Is it OK to crush or grind supplements for better absorption?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carolyn0508, May 31, 2003.

1. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

I had Ester C in a powder form and couldn't find it again so I bought the tablets and ground them. I use supplements in gel caps, liquid or capusules whenever possible but sometimes just can't find them that way. Does pulverizing affect their effectivness in any way? Thanks so much for each and all responses.

Cheers
    Carolyn
  2. Wezz

Wezz New Member

Grinding should help absorbtion. I have been crunching my vitamins for some time. Too many vitamins may not be good though. You can get toxic levels of some vitamins in your body if you over- do. I kind of have a 'on and off'routine
    with most things I take. Recovery is slow and I dont think there is a magic cure. You may wish to try SAMe (supplement)
    I think it helped me with aches and pains and headaches
    although it caused some mood swings at first. I also rely
    heavily on hot bathes and vegie juice. If you try SAMe be sure to read warnings-it may interact with some medications.

Hope this helps,
    Wezz[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2003]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If they are time released do not crush or open them. They are designed for each of the little balls to release at different times. It could cause serious problems if you crushed them.

As for the others, if you are unsure, just call or email the manufacturer they would be glad to tell you.

There is a company that sells the vitamin C in powder form as well as the capsules, its 'Puritan Pride'.

But the powder form is not the Ester C. They also have the chewable vitamin C, and the liquid.

Hope this helps...................

Shalom, Shirl
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Absorption problems can be worked on. I would recommend this if you aren't doing so already. The health of your GI tract can be greatly improved. After all, if you are having problems absorbing vitamins, you are having problems absorbing nutrients from your foods as well. I would highly recommend testing (stool samples) to discover exactly what your digestive system is lacking, and that which it contains that is detrimental. Parasites, Fungi, and Bacteria, can certainly contribute to malabsorption problems. This sets up leaky gut syndrome, and then toxins and pathogens are able to cross what was once a healthy protective barrier. If a problem is discovered, it can be remedied and then a quality probiotic introduced.

Best wishes, LL
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Plus,I would add that digestive enzymes can help you absorb nutriton much better. Klutzo
  6. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

digestive enzymes out there ?