Is FM or CFS heritary? Will it show up in our children?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mastersinger, Feb 6, 2003.

1. mastersinger

mastersinger New Member

What kind of a chance do our children-mine are young adults-have of getting FM or CFS? Is it heritary at all? Thanks for your reply. Mastersinger
  2. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

There are a lot of people I hear of who have many family members w/these illnesses. I have two boys 8&4 who are healthy. I am the only person in my family with any kind of illness. My parents, aunts,uncles,grandparents etc.. are all healthy.
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

how my daughter now had FM too. It was my last appointment actually. He
    said he believes it probably happened
    invitro sp?. She did have what we all
    used to call "growing pains" in her
    legs and back when she was little but
    the doctors didn't take it seriously
    so I was appeased. But then, she has
    Scoliosis, which I did find and kept
    telling the doctors and they kept saying she didn't. Then in about 6th
    grade a school nurse found it and made an appointment for her at Children's Hospital where it was said
    she had a 13% curvature. NOone in the
    family on either side has it and it too is supposed to be hereditary. She
    was a breech baby, which may have had
    "some"thing to do with that. I think
    my husband has FM, the beginning of it at least though he is still denying the extent of his pain. He was just diagnosed a year ago with
    Diabetes II also...now covered by
    Va Disability if you served in country in Vietnam, they know Agent
    Orange caused it to come out in the
    vets now. So..I wonder if I also got
    the FM micoplasms from HIM in the first place? Curioser and curioser.
    It will be great when they really figure all this out if they ever do!
    Hugs, Bambi
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Plus, if your illness was triggered by an infection, it's possible to transfer it to family members when the infection is in the active stage.

My Mom had FMS, I have CFS/FMS and both my daughters have FMS.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know the 02/07/03 11:11 AM

*REAL* answer to that but I have 2 other family members with FMS, one is my mother. Her doc said often several family members will have it. I don't know if it's all coincidence or not. The 3 of us in my family with this dx have all had multiple surgeries and other health problems, which are different for all of us, so I don't know if I believe that it's hereditary or if it's just the result of all our individual histories.

Karen

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Mastersinger,

Be sure to just click on Post Message once. Each time you click on it, it produces another post. Thanks :)

Love, Mikie

It probably can be inherited 02/07/03 08:45 AM

There seems to be a genetic predisposition. My mom and dad have it, then me and then my 2 childrem:{

BACK | REPLY - EDIT - DELETE - BAN

klutzo
    (1018)

From all the stuff I've read..... 02/07/03 09:26 AM

The consensus so far seems to be that FMS is inherited in an autosomal dominant manner, meaning any female child has a 50% chance of developing it sometime in her life. I don't know about male kids. CFS is mildly contagious, rather than inherited, with 2/3 of close associates developing blood markers for it within 10 yrs. of exposure. Of course, all this could be proven wrong tomorrow.
    Klutzo

7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have FMS and my identical twin sister does not. I don't know if it is hereditary, but this makes me wonder. We do have the same genes.

Annette2