Is it impossible to get SSD for Fibro & Chronic Depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 6ftfromedge, Jun 6, 2003.

1. 6ftfromedge

6ftfromedge New Member

at the same time. Since I do now have both. Don't mind me, I'm very scared and unsure of myself and my husband wants a divorce. I just want to get my self settled first. Another question out there for someone who is collecting SSD, is it possible to own property with that as income if you have a co-signer? If my husband and I end up divorcing and sell the house (that is in his name only) and I put down my my money as a downpayment, does my SSD count as income along with alimony so I could afford to live in a small house? Does anyone know how this works. I recently purchased a book on it, but it hasn't come in the mail yet. thanks again
  2. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

What I have read and heard so far is this. It is harder to get SSD for a mental illness-this coming from my therapist.
    BUT I have also read that many had to use that as the main problem even if they had a DD and they DID get SSD.
    One lawyer wrote that if you use CFS always always tell your doctor and anyone else about the FATIGUE. They can not measure fatigue, but with pain they can tell you to just take another pill and get to work. OUCH- He was prettty blunt.
    It seems to go so many ways. There is no one way. I am in the same limbo. I Try to be patient and figure it will work out the way it is supposed to even if I don't understand why it did (or did not ) work out they way I wanted it to. But it's hard!
    Ziggy
  3. 6ftfromedge

6ftfromedge New Member

Although these symptoms sometimes overlap each other, they are in no way the same disease. Also I am not trying to collect SSD on mental illness, I'm tyring for the fibro with the chronic depression included in that. A few years ago I tried to kill myself and have not been able to hold a job since, I have tried and have made it for about a month before my body started to go haywire and everyone thought that I was just making this up. Well I am not. Sorry if I seem harse, but I just had a fight with my husband, who will be helping with me trying to get SSD, since he went through alot of the crap along with me. My question was, do you you think that I can get the SSD because of the fibro and my history of chronic mental illness combined, not just for depression. Anyway, I guess I figure it out on my own. thanks
  4. spatialbean

spatialbean New Member

It looks like I am going to be approved for SSD according to the woman handling my case. I have been on short term disability for close to one year now and applied for full disability probably two months ago. I was out on the short term with fibromyalgia and depression. In January I got super sick with my thyroid, and I also went into a major depression (there was an awful lot of bad things that happened to me and my family), and the fibro got worse. I was seen at the county mental health clinic trying to admit myself and a friend tried to admit me at one point. My medical doctor disagreed with my diagnosis of fibromyalgia that my original doctors had determined, but she treated me for the thyroid. Anyway, when I saw that I was not improving very quickly I applied for full disability. I had a friend complete part of the paperwork, I did my portion, my therapist did a narrative and they also got records from the county mental health.

I had read on a web site by a former SS reviewer, that you should make comparisons from before you were sick to now. Like "In the past I was able to perform a full time position but now I am unable to get out of bed most days before noon due to fatigue." Or "I used to enjoy painting but I am now unable to hold a brush." It helped me to carry around a paper with me and whenever I noticed something I jotted it down, like "couldn't turn on oven due to arm weakness" or "turned down invitation to dinner due to nausea and fatigue". Think about everything that has changed since you got sick, like not being able to cook or clean the house or go to the grocery store, whatever you need help with. It is very helpful to have that when it comes to completing the forms they will send to you. My friend and therapist also used the same type of thing, saying how long they have known me and how my life has changed and become limited by the illness. I guess it goes without saying to have someone who is close to you and aware of what you go through and sympathetic be your friend/family member witness. I think mentioning everything is helpful, like "psychiatrist still working to find anti depressant that will work for me, and correct dosage", meaning that you aren't out of the woods yet, but a work in progress.

I hope this helps.

