Is HPV Vaccine to Blame for a Teen's Paralysis?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Waynesrhythm, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

The following article was written by Deborah Kotz, senior editor at U.S. News & World Report. I thought it might be of interest to some who have been considering the HPV vaccine, either for themselves or for their daughters.

<a href="">Is HPV Vaccine to Blame for a Teen's Paralysis?</a>

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2008]
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Kathy,

RE: "I told her I would hunt the boy and his father down and cut both their things off if she engaged in behavior that her dad and I consider inappropriate."

I was just wondering, do all the boys (and their fathers) in the neighborhood know about your plan of action? I got a good chuckle out of that one. :)

RE: the HPV vaccination program. Apparently, even if the benefits of this program were fully realized, it would only amount to about 3-5 lives saved per one million vaccinations. In the mean time, ten deaths have already been linked to the vaccination itself. It would seem the simple arithmetic just doesn't add up.

3. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

She already has HPV and I'm sure she contracted it from her son's sperm donor. But even if the vaccine had been around when she was younger, I'm not sure whether I would have opted for it. She knows she has to stay on top of her pap smears and go every six months and the last one was NORMAL! I had abnormal paps for about 2 years and was tested for HPV as well, but mine was negative. My ex-fiance sure felt guilty because he was a cheatin' fool.

It is such a common virus that 'decent' people get it too. But it is so new that I probably would wait for any future granddaughters to have it to make sure it is safe.
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I too am against this as I believe it is too new and hasn't been tested properly. I really looked into it when it came out as I have 2 daughters as well and of course I want the best for them.

I spent a lot of time researching it and there really isn't much information out there yet on this.

Thank goodness I decided not to do this for now. I think I will definetly wait a lot of years before I even think about it. By then they will be adults and can make their own decisions about it.

5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi All,

There was a health segment on ABC News tonight on the HPV vaccination. Charlie Gibson discussed a recent article printed in the New England Journal of Medicine with Timothy Johnson. The video link:

<a href="">Does Gardasil Actually Guard Women?</a>

The article can be accessed on the New England Journal of Medicine's website:

<a href="">Human Papillomavirus Vaccination — Reasons for Caution</a>

Regards, Wayne