Is Global Warming real? How about some Facts before we decide

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JimB51, Jan 6, 2010.

1. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Remember when people went nuts about how man was responsible for the hole in the Ozone?
    (It closed up several years ago (as it always does) but the news media just didn't mention it anymore). They and some politicians have now moved on to "Global Warming".
    Might want to check out these facts. (cleaning up air polution is one thing. Global Warming is something else). Jim
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I will have to respectfully disagree. There is lots of science to back up the fact that there is global warming, and I think it is scary.

There is a website which I will have to edit here later, that shows the scientific evidence.

Take care.

ETA The "climategate" never happened. It was several emails that were taken out of context.[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2010]

The site I mentioned is [This Message was Edited on 01/07/2010]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

from what I've read... we may be warming but it may lead to the opposite, to a mini ice age, if the melted arctic waters cool off the gulf stream.

On a related subject, how does the el nino factor into any of it, and why is it causing a colder winter in N. America just because it's so far out into the Pacific (near the dateline), rather than closer to the CA/MX coast?

any pointers to good explanations of weather phenomena regarding el nino & la nina?

4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I'd have to agree with Gap. Before FM, I had gone back to college to expand my horizons. I researched global warming as part of a project.

There is indeed a lot of evidence that global warming is real.

I hope we continue to make changes that improve our environment, more so for my grandchildren and great-grandchildren:)

But a good post, I love a good debate:)

5. rocky76

rocky76 Member

And I think Its all for money...
  6. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

People seem much more confortable discussing "global warming", than human overpopulation and the general human trashing of a beautiful planet.
    BTW, a lot of the "green revolution" may just make it possible to crowd more and more people on the Earth.
    Oh,well. Mr Bill

Could it be that giant sea gophers live under the ocean floor, and every so often they migrate and cause weather changes? Ooops, maybe I'd better edit that last sentence.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2010]
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

it's certainly warmer at my house.

On the other hand, one of the maids told me the butler
    moved the globe closer to the fireplace. So perhaps
    that explains it.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Au contraire, Rock. While you were sleeping Miss Scarlet using the wrench moved the globe to the conservatory which is not heated during the winter. That silly Miss Scarlet. Always getting into trouble.

Bill, I absolutely agree with you about overpopulation. A long, long, time ago I belonged to "Zero Population Growth". I wonder if they are still around?

[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2010]
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

They all died out.

10. victoria

victoria New Member

you're too funny Rock... the obvious answer yet I wouldn't have thought of it!

Zero Population Growth . org does show up on google, tho when you click it, it comes up as There appears to be other important stuff, like writing your reps, that one can do if you can't donate...

But maybe we need to rein in those giant sea gophers too. After seeing the gophers' "work" around here, I wish their preferred time was in the afternoon when my dogs are awake & outside.

Unfortunately, by the time anyone figures out what all is really happening and causing, it will likely be too late.

11. JimB51

JimB51 Member

see my profile pic
    Who'd have thought?) : )
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2010]
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

biggest concern for me is pollution, which expands to all fronts that you can think of.

Bad behavior by scientists makes the public throw the baby out with the bathwater:

PS: Just read that farmed fish in the US is the most polluted, btw. So much for eating fish.

13. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Why won't they pass and enforce laws concerning whales??
    Is it such a terrible thing to allow a species survive and repopulate?
    Their fishing industry is a menace to the oceans.
    We've tried to reason with their government, but they just aren't listening.
    We should boycott buying their cars and products til they start acting responsibly.
  14. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Whoops, already been done.

Those are very happy Polar bears, they seem to be adapting to climate.

Yes, pretty sure Earth may recover from humans in 65 million years. If we would just leave it alone.

I sort of worry when I read that humans are looking for other inhabitable planets.......are we going "beautify" them like we have Earth? Oh, well.

I read an assertion that the 150,000 people lost in Haiti will be replaced in two days by normal population growth. Sigh.

Maybe, the sea gophers and the naked mole rats will find a solution.

Rock, you are funny esp. when you present the obvious what happened to Planned parenthood.

Cheers, mr Bill
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2010]
  15. jole

jole Member

necessarily with the global warming, but I do believe we are doing our planet in. For instance, just how many landfills can we keep coming up with and still have room for cities and farm ground? (Can you imagine living over the top of a landfill??) So much waste in our country in the name of convenience.

I worry much more about ruining the land than I do the atmosphere....we need water and food to survive also! And with all the pollutants in our water and food, I think that causes much more cancers than smoking ever did. It's a given that our food is not safe anymore. And many cities have impure drinking water.

We're farmers, but do not use the harsh chemicals on our crops, nor do we inject our cattle or feed them anything to induce growth. We rely on rain for our crops and do not irrigate. We may not get paid as well for farming this way, but can sleep much better at night....(okay, that's not true...I have severe insomnia, lol...).....................Jole
  16. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Does not sit right with me. I live in the deep south, snow is like seeing a miracle here. BUT last year I had 18-20 inches of snow! Lasted for 5 days, ruined the roof on the garage, killed many of the trees, had 'widow makes' all over the trees! Never seen anything like it in my life time here.

This winter it again snowed, not as much just patches of it, but cold as I have ever seen it. Its still cold right now, and by the end of January we are back to summer time!

I speak to a few people who live up north, and they say they have never had such hard winters in 30 years.

Yes, I agree with its all about politics.

Now if you are a Bible Believer, go to Matthew chapter 24, and it explains it all!

Shalom, Shirl

17. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

However,I do agree with Jole and others statements about the waste material,plastics,etc. We really have become a throw away society! When's the last time anyone took their shoes to a shoe shop to have new heels or soles put on? I haven't even seen a shoe repair shop in years! As far as we humans (meaning,just by our very existance alone)contributing to global warming,I say nonsense!Just heard a physicist on the radio dubunking this theory. We breath in cabon dioxide and explel the excess.The plant life thrive on what we humans don't use. It's a kind of symbiosis between life forms. So as far as population control to mitigate global warming that's been shot down. there is a website Check it out to read some of the disturbing opinions regarding this concept. Al Gore for one,is quoted saying (in1997)"overopulation fosters global warming",therefor it was necessary to expand birth control and abortion programs in developing countries to help reduce environmental threat". Thomas Friedman (of the NY Times)had an op-ed piece last year in which he stated"Watching both the health care and climate/energy debates in Congress,it is hard NOT to draw the following conclusion: There is only one thing worse than one party autocracy,and that is one party democracy,which is what we have in America today. One party autocracy certainly has its drawbacks. But when led by a reasonably enlightened group of people,as China is today,it can also have great advantages." I find this very disturbing!~~Jeanne
    p.s. I do not want to incite an argument re this issue,just stating what I've heard and read![This Message was Edited on 02/02/2010]
  18. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

to this debate. Since political subjects are supposed to be off limits,I've been holding back on my opinions. Yet, on a lot of posts of varying subjects,politics always manages to rear it's head. Since jabs against politicians of a certain leaning are fair game I just have to say"AL GORE IS A IDIOT ELITIST LIAR!!!" The arrogance to suggest that anyone has the right to determine who shall live or die,especially based solely on some specious argument as global warming,which has been disproved by many scientists who surely know more that AL Gore a,k,a Forest Gump!!~~Jeanne