Is humidity & climate a big factor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caperkat, Mar 4, 2006.

1. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I'm new to this board, although I've visited the chat on this website off & on for the 3 years since I was dx'd. I've read many of your posts and replies, and there is always so much to learn from others... what works, what doesn't. I appreciate the caring and supporting atmosphere here. My question is to what extent does the humidity level where you live affect how you feel? I know many people with arthritis and other health issues move to warmer, dryer climates. I live in Iowa and am considering moving back to Colorado. It is almost as cold there in the winter, but year-round a much dryer climate. I have family there (or else I'd be heading further south). I hope some of you can help.
  2. janieb

janieb New Member

Hi,I live in Wisconsin, but last winter I spent three months in Arizona. It was heaven. Even though they had lots of rain for Arizona, it was warm and my fibro didn't hardly slow me down.

This winter, due to my husband's health and surgeries, we're in Wisconsin. He started an old wood furnace we have had for years and it does help take the humidity out of the air and provides nice warmth. Still, there are too many days when I can hardly do normal things like dishes, etc.

This is just my opinion and there is no medical background to back it up but if I have a chance, I'll head for Arizona or someplace warm next year.

Mary
  3. caperkat

caperkat New Member

I appreciate your words of encouragement. If it were just up to me, I'd probably already be there, or somewhere in the southwest. I think for now, we're considering Colorado because of family connections there. I'm hoping the drier climate will help. BTW, my in-laws live in Dubuque, just acrodd the river from Wisconsin. Thanks again for your help.
  4. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I got the FM here and have it in the severe form after many years of it
    progressing. Many say it doesn't progress, even some of the so called big time hospitals etc, but most of us can attest that it does.

Whoever came last winter did hit a really rainy time, we are now back in the drought and haven't had enough rain to fill a good sized thimble in a long time now. We do though, have man made lakes, lots of golf courses and other water we didn't have here years ago. So the "dry" heat is not as dry as it used to be. The pollution is also very bad, less in the summer months as the Snowbirds aren't here in large numbers, but then the Monsoons begin in July and if we do get rain it gets VERY humid.

They used to send people here for TB
    and Arthritis as well as Asthma due to the dry weather and clean air. Now people tend to get those things here as much as move here to help them. It
    was that we had next to no pollution up in the mountains, but Flagstaff, near the Grand Canyon now has bad air
    alerts and fireplace restrictions as the pollution has reached there.

I'm not saying don't move to Arizona, we need the work, my husband works on
    new housing. I just want you to know that it isn't the Utopia of good things for FM/CFS some think it is. I have no doubt the heat helps some just as it makes me worse.

My worst days are when a storm is here but hasn't let go of the rain yet. Once it does begin to rain my symptoms improve from the pre rain flareiness. (a word?) I don't go out of the house from about April until
    the beginning of December when the really cooler days begin to appear. That makes for less exercise so maybe that is partly why I feel worse in the summer. But I also have the off
    skelter inner thermometer some of us have and the least heat just makes my whole body turn red, gives me palpatations, I feel light headed and HAVE to get out of it.

Days when the pollution are very bad
    and we have air alerts I feel much worse as well as the days we have a
    lot of the er..."trails" from jets. Many days we don't have to look outside to know but if we do there are the familiar beginning X's and other grids being formed. Then the whole sky spreads out to be overcast
    and I ache from head to toe. I'm not
    alone in that.

SO, that's my 2 cents on AZ, I'd love
    to leave but so far haven't found any place ideal for these dd's. I guess it's just another one of those where it's each person. I would try to spend a full year here before buying
    though.
  5. caperkat

caperkat New Member

It's been a few days but I appreciate your words of advice & encouragement, as well as everyone else here. I agree this DD progresses, despite what the 'experts' say. I have also had some of my most challenging days in the heat of summer here. This all continues to be mostly a mystery, but every day I educate myself more & do all I can to be proactive. One of the toughest things to get used to is not overdoing it when I feel better. Many of you on this board have voiced that you pay for it the next day, or the next. I continue to try to pace myself.

Thanks...
    caperkat (Kathy... one of my cat's names is Caper)
  6. caperkat

caperkat New Member

Although I hope to eventually move further southwest, my next move will be Colorado, where I have family. Sounds like the climate may or may not be the factor I thought it was, but I know family is. I lived in the Denver area for 20+ years before moving to Des Moines 10 years ago. (Originally from NYC... ha!)
    I sure appreciate all your help...
  7. caperkat

caperkat New Member

Judy, I appreciate your words very much.
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've lived in the south U.S. all my life. I actually really enjoy a humid environment -- but only if it is cool. So this means that I am comfortable about 3 months out of the year without resorting to AC to solve the problem.

Humidity PLUS heat is just miserable, miserable, miserable. My big problem is CFS, w/FM pain only mild (and mostly gone for the last year). Summer with 90-plus temps and 90-plus humidity is my idea of what hell would be like.

[ advertisement ]