is fms &cfs a western disease only?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sssupermom, Jul 17, 2003.

1. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

Do people from the east have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome too or is it just us? also how about europe is it as prevalent as here? anyone know?
  2. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

I know someone in Spain that has fibromyalgia, and there's a big website over there for people who have it. So it seems just as prevalent there too. Her doctor diagnosed her with fibromyalgia and she is being treated with the same types of medications that are associated with treatment in the US.
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

probably exists in third world countries too but unlikely to be recognised or diagnosed.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2003]
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

We have many members from all over Europe here, we also had one person, that I remember from Japan, and a few from the Middle East also.

I believe this is worldwide, will see if I can find any stats on it and will post for you. I would think that Third World countries would not have a head count on this, yet.

I know that Israel has been doing some intensive study of FM/CFS, the last I read they were working on a blood test to identify FM. Germany has also been busy with research on both.

We are not alone with this one..............

Shalom, Shirl

5. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

I mean not good that they are sick..but that other countries are doing research.

Spain-wow I did not know. Do you know what is the name of it in spain? mother in law is from there and she does not believe I am sick or even exists. It would hlep to have a name to give her.
  6. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

Ssupermom

Show your mother-in-law printouts from the Web on FM. I've done that before. I had the same problem with mine, and it didn't help my husband's view of me. But then, that was way before it was even being diagnosed here. When I got a diagnosis, she backed down. By then, of course, it was much too late. Her damage had been done.

JoAnn
  7. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

In Spain, it's called the same thing...fibromyalgia...but with Spanish pronunciation. I'm not sure if it's spelled the same way.
  8. sssupermom

sssupermom New Member

Are there any asians that are sick with this? even american-asians? I just wonder how their medicine would handle it
  9. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I think they even have a higher prevalence of CFS than the US. Maybe their doctors were/are more willing to recognize it.
  10. coping1961

coping1961 New Member