Is IBS and colitis the same

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PaulMark, Aug 23, 2002.

1. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

are these the same my sis has colitis i've of course with cfids worsening gut ecology and IB S symptoms but i think mostly when eat off food all. diet and the mestinon has some gastro side effects bathroom trots

i'm not clear on the difference betweeen these 2 things??

PM
  2. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

are these the same my sis has colitis i've of course with cfids worsening gut ecology and IB S symptoms but i think mostly when eat off food all. diet and the mestinon has some gastro side effects bathroom trots

i'm not clear on the difference betweeen these 2 things??

PM
  3. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Paulmark,

IBS refers to intermittent abdominal pain with bowel irregularities, i.e. constipation, diarrhea, which may alternate one with the other.

Colitis is an actual inflammation of the lining of the colon & rectum. This may also involve ulceration of the lining.

IBS tends to be chronic, while colitis may or may not be chronic (though I think it usually is due to lack of early or adequate treatment).

hope this helps,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace All Grievances
  4. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

Coopper, i've had some bouts with this evidently since being sicker for 5 yrs with CFIDS anhd later fibro, but asa long as didn't binge on dairy ice cream junk under control, but my log shows mild abdom. cramping and increases perastalsis since 6/20 when went on mestinon yet it has bnefits big CATCh 22 and stressed me out, so part is due to drug BUT i'm sure some things can make worse, lack of sleep rest, and certain FOODs

DO YOU HAVE IBS AND IF SO WHAT FOODS MAKE IT WORSE ???

GOD BLESS pm