Is It Hormones?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjade, Jun 14, 2007.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

I was just wondering if Fibro could be relatedor worsened by hormones? I have had 3 children, during each of my pregnancies, I never felt better! I had energy, and not alot of pain. Unlike most women, I LOVED being pregnant! I also notice my symptoms get really bad right before my monthly cycle....Could this all be related somehow for me? Thanks,
  2. fiddlestix

fiddlestix New Member

I've often wondered about this myself and have the similar worsening of symptoms that you describe. My doctor thinks the "pill" might help, but I just don't know...
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

I started with my first REALLY bad flare of FM at the same time my menapause started so I agree there is a big connection to hormones.

I was having major menapause symptoms too so I went on helped with the flashes...but now I have a mass in my left breast that they do not know if it is cancer or had to stop the HRT.

My GYN doesnt know a thing about FM so I am going to try to see an endro dr. once I have the biopsy and know I am OK.

4. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

This illness is all about hormones. Fibromyalgia thrives on stress. Our stress machine is broken, so we're in a constant state of "fight or flight". Our adrenals are affected; so are our thyroids.

Here is a pretty good description of the hormone part of fibromyalgia. Just don't get sucked into the sales pitch at the end.
  5. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

better or worse............however there are so many very young childbearing aged members here that hae full blown I don't think that this dd is a complete reflection of unbalanced hormones......I do think that the hormone issues just don't make anything any better that is for sure!

6. 2psnapod

2psnapod New Member

My pregnancy was one of the worst times of my life. I was totally miserable throughout the entire pregnancy. I knew almost immediately I was pregnant (even though we were not trying) because of how different I felt. I was hospitalized 5 times during my pregnancy. The last 8 weeks were the absolute worse. Of course, I was pregnant with twins so that didn't help but I have never felt worse. I had a total hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago and my hormones have not been right since. No combination of hormones has been able to help. I am almost alway hot and sweating. I have it so cold in the house my family is freezing and yet the sweat is pouring off me - literally. I have also had much more FM pain in the last 2 years than I ever had. It seems I am in a never ending flare. Don't know if hormones have anything to do with it or not but it seems likely.
  7. tkm1222

tkm1222 New Member you, I felt fantastic during my 3 pregnancies also!! I have always told everyone that I loved being pregnant & felt wonderful when I was. So I firmly believe that hormones are involved. I am on birth control pills because I would be SO bad right before my monthly cycle. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism & Hashimoto's thyroiditis. So...yes...hormones play a big part in fibromyalgia...I will always believe that. Hang in there...
  8. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

that when the estrogen levels are high the fibro pain level
    is high and the fatigue is severe. I have found that to be true for me. I am a believer in herbal teas and supplements to balance out my hormones. I have a book called "Prescripton for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A Balch and James F. Balch. This book lists herbs as well as vitamins and minerals that are helpful for all types of illnesses. I always a very small amount of whatever they
    recommend and I find relief if I am consistent.
  9. Elisa

Elisa Member

Just a question...

Are those on HRT on ioidentical hormones? I have read a lot that that makes ALL the difference - in terms of feeling better.

God Bless,

10. Risk

Risk New Member

I am one of those women on HRT. And yes what I use it considered "bio-identical". They are not from a compounding pharmacy but rather by prescription that you can get at any drug store. I use the Vivelle-dot, which is a natural estrogen replacement. It is a patch that I change twice a week. Then from days 1-12 of the month, I cycle with a natural progesterone, (vaginal gel) called Prochieve. It is progesterone not progestin which is a synthetic hormone. Many other women use Prometrium, which is an oral natural progesterone, which I believe are plant base vs. hormones from pregnant mare's urine which is in Premarin/Prempro.

I know without the hormones, I am an emotional basket case. More anxiety, panic, depression, etc. Even my family dr who is not a fan, told me to get back on them since I was literally falling apart. I went through an early menopause (late 30's) and started the HRT when I was 44 (I'm 49 now). My gyno said we'll re-evaluate once I hit 50 next April.

I guess it's a personal choice for everyone. Some women do great on Premarin/prempro while others choose the bio-idential route and some even opt for the birth control pill.

Good luck to you.

11. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I think so too KJ I have had heaps of stress in my life and at age 55 started my menopause and symptoms were also there then although I think they were there long before but much milder

My eostrogen? is that of a 90 year old and Iam 58 IT just has to do something with the hormones.......

there are many theories and I think there will be multiple things that cause FM

good luck all

angel hugs

12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

The week before my period I feel HORRIBLE, barely able to function and without my pain meds, I know I could not. I tried one BC pill but only stayed on it one month b/c it costs $30 per month and I could not afford it, sorry to say. I would be willing to try it again, but actually this month I was already taking the FRS Healthy Energy and had only one day of agony versus 7 or 8. It helps me feel more energetic and seems to help with pain, but I don't know how. I only know that when I drink it in the morning, I don't have to have a pain pill until the afternoon and the residual pain that the shower did not get seems to go away by the time I get to work.

I have a question for tkm1222, what birth control are you on? Thanks. God Bless.
  13. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

kjade have you ever considered taking progesterone cream? I don't have any kids yet and i also do have cfs, not fibro, but i have been told that anyone with fibro or cfs should incorporate progesterone cream into their regimen. i started 2 months ago with the progesterone cream and i felt a dramatic difference in my energy and just overall well being level. this could also be why you were feeling so wonderful during your pregnancy
  14. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I was put on bio-identicals from a compounding pharmacy. They were supposed to stop my hot flashes and they did for a month and then they came back. I didn't notice any difference with the fibro pain while I was on them. P
  15. munch1958

munch1958 Member

The most important thing is to get follow up labs done to be certain bloodwork is within the normal range. If the docs are not checking to see if the hormones are doing what they are supposed to do then of course they won't help.

Most of the time, docs give you what they think is an adequate dose. This is fine for some but for those of us with fatigue based illnesses, we need constant tweaking based on lab results to be sure we are in target ranges.

Dr Cheney has found some of us with CFS have sky-high urine levels of hormones but low blood levels. To me this sort of indicates that we are peeing out all of our hormones. I've had very low blood results and very high urine results. This changed once I was on growth hormone for 6 months.

I got these optimal ranges from FFC when I went there. The FFC program is based on the work of a board certified endocrinologist Dr Kent Holtorf. Note they are higher than Quest labs normal ranges.

Once I got all of my hormones up into normal ranges and/or these ranges, I started feeling much better. Many of my symptoms went away.

It's been very hard to keep my T3 in the range of 360 - 450. To do this, I'm now on 150 mcg. of T3 2X per day and 50 mcg. of T4 2X per day. My T4 still needs to go up.

IGF-1: 200-350
    Reverse T3: < 145
    TSH: 0.40- 5.50
    Thyroglobulin AB: < 20
    Thyroid Peroxidase: < 35
    T-4 Free: 1.5 - 1.8
    T-3 Free: 360 - 450
    Estradiol > 70 (Teitelbaum > 100)
    Progesterone > 10
    Testosterone Total 30-60
    % Free Testosterone 5-8
    DHEA > 200