is increased choking a symptom ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckahele, Aug 23, 2003.

1. ckahele

ckahele New Member

my worst flare-up has been since 7-4-03 and i've noticed that i'm having choking episodes that i never had before.
    like something going down the wrong pipe is happening rather frequently.
    does anyone else have anything like this???
  2. mgk321

mgk321 New Member

No, I don't have such a symptom, but you should go to your doctor and get it checked out. It sounds like you may have gastric reflux which has caused strictures on your esophagus. This makes it very hard to swallow.

Don't let it go. There are drugs and other treatments that could help you.

Good luck!
  3. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

I have never had a choking symptom. I also think it would be a good idea to see your doctor. Hope you find some relief soon. Take care.
    Alicia
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2003]
  4. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

This can also be a symptom of an enlarged thyroid.
  5. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I seem to be developing more and more FM symptoms. I've been told that this is not unusual.

I choke...a lot! I choke when I eat, when I take meds, when I drink and, seemingly for no reason at all.

This has been happening for several years. Over the course of them I have had a brochoscopy and two head and neck MRI's for varying reasons, and...I have had my thyroid checked. Nothing seems to be wrong. The doctor checks my throat every time I go, he tells me that the chords in my neck are extremely tight and rigid. Otherwise there does not seem to be any discernible reason. I have to remind myself to swallow and I often catch myself "stroking" my throat.

That being said, I still think you should see a doctor about this problem. There could be something that needs attention.

Let us know what happens, please,

Sandra
  6. EZBRUZR

EZBRUZR New Member

hi!

I have that. Been DX Glosypharanagial Neuoralgia.

Many Readings on Yeast issue also touch on sore/swallowing throat issue as a symptom.If you are in Big Flare,is it Yeast Related?Until I learned what bothered my system and eliminated all *flare Foods* and realized the meds for neuralgia did nothing.
    I do have a few other Esopagous issues also,however,for me the swallowing was greatly improved after diet Regulaion.
    Hope helpful :)

Take Care & Peace,
    eZ
  7. AnnG

AnnG New Member

...have a hiatel hernia which can cause the choking sensation. My only solution has been to eat slowly and avoid white meat, dry bread, etc. My mom's Dr. told her to sip warm herbal tea while she ate (it runs in families!). Good luck to you!
  8. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I have frequent "coughing/choking" episodes where a bit of food goes down the windpipe. I have to cough to clear it, no choice, it's a reflex out of my control. Happens alot. I thought it's because I eat too fast and must inhale too much air.

BUT I also get the same problem with sipping hot liquids, and very frequently with just plain old saliva. I'll go to inhale just before speaking and this tiny drop of spit will go flying down my throat and I start coughing furiously. Of course it sounds like I'm dying from choking, but I'm not. But it IS embarrassing! I never hear or see other people coughing like a fool because they're choking on their own spit.

But I think what's worse is having food sucked up into my
    sinuses! Happens quite frequently. It burns and is very uncomfortable. Could be a grain of rice, or just a small piece of anything. It just kind of stays stuck there until I can inhale through my nose hard enough to knock it out. THEN of course it goes down my windpipe so I end up in a coughing fit again!

I hadn't realized how frequent it's been happening for years until you brought this up! I wonder if many other FM'ers have this?

Hope it gets better for you
  9. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello CKEHELE and other fibromites -

I posted about this issue and also answered 6 or 7 other people's posts on this issue over the past few months.

THe good news is that the problem has been resolved for me, after about 2 years of constant choking on food, losing my appetite for any food and the beginning of eating shakes and other soft foods. For me it was related to Myofascial Pain Syndrome, chording in my neck, a tight diaphragm muscle, etc. All of my tests came out negative.

I would suggest putting the word "choking" up in the "search" box at the top of the page and pressing "go". You'll get a whole host of previous posts on this topic.

Happy reading. I know that you'll find an answer.

TAke Good Care, ........... Jillian
  10. CJR

CJR New Member

You may want to check with a neurologist. I have this problem as the result of an Arnold-Chiari Malformation. I had completely lost my gag reflex. It is a birth defect that causes pressure on the brain stem but sometimes symptoms don't appear until adulthood. I had surgery several years ago and the gagging is better now but I will always have some neuro damage as a result of the defect. I have read that it is somewhat more common in people with fibro. Good luck
  11. damie

damie New Member

Yes, I have the same problem! Even if I don't swallow something goes down the "wrong pipe" and I start to cough then it can turn into choking where I gag. Quite embarrassing. Just had an upper GI and will find out in a few days if they fond anything. Sometimes I feel crazy with these symptoms.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2003]
  12. Myth

Myth New Member

but my dad says he has trouble swolling food. It is definately something to get a doctor to look at,
    Myth
  13. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Hopefully this reply won't get posted twice(must have hit a stray key by mistake and computer went crazy)

Back to subject:
    I don't know if what I have is choking, but when I suffer
    FMS pain in neck and shoulder, I have had muscle spasms
    strong enough to cuase a tightening feeling in my throat.
    For a few seconds to few minutes I will have trouble swallowing.
  14. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Don't know if this is the same thing. I have trouble getting food down my throat because I do not produce enough saliva due to Sjogren's Syndrome. Do you have dry eyes, dry mouth? Fondly, June

[ advertisement ]