Love,
    Claudia
  5. nje

nje New Member

I BELIEVE FIRMLY THAT IF YOU GET AS GOOD OF AN LAWYER THAT I DID, YOU WILL DEFINITELY HAVE NO TROUBLE AT ALL. I STARTED OUT TRYING TO GET MINE ON NERVES,ANXIETY ATTACKS AND CHRONIC DEPRESSION. MY LAWYER TOOK THE CASE ON JUST THAT,BUT TOLD ME, THAT IT WOULD MOST LIKELY TAKE A YEAR,AND TO CALL HIM EVERYTIME I WENT TO A DIFFEENT DOCTOR ON ANYTHING NEW. WELL I WAS ALREADY SEEING A PSYCHIATRIST AND THERAPIST FOR 5 YEARS, SINCE MY DAD COMMITED SUICIDE IN 1997, SO THEY HAD ALL MY RECORDS FOR THAT,BUT AT THE SAME TIME I SAW MY LAWYER FOR THE FIRST TIME, I HAD BEEN ACHING,SORE ALL OVER, MEMORY LOSS,SHORT OF BREATH. WELL TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT,I HAD TO GO THRU A LOT OF TESTS BEFORE THEY DIAGNONOSED ME WITH FIBRO, SO I CALLED MY LAWYER,GAVE HIM ALL THAT INFO. I ALSO WAS SENT TO A NEUROLOGIST AND THEY OF COURSE FOUND SEVERAL OTHER THINGS WRONG WITH ME, SO I CONTACTED MY LAWYER AND GAVE HIM ALL THAT INFO. MEANWHILE I WAS STILL SEEING MY PSYCHIATRIST AND THERAPIST ON A REGULAR BASIS,AND STILL ARE EVEN TO NOW,SO WITH A COMBINATION OF ALL THAT, MY LAYER WON MY CASE, OFF THE RECORD,MEANING I DIDN`T EVEN HAVE TO GO TO A HEARING, OR NOTHING. THEY PAID ME 2 YEARS BACK-TIME, WHICH WAS HOW LONG I HAD BEEN OUT OF WORK FROM MY LAST WORKING DAY TO THAT TIME. IT TOOK A YEAR,EVEN AT THAT,NOT BECAUSE OF ANYTHING BUT THE SLOWNESS OF THE SSD.ACTUALLY IGOT MINE QUICKER THAN MOST PEOPLE,BECAUSE I HAD A HIGHLY REPUTABLE LAWYER WITH NOT MANY IF ANY,CASES LOST. HE WAS A KIND, CARING MAN,.HE REALLY KNEW HIS BUSINESS. HE TALKED WITH EACH AND EVERY ONE OF MY DOCTORS IN PERSON. I LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA. I DON`T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE,BUT I HELPED A LADY OFF HERE FIND A GOOD LAWYER WHERE SHE LIVED, THROUGH MY LAWYER. I CALLED HIM FOR HER,ASKED HIM DID HE KNOW ANY GOOD LAWYERS IN THAT AREA AND HE DID. I`D SAY YOU WON`T HAVE A PROBLEM AT ALL, BUT START TRYING TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTORS,ALL OF THEM ABOUT SUPPORTING YOU FOR A CLAIM FOR DISABILIY.THEY MIGHT SURPRISE YOU,MINE DID. I DIDN`T THINK MY PSYCHIATRIST WOULD EVER SUPPORT A CLAIM FOR ME,BECAUSE HE ALWAYS WOULD SAY, MY NERVES WOULD GET BETTER IF I WENT BACK TO WORK. BUT A LOT OF STUFF KEPT HAPPENING TO ME,AND HE CHANGED HIS MIND. YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL TALKING TO YOUR DOCTORS ABOUT THIS, YOU HAVE GOT TO CONVINCE THEM THAT YOU TRIED WORKING,(SO DID I) AND COULN`T HOLD A JOB. YOU DON`T WANT THEM THINKING YOU`RE LAZY JUST LOOKING FOR A FREE HANDOUT,I MEAN SOME DOCTORS CAN BE REAL JACKASSES,THEY DON`T KNOW HOW HARD IT IS JUST TO GET UP EVERY MORNING MUCH LESS GET READY, GO TO A JOB AND TRY TO WORK,IN HORRIBLE PAINAND BEING CHRONICALLY DEPRESSED TOO. I WILL PRAY THAT YOU GET THIS SSD,I`D GET STARTED SOON ON IT BECAUSE YOUR CASE SOUNDS A LOT LIKE MINE. WHEN I READ THE REVIEW OF MY SSD PAPERS STATING MY REASONS FOR BEING DISABLED,I WAS SHOCKED. IT WAS MOSTLY THE CHRONIC NERVE,ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION THAT GOT IT FOR ME,BUT THE FIBRO WAS MENTIONED AS THE NEXT REASON.I HOPE I HELPED YOU A LITTLE EVEN IF I DID WRITE A BOOK. ALSO I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO COUNT IT AS INCOME, BECAUSE IT ISSS!!!!!!!!!!! nje
  6. L1lly

L1lly New Member

To answer the rest of your question, yes, your SSDI income can be counted the same as any other income in qualifying for a loan, rather like a senior citizen's Social Security check. The lender will ask you for a copy of your disability award letter, showing that this income is expected to continue long term, and the amount of it.

