Is it safe to take zoloft and benadryl together?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Misdiagnosed, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi
    Does anyone know if you can safely take these together.
    Taken my first Zoloft tonight and woke up at 4am again.
    Am feeling exhausted and want to go to sleep but my mind feels too active.

Thanks
    Gill
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

There should be no problem with this combination, but call your pharmacist to be sure. They know all about this stuff, and in my experience, they like to be asked their opinions.
    Zoloft gave me a non-stop 24 hr. per day headache. I hope it does not do that to you.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have you tried taking the supplement; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6) at night before you go to bed? It is wonderful for keeping you in a deep sleep after your sleep meds wear off.

It takes about ten days to two weeks to really feel the differnece in the sleep patterns, not a quick fix.

I take a 25milligram of Xanax at 6pm
    Then the ZMA at 10pm
    And 3milligrams of Melatonin right before bed.

I have been sleeping great now for a year since I added the ZMA.

You can read more about it at the 'Store' link here at Pro Health. It is also great for pain.

As an after though, I also use a wireless mattress heating pad, it helps with the pain and the morning stiffness too.

Shalom, Shirl

PS, Benadryl reacts on me like 'speed' instead of putting me to sleep, I feel like I am flying!
  4. abalone

abalone New Member

I am a family nurse practitioner in North Carolina and new to this board . . .
    I cannot imagine or know of any problems with taking Zoloft and Benadryl together. However, since both medications act on the central nervous system, the one possibility is increased sedation (which may be a good thing). I would feel comfortable telling any one of my patients to take these two medications together.

By the way, I am 30 years old, female, and have been feeling for 2 years like I have the flu, plus very painful back problems, daily headaches, etc. I am working on seeing a local physician for a possible fibromyalgia diagnosis.

Good luck.
  5. Lau

Lau New Member

Gill,
    I've been taking benedryl at night for years along with other medications (with have changed thru the years). Right now I'm taking Ambien & benedryl but at one point I know I was taking Zoloft also. The meds alone were never enough to help me sleep, and I thought this was harmless since I do have allergies anyway.

Check with your doctor or pharmacist just to be sure.

Best of Luck-Laurie