn't hug and touch, a common indicator of sensory overload. My Mom definitely had FMS with one very bad flare from which she partially recovered. I have CFIDS and FMS and both my daughters have FMS. We have cousins with various immune illnesses.

This may actually be good news because eventually, they will get around to looking at the genomes for our illnesses. That may lead to treatments or even a cure.

Love, Mikie
  5. sop28

sop28 New Member

my mother and my aunt both have it. So far science hasen't proven it, but it looks like there may be a genetic predisposition to it.

Tammy
  6. mom4three

mom4three New Member

My Neurologist, My Do and my Rheumy have all said yes it is.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but my mother has it...and my sister is 31 yrs. and has been complaining of the same things...

jodie
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

My mother and sister both have it.
  9. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

Thanks so much for the feedback on this subject even though I hate the thought that my sis would be getting this DD. THANKS!!
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

Well not in my family that anyone else has it.......but there was a lot of RA and such....

Maybe they had it and they also had pain from RA and it was not DXed?

I feel now, looking back....that I was prediposed for this.
  11. scrap4fun

scrap4fun New Member

I have 5 cousins and an aunt with FM and now I think my son has it. (BIG Bummer!)

Co
  12. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

My Grandfather, father, aunt, and now my brother is showing symptoms. My doc also says it appears to be genetic.

Sofi
  13. cathugs

cathugs New Member

My son's Dr. told him that he was sure that he had it.
    My son is forty. He has complained of muscle and joint pain and stiffness for several years.
    I saw him on Monday night. He was "thanking me"
    for passing on this dd. to him. (lol) I tried to get him
    to let me check his trigger points but he wouldn't let me near him. He said "Stay away from me"!
    I think my daughter(43) and my sister(46) have this
    also but have never been dxed.
    no "trigger point" hugs from: cathugs
  14. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have, it I'm pretty sure my Mum has it, my aunt has dx of CFS, & my 9 year old daughter is showing alot of signs of FMS :(
  15. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i think it's inherited.
    from what i see on the board,
    alot of people have relatives or children that have it,
    and me and my mom both have it.

i don't think that just 'cause someone else has it
    means that you're definitely going to get it.
    i just think that it's written genetically so it's easier for us TO get it.
    especially if we go through a trauma or a bad illness.
  16. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I recently found out that 2 of my aunts had it.

Sue in Ontario