Is FMS and upset stomach related?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diggity, Sep 24, 2002.

1. diggity

diggity New Member

I am having trouble with upset stomach. It seems everytime I eat anything, no matter how much or little, my stomach gets very upset. I have taken Maalox, Rolaids, etc. and they really are of no help. Another thing is that even when I eat a large meal and know that I have to be full my stomach still has what feels like hunger pains. So what ends up happening is that I feel sick from feeling like I've eaten too much, yet my stomach is still sending out the hunger pain signals. Have any of you had this kind of problem? Is it related to FMS?
  2. diggity

diggity New Member

I am having trouble with upset stomach. It seems everytime I eat anything, no matter how much or little, my stomach gets very upset. I have taken Maalox, Rolaids, etc. and they really are of no help. Another thing is that even when I eat a large meal and know that I have to be full my stomach still has what feels like hunger pains. So what ends up happening is that I feel sick from feeling like I've eaten too much, yet my stomach is still sending out the hunger pain signals. Have any of you had this kind of problem? Is it related to FMS?
  3. herblady

herblady New Member

i'm not sure if it's related but a lot of us have stomach problems. your problem sounds like not enough stomach acid. one thing you can do about it is not drink liquids with your meals, or very little of them. they sell betaine hydrochloride tablets, which are stomach acid, but i would save that for a last resort. two things that could help are digestive enzymes and 1/2 hour before you eat take 1 teaspoon angostura bitters. it stimulates stomach acid and the whole digestive process. cindi
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2002]
  4. diggity

diggity New Member

where do I find the things that you are suggesting? I have also been diagnosed with sjogrens syndrome which they tell me means that I don't have enough fluids in my eyes, mouth, etc. I wonder if that might be a factor in my stomach problems since you say it sounds as if I don't have enough stomach acid?
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have the same problem on and off. I had it pretty steady for a few months and now it's let up. Don't know what caused it, but do know that's one of the symptoms of peri-menopause, which starts in our 30's. I often wake up at night feeling VERY nauseous, but never throw up, thank God! I keep a bottle of water and soda crackers on my nightstand for these episodes. I remember using them through my pregnancies when I had horrible nausea that lasted months! I was so busy throwing up that the most weight I ever gained with a baby was 25 lbs.

Marilyn :)
  6. alomasp

alomasp New Member

have been recently dx. with fms. always had trouble with upset stomach,gas bloating,then along came severe heartburn! finally dr. did an upper g.i. ah-ha,found i had a hiateal herina. awful!! take nexium ,works wonders!!maybe related to fms,seems all this other weird stuff is(for me).worth checking in to.
    alomasp