Is Ibuprofen dangerous?......everyday?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Oct 8, 2002.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Hello All,

The medication that works best for me (from what I've tried)is Ibuprofen. It really helps with inflamation that causes the pain in my muscles and joints common with FM. At times it makes me feel almost NORMAL!

I recently heard that Alonzo Mourning (NBA basketball star) who is relatively young has serious kidney problems due to regularly taking Ibuprofen to treat inflammation and pain due to wear and tear of pro basketball. (link below)

(Edited by Moderator)

I would like to hear from people who take Ibuprofen regularly and how many MG do that take per week. What is the recommended dosage per week?

I don't take much (about 250mg 3 or 4 times a week) but I would take it everyday if I wasn't leary of the side effects.

Thanks,

Allen

2. AJME

AJME New Member

Hello All,

The medication that works best for me (from what I've tried)is Ibuprofen. It really helps with inflamation that causes the pain in my muscles and joints common with FM. At times it makes me feel almost NORMAL!

I recently heard that Alonzo Mourning (NBA basketball star) who is relatively young has serious kidney problems due to regularly taking Ibuprofen to treat inflammation and pain due to wear and tear of pro basketball. (link below)

(Edited by Moderator)

I would like to hear from people who take Ibuprofen regularly and how many MG do that take per week. What is the recommended dosage per week?

I don't take much (about 250mg 3 or 4 times a week) but I would take it everyday if I wasn't leary of the side effects.

Thanks,

Allen

3. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

so far so good but it worrys me, but the amount you are taking is not excessive and I wouldn't worry about it. Not sure what the recommended dosage (depends on your doctor and your condition) but I think I saw a post not too long ago about that. I can't seem to function without taking at least one every day (my prescription is 2/day) but I can't take anything else due to adverse reactions to stronger narcotic type meds. It does help my inflammation and it takes the edge of my pain - I take Prilosec to protect my stomach so I don't get ulcers from it but sometimes get pain in kidney area so thinking I should have a blood test to see how kidneys and liver are doing.

Take care!
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I take Norco and it has 365 mgs per pill and I am going to ask the doc for Oxycontin it has no additives. It's Percocet but, with out the additives. They are narcotics so since I am on one I'd rather take one that is free of other stuff I don't need.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And, we all tolerate meds differently. Ibuprophen, like any med, must be processed through the liver and kidneys. That dosn't mean we shouldn't take it. It is one of my favorite meds to use for low-level pain. At 800 mgs., it is good for worse pain. Acetaminophen (sp?) is harder on the liver but doesn't seem to produce the bleeding problems that ibuprophen does in certain people. Aspirin can upset the stomach and cause bleeding also.

I cannot tolerate Vioxx or Celebrex, but I wouldn't take them anyway due to side effects. Ultram makes me sick. Ibuprophen has been my standby drug for years. For unbearable pain, I use Morphine but rarely anymore.

FMS is not an inflammatory illness but for some reason, certain anti-inflammatory meds seem to help us. I believe that our pain can irritate the surrounding tissues and produce some inflammation.

Love, Mikie
  6. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

Hey Allen - I take 800mg in the am and in the pm and one more time during the day if I need it. I also take a Prilosec cap with it each time. This is prescription and Dr. isn't worried about it since she is the one that prescribed it in the first place. I asked yesterday if there was anything new out there for pain and she didn't even hesitate before she said "no" - stay with what you are on. I also take a regular aspirin b/4 bed per my neurologist and 150 mg of amitriptyline. I have been on this same schedule for at least 6 if not more, years.

Patti