Is it OK to use Essential Oils in a bath?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by janieb, Feb 18, 2006.

1. janieb

janieb New Member

I printed the lists Claudia had out there, and came to the conclusion that almost every essential oil was not OK for our makeup, etc. Now I'm reading about people putting it in their bath water. Is that not going to cause blocking?

I really love my essential oils but have stopped using them. There's a body spray with lavendar oil I purchased and now it's just sitting in the linen closet.

Mary
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I think you are talking about what can be used with Guai, are you not? Perhaps you could change your title; it's a bit confusing and you will get more appropriate responses.

Kathy.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Essential oils at all, even though I will occasionally suggest them for others. Like sniffing Peppermint oil to keep you alert.

The skin is the largest organ in the body and as such can absorb a great deal.

A woman I know who sells essential oils is always rubbing them via her palms to others which I feel is bad for her as she takes in lots of oils throughout the day that way.

If we remember that poison Ivy essential oil is what gives us the rash, then just because some thing is all natural does not mean to say we can over use it or use it too liberally.

I would hesitate personally.

My friend sells EOils and I can no longer visit her house without feeling ill and dizzy due to diffuser etc. In fact, it was when she visited me I first got the vertigo which could have been from her using diffuser in her room.

So make sure you go steady. Although some people swear by them, right now it is the "new hot item" and things may change-remember magnets????

Love Anne C
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

That's a difficult question to answer. I make my own essential oils and I have for years.
    Use of pure essential oils is different for everyone. They are too strong for some people and some people have allergies others have no problem putting them directly on thier skin. If you are applying to your skin in 1 area there is not great problems with that.
    As for adding them to a bath in thier pure form than you would be adding a very small amount to a large amount of water, this is safe. But we are talking about a small amount like a capful off a 1DRAM bottle (diameter of a dime).
    If you get non-pure or a mixture of oils these are often cut with another oil. When looking for these try to get ones that are cut with Jojoba Oil. Jojoba oil is not a true oil, it is more like a liquid wax. It takes a very long time to "go bad" and there are very few people who will have a reaction to this.
    Another oil that is commonly used to cut these pure oils is Sweet Almond Oil, it is also very safe.
    Just be careful as to what ingredients are in your oils or purchase them from someone you trust who makes thier own.

You can always buy your own Jojoba Oil to dilute some of the pure oils yourself to make them less harsh.

Another thing you can try is bath salts. These are usually Epsom Salts mixed with theraputic and essential oils (in small amounts) The salt is very good for your body.
  5. janieb

janieb New Member

Your suggestion was a good one. My question was will it block when using the Guai protocol.

Thanks.

Mary
  6. Jude

Jude New Member

During a bath the water is usually warm which causes pores to open up. If you are on the guaifenesin protocol essential oils will block you.

Jude