Is it hard to get health ins. when you have fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jul 5, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I am thinking about trying to get health ins. I need an MRI of my spine and I know I cannot afford to pay cash for it. I've heard that they are really expensive.

I'm not even sure I can afford health insurance. I have had health insurance in the past, but they kept going up on the monthly payments and I was forced to just cancel it.

Any suggestions?

Kriket
  2. glk2756

glk2756 New Member

HI,
    If you are employed, I got major tests done/new glasses when I was under group health insurance...when I was in between jobs, I was rated in the business office of a local hospital that was mandated to provide care for low income poplation on a sliding scale. They rate you every 3 months where I had used, so you can be working, depending on family size and income. After I left an employer, I decided it was less hassle to get single coverage, but even the same group insurer I just left within the month denied me due to fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism. (chronic conditions)Several others also denied me so I used the previous resource mentioned until I recently got SSDI and the wait in my state was over 2 years so I got Medicare immediately and now just have to worry about what Medicare doesn't pay for office visits and prescriptions!
    good luck.
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

Kriket could you apply for the health insurance and NOT tell them you have FM? I don't know the issues that necessitate the MRI of your spine, but if it's not related to FM maybe if you just "omitted" that detail, you might get the insurance, unless you have other conditions too.

Since there are no blood tests or diagnostics that identify FM (except for the tender point test) you might just sneak through.

It's the same principle when we as FMers go to the ER for anything, don't ever mention FM to the triage people or they will make you wait FOREVER because many do not believe in FM, it is a "made-up disease" that we created in our own heads.

When I was dx'd with Crohn's, I went in via the ER, and did not mention the FM at admitting. I was taken in immediately because of my severe GI symptoms. Once I got to the GI doc I did tell him I had FM, but I had already gotten where I needed to be at that point. I am sure had I revealed my FM at the triage area, I would have been blown off as an IBSer (which I also suffer from) and sent home or made to wait for hours. It turned out I had severe Crohn's that nearly killed me and I was kept in the hospital for five days.

I think we have to adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with FM. I am not discounting the seriousness or importance of FM at all. I know it is debilitating having lived with more or less most of my adult life. But the medical people don't think so, and medicine unfortunately has become a game these days; we just have to learn to play it and play it better than they do in order to get our needs met.

I know this is a rambling post and I'm sorry, I hope it makes sense to you. I guess what I'm trying to say is if the insurance company doesn't need to know about the FM up front in order to write the policy, then don't tell 'em.

((((((hugs)))))) and good luck,
    Michelle
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I had fibro. the last time I had health insurance. I'm sure it is on record everywhere. All of my doctors have it in there files I think. I sware, there are so many that needs health insurance and seems the ones that need it the most are denied it or just flat don't get taken care of or just cannot afford it. This really ticks me off.

Kriket