Is it really Fibro fog or am I going insane?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeljoe, Dec 25, 2005.

1. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I really have lost my mind because of this disease. I can't think clearly enough to carry on a conversation. I am forgeting words. My vocabulary is rubish these days. I can't believe that I forget how to get to certain places I've been hundreds of times before. My children get upset with me because I have to drive in circles to find a local grocery store. I worry that I am going to cause harm to my family or myself because I have become so inattentive lately. I try so hard to be organized but constantly lose things I put in a safe place. Please someone tell me this is normal for Fibromyalgia? I have left our oven on for three hours by accident. I've put pajama pants on top of pajama pants on my daughter. She thought it was comical, but for me it was another brainless moment. I miss doctor's and dentist appointments for myself and my kids by completely being absent-minded. I am now beginning to worry because I've taken medication twice by accident on several different occasions. I always separate my medicines in daily order. So, How could I double the dose? I think I'm also becoming compulsive because I'll get out of bed to check the door locks, make sure the stove is off and re-program the alarm. I do this 2-3 times before I'm comfortable enough to actually get in bed for the night. Are there medications for this fog crap? Maybe I have gone astray somewhere? My mind has vanished and I have no idea where to look? I am baffled by this horrible brain freeze. It is frightening what will happen next..
    Please someone give a peaceful resolution to this chaos?
    Angela
  2. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I am getting so bad at these things that its scaring me. I too forget where I'm going and when I remember I forget how to get there.
    I have ran red lights without even knowing it. I will ask a question and then turn right around and ask it again. Of course my family thinks its amusing but I feel like they are even getting woried. I'm not sure what exactly is causing this. Maybe I'm so focused on the pain I'm in that I just don't pay enough attention?
    Its routine around here for me to lose something and we almost always find it in the fridge, even the phone!
    Some days I take my meds and I know I'm supposed to take more but can't figure out what I'm missing even with the bottles on front of me. So some days I might take 3 pills and the next day it could be 7. Pretty scary.
    Most everyone says this is common behavior for people with fibro. You should mention it to your doctor though.
    cindy
  3. 8bears

8bears New Member

Hello Cindy and Angela,
    I know that this is frightening, I also have this same thing going on. I find my dishcloth in the fridge and I walk into another room to get something and don`t know what it was, I also have a hard time talking with anyone as I can not keep in mind what we were talking about, mostly it we talk more than 5 minutes. I do watch my meds as I am so afraid of messing up on them and then the Migrans (spell) hit. See I also forget how to spell and it makes me so mad as I know it is spelled wrong but, I cannot think how to spell it right.

I am so glad my husband was a teacher and never gets upset with me and he helps me out, only thing is he is sleeping now HA! Anway I still would mention it to your doctor. Loretta
  4. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I to have all of the same things happening to me! I feel like I am also going insane. I have a wonderful Dr. except that he does not believe that these things are caused by the fibromyalgia but side effects from the medications! I do not agree with him and have told him that I was having these problems before I was on medications, he just kind of changes the subject, he even sent me last week for a brain scan after I had talked about it so much, problem is one of the reasons besides the pain for not being able to work that I listed with ss was cognitive problems...
  5. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

Thanks to everyone that replied. It really does make me feel somewhat better to know that I'm not truely insane. I also forget how to spell certain words that I should know. My husband gets annoyed with me because I need directions to everywhere I go. He doesn't understand Fibromyalgia muchless fibro fog. It does seem sensible to mention this to my PCP. Thanks again for your advice and sharing your experiences with me.

Hugs through the fog,
    Angela
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

you are so not alone.. I am in daily fear that my fibro-fog is going to cost me my job.. If you do a search here for fibro fog you are going to be amazed at how much comes up on this.. I've done it all.. gotten lost on the way to work.. lost on the way home.. heck I even wore two different shoes to work one time!! It can be scary, sometimes humorous, mostly frustrating. There are alot of us here that used to be, or are still business professionals that can look at a table and not remember the word for it.. I have found that since I've been on Cymbalta it has been better but not perfect, it still rears it's ugly head to make me feel like an idiot... My daughter calls it part-timers.. cuz I only forget part of the time!! You are certainly not alone.. I wish there was an answer for us.