Is it safe to say everyone with FM is a highly sensitive person?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

It seems like nice people are the ones that get this illness. Why?

Very odd.
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

it does seem that everyone on here is very nice....:)
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I've noticed the same thing. I don't know anyone with FM or CFS who's not very sensitive. Maybe we just don't let things roll off our backs as easily?

Marta
  4. azbubba

azbubba New Member

I am a pretty easy-going person for the most part. But, I know there are times where something crawls up my tailpipe and lays eggs...especially when it comes to this dd.

What sets me off more than anything: "wow, you look like you feel great today!"

Which, if you don't know me...just means I'm not letting it show as much.

Gentle, non-offending hugs,
    Bubba
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I do think that pain and suffering people often have a lot more sympathy with others. It could be "walk a mile in someone's shoes" that is in play.

It also could be that as "nice" people we tend to take on the problems of the world, be caregivers naturally etc. and this could overburden our bodies for sure.

On the other hand there have been a few people who jump on and off the board here who have been real meanies(but thankfully they never stay!)

When one looks at all the saints, I suppose that it would be hard to find one or two who had not suffered tremendously themselves. The same can be said of true world leaders(not really talking of politicians here)who suffered greatly too. Maybe FDR cared so much due to his own pain?

One thing, I am certainly glad all the nice people ARE here.

Love Anne
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Well Im not sensitive in the way that if you said something mean to me that it would hurt my feelings. I take that "I am a brick wall" mentality.

I really dont care what people think of me because if they dont like me or they are mean...then that is their problem, and they should find something better to do than to make fun.

Now if someone was to say something about someone I care about, then we will have a problem! I dont get upset about it...i get really mad, which unfortunatly is not a good thing sometimes. It is good to stick up for yourself and for others, but it is not good all the time to give it back to them! (which i tend to do!!!)

Stephanie
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I have been told I am overly sensitive and I know I'm very tender hearted. I have tough skin if needed but it doesn't take much to upset me.

Love & Hugs

carolin
  8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

As I was reading the post from others, I believe people are reading your post with two different views...as we are overly sensitive or are we nice. I am going with nice people that get sick...because I was always such a strong person.

I know that was being nice was true for me. I have been told I was co-dependent. I always wanted to fix every one's problems and I was very good at that. It did take its toll on me. I realize now that it fulfilled a need in me to be needed. The board now helps me fill that need and I think it does for others also. We may not be able to do what we once did, but we can help each other and most everyone needs to feel needed and needs help. I know I need help and I need for all of you nice people to help me and hopefully, I can return the favor.
  9. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Hi,

I am a very sensitive person myself. I have been told that I take things too personally, but ya know, I am not the type to just forget about other people and there feelings as well.

I keep reminding myself that God only gives me what I can handle and FM is something I need to get a handle on if I can help it, but with sensitivity to others as I go through this desease with my family and friends.

Take Care, and Yes we are sensitive caring people, God made us that way for a reason!

God Bless!

Kathy
  10. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I agree most of us are because of the things we have gone through .I think when a person is misunderstood about an issure like their health and pain it does make us a little more sensitive but that can go for people with other terrible health problems.

But catch me on a really bad day and hummm I can be really blunt and not sensitive at all .LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2006]
  11. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Sensitive seems the norm though...as in we care alot about people and their feelings.

If we weren't strong, we would all jump off a bridge.
  12. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Sensitive person+ emotional trauma + more emotional trauma+ Toxic environment = damage to limbic system = altered state of brain chemicals = chronic pain.

I would bet limbic area of brain is damaged. You just don't meet someone that is a nasty SOB with FM. You don't.

13. happy131

happy131 New Member

This is not one of my best days but I have to agree with you. The reply from 1sweetie, fits me to a tee!

I seem to think I have to help everyone and take on their problems. Co-Dependent would be me! I think I'm nice but do have my limits. Need to set more limits and relax more.

Good Topic!
  14. happy131

happy131 New Member

This is not one of my best days but I have to agree with you. The reply from 1sweetie, fits me to a tee!

I seem to think I have to help everyone and take on their problems. Co-Dependent would be me! I think I'm nice but do have my limits. Need to set more limits and relax more.

Good Topic!