Although it is cfids that disables me, I was awarded disability for depression. It is an illness that they can get their minds around a lot better than cfids or fms.

Best of luck to you,
    Lilly
  7. 6ftfromedge

6ftfromedge New Member

Anyone from NJ collecting SSD? I have an appointment next Thursday for my interview. I have all my info except that I am waiting on 2 phone calls, because I don't remember the names of 2 doctors who treated me. Do you think that I have more of a chance of approval because I was hospitalized for chronic depression/anxiety/manic/panic disorders, and I am finally on med's (4 days now) plus the FM? I also am planning on writing out the series of episodes that had me hospitlilzed in a mental hospital for 8 days, that should help also? My friend has been collecting for 13 years for CFS, I don't know if depression was the main reason she went to apply for or not. I'm just very scared about this whole process. If I do get approved, my husband and I will be separating, because then we will have the extra money for me to live on. Anyone from NJ who has gotten approved? How long did this take? Some people say a long time and others say a few months. There is also a date on my paperwork that says if I don't apply (have everything signed, sealed etc) by Dec 2003, I cannot apply. I'm just very nervous, I'm trying to look on the bright side of the horrible events that I went through to get me to this place in my life, and look at them as helpful things that could help me collect.

When my depression first started, I had taken alot of pills and my husband didn't know what to do so he took me to the emergency room, where they didn't pump my stomach or anything like that, I was just really out of it and slept it off, but I had to agree to check myself in to the mental facility the next day. Well I kept the appointment the next day, and was asked to go into the man's office to check me in and when he left the room to get something for me to sign, I left the facility. If I write that, that should help right? I was so manic, and now I find out about the FM. Also, this brings me to another question, I have an FM dr appt next week, (2 days before my SSD appt), should I tell him about my plan to apply, and the other is should I wait until I see my other dr (who I just started seeing 5 days ago) and reschedule my SSD appointment until I have both those visits under my belt? Any advice?
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I was one of the first people in the United States to get disability for Fibro, in January of 1986.
    My lawyer said one reason I got it was my strong work history, which was 18 yrs. straight of working almost 50 hrs. per week. leading up to my illness. Another was that I was dx'd with a mild secondary depression (dysthymia) and my lawyer said it is easier to get it for a mental problem, so that helped. I am in Florida, but not sure that makes a difference, since the states always turn you down the first two times, since they are the ones who have to pay you. When you get to the federal hearing after about a year of waiting, there is your chance to win.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  9. ChiaPet

ChiaPet New Member

Hi Ive been on disability sinse I was 18.I got it for depression and anxiety.I got it pretty quickly actually and I was told that was because it was an extention of my survivors benefits.My father passed when I was 13.

Not long after I was diagnosed with FMS.When It came to the first review of my case(to determine if I was still elegable to recieve benefits,cases are usually reviewed every 3-5 years if I remember correctly)the forms asked if I had developed any other problems sinse I first got disability.I put down I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.I asked my doctor if this would help my case.She said not much.I was surprised to hear that I had a better chance focasing on my mental illness rather than the physical.Boy was I nervous because between the depression,anxiety and fibromyalgia I was a wreck and there was no way I could work.But the ruling ended in my favor.So I would agree with everyone else that you should focus more on the depression.I know a lot of people on SSDI or SSI for mental illness.Im now 26 years old and still on disability but I hope that one day I will not need it anymore.

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  10. klroxx

klroxx New Member

Yes, it is possible. I got it after 8 months of having fibro and cfs. I also have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, I am not sure if that helped or not. Please see my Social Security Alert on the 6/17 message board. We all need to contact the Social Security Administration before July 7,2003 in order to comment on new changes to the proposed immune disorders.

klroxx