Is it good to have a label??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marsupialmama, Sep 24, 2006.

1. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

I am wondering whether to pursue the "label" of an official DX or not. I have been so sick and tired for so long and am fed up of being told I am lazy or depressed or whatever. In fact I am "not allowed" to be depressed because that carries a huge stigma in certain circles around here. Mental illness means you are "crazy" then everyone shuns you. I know it's dumb but that's the reality.

There is a part of me that says that if it were to be identified as a sickness then I could say to people that I have limitations and this is why. Perhaps they would respect that??

Then again, another part of me is afraid of having a "restricting" label. Like when I was labelled as "too sensitive" or "ugly" as a child... <sigh>

Any thoughts?
  2. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I understand your label delimma I to have had that problem that If I had a label people would beleive I were truely not feeling well but like depression 'YOU ARE CRAZY' label and diasbility label your are not worht much .

still a balancing act with a label for me too. i just wanted everyone to know I wasn't lazy i was hurting.

hope you feel better about what you want people to know to.
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I have alot of mental illness in my family and I was always terrified that I would turn out like one cousin or another.

When I was diagnosed with the fibro, and then eventially had to leave work, the depression almost got me. I had it all planned out. Thats when I asked for a referral to a psycologist. Its the best thing I ever did. He makes me think and I have realized that Im just a person with a terrible disease. My oldest son has been calling me a drug addict and lazy for over 2 ys.

My sweet husband is the closest I have to understanding besides all of you. And even he will sometimes say something so stupid that I think even he doesnt get it.

If you have it really bad, you will be labled anyway by most people. Trust me when I say they will not understand the disease and your symptoms. Most of the time, when asked how I am, I say fine. I have accepted the fact that I have severe fibro but it doesnt make it any easier to accept that my life will never be the same again unless they find a cure.

I pray for all of us.

Have you read the "spoons"? Go to the SEARCH at the top of the page and type in spoons. Some say this helps friends and family understand. There are also others but I cant remember them right now but someone here will tell you what to look for.

Suzette
  4. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I hate labels in a really big way in most areas of my life. But I think if you can frame your disabilites in such a way as to make them less personal, less a part of you and more just something that has happened *to* you, you will be more empowered in the long run. And you open yourself up to the possibility that others will have heard of the illness and be understanding & repectful. Not that they shouldn't be that way regardless though....
  5. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

it's good to have different perspectives. It may take some time but I'll follow through with docs and see what they say. Maybe print off the list of symptoms and see how that compares to my issues.

I think I can learn from some friends who have disabilities. They are such positive people and so much more than "the blind woman" or "the woman in the wheelchair". That's just a part of who and what they are, and not even such a major part. One of them told me to acknowledge your limitations and take it from there...