Is it possible to Herx from stopping smoking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goingslowlycrazy, May 8, 2003.

1. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

Hi guys,
    I would appreciate your input on this one.

I bit the bullet and stopped smoking on Sunday. I am using nicotine gums as a substitute - not brave enough for cold turkey!

I was doing ok until I woke up this morning, with an extremely painful mouth ulcer that meant I couldn't close my teeth together fully...yukky!

I have put some 'bonjela' on it which is helping, but now I have a raging sore throat, a bad headache, all the glands are up in my neck and I have a low grade fever.

Is this a herx reaction to my body starting to rid itself of the cigarette nasties - or have I just got a cold coming on?

I stopped smoking purely to try and improve my health and to feel three times worse is very disheartening...although I appreciate that this could be short term, so I am hangin on in there and staying off the ciggies :O)

Would be interested to know your thoughts and experiences on this one...and we're supposed to be going to my SO's brothers wedding tomorrow...great!!!

hugs
    Mary x
  2. coyote

coyote New Member

The end result will be worthwhile. The mouth sore could be from the nicotine gum, so you probably want to wean yourself off it sometime soon.
    you'll know for sure if the rest is a cold or whatever.
    As I remember, lots of people complain about feeling lousy after quitting smoking, but it's temporary.
    Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
    Been there, a few times.
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

Good for you quitting! It is probably one of the hardest things you will ever do - I know this because I have not succeeded YET. I have made several attempts at this and yes, what you are experiencing is more than likely a reaction to toxins leaving your body. The first few weeks are pure hell, but they say it gets easier. I quit a zillion times, the longest being 8 months. I am overdue for another attempt.

Good luck to you
    PS: Avoid smokers like the plague at the wedding, and enjoy

2girls
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

is no doubt from the gum. It's alot stronger than you think. When I stopped smoking, I didn't experience anything physical other than the desire to smoke. No sore throat, etc.... I think your body doesn't like that nocotine in your mouth and throat.

Marilyn :)
  5. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I had horrble nights for a while... headaches, shakes, sweats sore throat etc. but, it went a way after a few days and was DEFINATELY worth it. I only chewed the gum for a few minutes at a time & didn't keep it in my mouth. Maybe that will help. Stay with it!

Lisa