Is it just me? or all people who have fibro get sick easlier?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, May 16, 2010.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I seem to be getting a lot of illness's this year. Cough, stuffy nose, bacterial infections like brochcial issuse's, I coulgh till i feel like my lungs have been coughed up. Last week I woke up with the worst sore throat, felt like i had just had my tonsils removed again. { did that when I was 20} I saw my Doctor who knows how fast I get a bacterial infection that ends up in my lungs. So he put me on an anticoitic it has helped greatly but I still have some problems that I am going to discuss with his later to day.

This is about the 4th or 5th time i have had this same type of illness minus the really bad sore throat, I ache all over . my bones feel like they are breaking and my pain tolerance is shot . I dont' remember getting sick so often and feeling sick for so long. It takes me a couple of weeks to recover from each bout of bronchitis ect.
    I am wondering is it NORMAL for some one with fibro to get sick more often and take longer to recoever from the illness? I am so tired of being sick and feeling sick too.

I have blamed the illness's on not sleeping at night, I can't fall alseep in my bed so i doze in the chair or on the couch. We had to get a new bed at the old water bed leaked and i was tired of drowning every night. Our new bed is not a brand name or a really spendy matteress,just your standard soft materss with box springs. I really wanted to get a inteligel matterss but they cost a small fourtune and I don't have it. I know that some of the sleep issues I have came from all the money problems we had last year and the beginning of this year. This are better but money is really tight still.
    Sorry I have wandered off the topic.
    Do people with fibro get sicker more ofter? Thanks for listening.
    Rose marie

LEFTYGG Member

hi Rosemarie I very seldom get sick i cant remember the last time I took an antibiotic. i have fibro and the pain is bad enough I cant imagine coughing all the time. my DH coughs continuouslytill I think hes gonna pass out.

Do you take any antioxidents. try taking a couple capsules a couple times a day. hope you feel better love gail
  3. kat211

kat211 New Member

I actually have a terrible cold/sinus infection right now. I take many antioxidants and have a very healthy diet. I did make it through the winter without getting the flu, which was a first in as long as I can remember. I did have a massive ebstein barr flare, but I have had one about every 8 months for the past few years.
  4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

But when I had anesthesia in '08, after surgery, I got flu twice and bronchitis and laryngitis and have experienced bursitis, flare-ups of pain, and arthritis flares ever since. My immune system took a hit then really badly.

I worked in the medical field and I felt my immune system was overactive because I always have break-outs of eczema on the skin and cracked hands and fingers and heels. Plus, I never got sick.

Now, I don't get sick, but have the flares of the skin and pain. My hope is to get back to where I was before the surgery.

5. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I was a sickly child, then got mono when I was about 19 and in college. I went through a period of time when I was super healthy, lost a lot of weight, even started to run competitively.....then, I got FM.

Since then, I catch anything and everything. There are times I will catch the flu, and my daughter who lives with me, doesnt. If she does happen to get the flu, I am guaranteed to get it and much, much worse, sometimes 3 times longer.
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I rarely get sick. I might get the start of something, but I don't catch things very easily at all.
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

The first 6 years of being sick with FM I rarely got sick...even when my kids were sick....since this past christmas, I have caught a sore throat, body aches, and cold 3-4 times and each time it was a few days after leaving the house....I am sick right now after I had a great day on Saturday and went to the greenhouse, took my boys to the DQ, and went to target....then I planted the plants I bought...I was dying by the time I finished.....sore throat started up on sunday afternoon.....

i am mostly housebound and have been almost the entire time I have had FM

I am getting afraid to go anywhere now.
  8. Sonny1

Sonny1 New Member

I agree with the zinc. My doctor suggested that to me years ago when she thought i was healing too slowly from surgery. Also eating more protien.I use a whey protien in a shake, as I am more of a bread, pasta person than a meat lover.I do believe our immunue sytem is compromised,although it hasnt been proven yet.Its just that I have lived this and thats how I feel.
  9. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I don't get sick. I think it could be the amount of antioxidants I take a day. Also Jaminhealth has some good advice about the Grape Seed. Check out her posts.

Also, the first sign of "something" I take Lysin.[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2010]
  10. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

are these colds you mention getting every time you leave your house accompanied by running noses and sneezing, like any other cold?
  11. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Well. Here are my thoughts.

I have M.E.; I also have FM.

For about a year my M.E. went into remission and I only had to deal with the FM at the time. I got a cold that knocked me for a loop. But I was functional three days later.

When I get a cold with M.E. it takes me at least two weeks to get rid of most of the symptoms, and an addtional month or two recovering from the mini-relapse.

So personally I do not associate FM with longer periods of illness. I have family members who also have FM, and while they feel completely incapacitated for the first few days of whatever they contract (oh, the pain!!!), they do not heal any slower.

But since you mention bronchitis, that infection alone can take weeks to heal, even in a healthy individual.

Your mattress: Yes! Invest in something for your sleep, it's unbelievably important! I bought two semi-expensive foam toppers ($40 worth; combined they're about 3 inches thick) for lack of getting a new bed. I can't sleep on anything else. I once had to stay at a friend's house and I lasted all of two hours on her "normal" bed before I awoke in so much pain I could barely get myself up, and it was from sleeping on that type of mattress. Relieving pressure off the tender points can help a tremendous amount.